ADVERTISEMENT

MM

FlourBluffHorn

Jan 5, 2007
Come on now every body had their Hero growing up, mine just happen to be Royal, yes I wish he would have lasted forever...

Who was your FB hero? Hell, everyone on here got one.

Hook'em

Earl, yes. Others, as a Houstonian, is sacrilegious.

Why hate on the Cowboys? They're a Texas legend. I've never gotten Houston fans obsessed hatred and jealousy towards Dallas. Dallas doesn't obsess over Houston, I can promise you that.

Oldman Astro....There was a bar on Hilcroft called Vic Taylor's where all the Oilers hung out. Carl Mauch loved to tend bar. Pastorini was there quite a bit as well. Gordi Howe and his 2 sona Mark and Marty were regulars along with their wives. At that time the Oilers were perinnial 2-10 and thus were very approachable. We were there for the darts and sometimes Pastorini would come back and play with us.

Oldman Astro....There was a bar on Hilcroft called Vic Taylor's where all the Oilers hung out. Carl Mauch loved to tend bar. Pastorini was there quite a bit as well. Gordi Howe and his 2 sona Mark and Marty were regulars along with their wives. At that time the Oilers were perinnial 2-10 and thus were very approachable. We were there for the darts and sometimes Pastorini would come back and play with us.
Nice! I loved Carl Mauch! I remember Vic's.

Why hate on the Cowboys? They're a Texas legend. I've never gotten Houston fans obsessed hatred and jealousy towards Dallas. Dallas doesn't obsess over Houston, I can promise you that.
Because it's Dallas. No jealousy whatsoever. Cowboys and cowboys fans always seemed to think they were "better" than us Houston fans.

Come on MM....you cant blame Houston fans for hating the Cowboys. I myself(a lifelong Cowboys fan) can understand it. The Cowboys were yearly favorites for the Super Bowl and the poor Hapless Oilers were just plain bad. Even that song.....Houston Oilers....Houston Oilers....when you're talkin Houston Oilers you talkin Super Bowl.....was written as a joke. The Oilers had Back to back 2-10 seasons while the Cowboys won and won. Then Earl came in and the Oilers had a great turnaround under Phillips, but most of Texas still adored the Cowboys. If you were in Houston at the time you would still hate on the 'boys as well.

Because it's Dallas. No jealousy whatsoever. Cowboys and cowboys fans always seemed to think they were "better" than us Houston fans.

Houston fans are jealous and envy Dallas because of the Cowboys success and the lack of success by the Oilers and Texans. Seem to think? The Cowboys are better than anything Houston had or has, lol. I don't think there is any debating that. :D

Come on MM....you cant blame Houston fans for hating the Cowboys. I myself(a lifelong Cowboys fan) can understand it. The Cowboys were yearly favorites for the Super Bowl and the poor Hapless Oilers were just plain bad. Even that song.....Houston Oilers....Houston Oilers....when you're talkin Houston Oilers you talkin Super Bowl.....was written as a joke. The Oilers had Back to back 2-10 seasons while the Cowboys won and won. Then Earl came in and the Oilers had a great turnaround under Phillips, but most of Texas still adored the Cowboys. If you were in Houston at the time you would still hate on the 'boys as well.

That song was actually written first for the Miami Dolphins and Houston copycatted it. Hell, I live in the Houston area and have never liked either the Oilers or Texans. All Cowboys, baby. There are a LOT of Cowboys fans in Houston. I would estimate about 35-40% of football fans here are Cowboys fans. Houston fans look ridiculous with their obsession with the Cowboys. Sadly and embarrassingly, they would rather see them lose than the Texans win. :rolleyes:

MM I lived in Houston from 1972 until 1978....I was always a diehard Cowboys fan.....pissed because I couldnt watch blacked out Cowboy games.

Back then they didn't have it, but I've had NFL Sunday ticket for over 10 years. That solved that problem.

I was born in Dallas in 1971 and lived there until my family moved to N.B. in 1979. I can quote more players names off those 70's and 80's Cowboys rosters than any teams today. Back then it didn't matter so much if the Cowboys were winning, I was a fan and I was watching regardless. So many great players from that time period. For me, Staubach, Dorsett and maybe the most diehard Cowboy of all time, Bill Bates.

MM I lived in Houston from 1972 until 1978....I was always a diehard Cowboys fan.....pissed because I couldnt watch blacked out Cowboy games.
I grew up in East Texas in this period, and our TV affiliates were all in Shreveport. All we got was Saints football - And that was some bad football! I spent many Sundays on the roof moving the antenna to pick up the Tyler station so we could get the Cowboys. There is one huge example of how the good old days weren't always so good - long live cable and DirecTV!

Reactions: oldhorn2
I was born in Dallas in 1971 and lived there until my family moved to N.B. in 1979. I can quote more players names off those 70's and 80's Cowboys rosters than any teams today. Back then it didn't matter so much if the Cowboys were winning, I was a fan and I was watching regardless. So many great players from that time period. For me, Staubach, Dorsett and maybe the most diehard Cowboy of all time, Bill Bates.
Me too. On our playground, Tony Hill was the favorite. Of course, before our game during recess, we would call out who we were. "I am Tony Hill" was always the 1st and probably Drew Pearson/Randy White/Too Tall/Harvey Martin would follow in no particular order. I don't know why but, Staubach or Dorsett weren't ones we would ever have to fight over.

