ADVERTISEMENT

Mechanical warranty on replacement engine

Dreshorn

Gold Member
Sep 22, 2015
Austin
I purchased a 96 Bronco and "lightly" restored it. My original thought is to replace the engine. The shop I used told me it would be cheaper to go through the old one, upgrade it with performance parts, etc - and I agreed. When they tore it apart, they found other issues, which made it a complete overhaul, anyway, the bill comes to 13K. The engine is strong and sounds great so I'm basically happy to have my high school dream car.

They told me to drive it 500 miles and bring it back

18 months and 300 miles later, the engine blows a rod and punctures the oil pan - destroying the engine. The diagnosis is it was run without oil, which is incorrect. I saw a massive oil slick where she coasted to rest on 360.

Somehow they found me a brand new 351 (no performance parts) for free under warranty - but I got a bill for $8000 for the labor to install it.

Their claim is I was out of warranty due to the time frame. Do they have any responsibility for the labor costs? I don't want to be a dick, but now Im 20K+ into the engine which I would have preferred to replace from the beginning.

• Wow
Reactions: PaulieD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News