Reactions: Belldozer1
do ya'll remember that the original "Dooms day" D Line was ...Willey,Lilly, Jethro and George...fabulous....

Actually most of us that were little boys in Dallas back in the day were Dallas Texan fans. The Cowboys pulled up the chicken wire for field goals and extra points. If there wasn't enough scoring, the Texans would send a guy with a football to each end zone and punt it in so we could fight over it. I think the huddle club was $1. You got an end zone ticket, a t shirt, and a bunch of useless stuff. Wonder how much a tshirt and a bag would be worth today?

The games were blacked out because the Cotton Bowl wasn't sold out. So, Texas stadium was a little smaller.

I grew up in East Texas in this period, and our TV affiliates were all in Shreveport. All we got was Saints football - And that was some bad football! I spent many Sundays on the roof moving the antenna to pick up the Tyler station so we could get the Cowboys. There is one huge example of how the good old days weren't always so good - long live cable and DirecTV!
I also lived in Shreveport for a year and half on a job transfer during the mid-70's and it was a town that seemed split on the Saints and Cowboys and what I hated that I had to get real close the radio to listen to any Longhorns games and little newspaper print on the Longhorns.I was able to get transferred back to Texas and I have not left .

Come on now every body had their Hero growing up, mine just happen to be Royalo.o, yes I wish he would have lasted9 forever...
Quarter Ave 3enot ebb wfe4 wss
Who was your FB herio? Hell, everyone on here got onef eyes eat.i
W4 I ee 7
es
Tre
Y not sh w8ds
2nd
Hook'em

I can't speak for anyone else but to me the Cowboys were just like the Yankees, Lakers & ..*GASP....Longhorns. You are either a diehard fan or hate them with a passion. All the money, media, all-star laden roster & pundit hype because they were who they were.
Jealous of the attention?....not really. Jealous of the success at the time?.....absolutely. As for the continued disliking, that's because of the fanbase similarity to aggy syndrome. "We're the best and gonna win it all" every single preseason even when EVERYBODY else knows you're going to be mediocre at best.
With all that being said, you've got one helluva team with young studs in skill positions that should keep you as a legitimate contender for years to come. If Texans could ever get a good qb to go with what they already have, they'll be a handful as well.

'Horns Stroz Texans Spurs & Blanco Panthers for me

Reactions: Oldmanastro
I can't speak for anyone else but to me the Cowboys were just like the Yankees, Lakers & ..*GASP....Longhorns. You are either a diehard fan or hate them with a passion. All the money, media, all-star laden roster & pundit hype because they were who they were.
Jealous of the attention?....not really. Jealous of the success at the time?.....absolutely. As for the continued disliking, that's because of the fanbase similarity to aggy syndrome. "We're the best and gonna win it all" every single preseason even when EVERYBODY else knows you're going to be mediocre at best.
With all that being said, you've got one helluva team with young studs in skill positions that should keep you as a legitimate contender for years to come. If Texans could ever get a good qb to go with what they already have, they'll be a handful as well.

'Horns Stroz Texans Spurs & Blanco Panthers for me

GF, no, the Cowboys fan base is not like aggy. The Cowboys, like the Longhorns, have skins on the wall. The Texans and aggy do not. The Texans and their fans = NFL aggy, which is a perfect name for them, and is what I've called them for years. They have a huge inferiority complex and obsess over the Cowboys just like aggy does over Texas. Neither have won a damn thing of significance in their existence, yet with the amount of trash they talk, you would think they were some kind of blueblood. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Cotton #12
GF, no, the Cowboys fan base is not like aggy. The Cowboys, like the Longhorns, have skins on the wall. The Texans and aggy do not. The Texans and their fans = NFL aggy, which is a perfect name for them, and is what I've called them for years. They have a huge inferiority complex and obsess over the Cowboys just like aggy does over Texas. Neither have won a damn thing of significance in their existence, yet with the amount of trash they talk, you would think they were some kind of blueblood. :rolleyes:

I think ya took my point out of context a bit. Yes, Cowboys have skins but they too haven't "won a damn thing of significance" since 1996 but according to their fanbase they are always pre-season champs no matter what the reality is. That is identical to aggy fan.

You asked why Texan fans hate the cowboys & that's my personal opinion. That and employing Barry Switzer.....unforgivable. haha!

The games were blacked out because the Cotton Bowl wasn't sold out. So, Texas stadium was a little smaller.

No.....in Houston the games were blacked out because the Oilers could not come close to selling out Rice stadium. Therefore no NFL games were ever broadcast.

No.....in Houston the games were blacked out because the Oilers could not come close to selling out Rice stadium. Therefore no NFL games were ever broadcast.
Dallas or Houston, there weren't near as many fans, nor did they spend near as much money as today.

By the time I moved to Houston ...1972...Dallas had been one of the top teams for over 6 years and had chingles of fans....they were one of the top draws in the NFL

OK...since you are not paying attention to what I am writing I will try it another way....

Whatever the attendance was in Dallas was totally irrelevant. Because I lived in Houston which was an NFL city.....if the local team had a ho e game and that game was not a sellout NO NFL games could be shown. Not the Giants,Rams....NONE.Had I lived in Odessa or Brownsville I could have watched a!! The games as they were broadcast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT