ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Mock Draft 2022: Lottery Picks (1-14)

Keenan Womack

Gold Member
Jul 4, 2021
MOCK DRAFT

Over the last few weeks, I've been compiling my draft board and mock, which are different. The mock is where I think they'll go, while the board is the order in which I have them as prospect potential. Here are my projected lottery picks, with reasoning for each, as well as player comparisons.

Comparisons are tough, and aren't always perfect, but I figured that having at least some sort of reference for how these guys play would be helpful.

1. Orlando Magic
Jabari Smith Jr., PF, Auburn
6'10, 220 lbs
Prospect rank: 2nd
Player comp: Chris Bosh

Though I think Holmgen is the best player in the class, it’s been rumored that the Magic will be taking Smith no. 1 overall. The floor-spreading, sharp-shooting power forward brings shot making as well as defense to the Magic, giving them a piece they can build around. He could easily be Orlando’s top scorer sooner rather than later, and provide solid defense as a 3-and-D player.

2. Oklahoma City Thunder
Chet Holmgren, C, Gonzaga
7'1, 195 lbs
Prospect rank: 1st
Player comp: Kristaps Porzingis w/ higher defensive upside

Chet Holmgren is a unique prospect; it was hard to draw any kind of player comparison to him as he’s so much different than any player we’ve seen before. His defensive upside makes him the best player in the draft in my opinion, as he can single-handedly shut down fastbreaks and provide superb rim protection and help defense. His skill offensively is impressive as well, as he can shoot and even occasionally put the ball on the floor. He’s a bit more of a risk than Smith, but his ceiling is as high as any.

3. Houston Rockets
Paolo Banchero, PF, Duke
6'10, 250 lbs
Prospect rank: 3rd
Player comp: 2020-21 Julius Randle

Paolo Banchero is a slight notch below the top two prospects due to inconsistent defense and shooting, but his passer’s vision and ability to create offensively make him intriguing. The Christian Wood trade all but solidifies that Houston will be taking Banchero third overall in the draft, starting him with a young core of Jalen Green and Alperen Sengun. Having two bigs who can create will be interesting if they can overcome the lack of defense between the two.

4. Sacramento Kings
Keegan Murray, PF, Iowa
6'8, 225 lbs
Prospect rank: 5th
Player comp: Tobias Harris w/ better shooting

Sacramento has concerns about Jaden Ivey’s fit with De’Aaron Fox, and Ivey has not had a workout for the Kings yet, either. This leads me to believe they will draft Keegan Murray with the fourth pick. Murray was an elite scorer in college last year at 23.5 points per game, and shoots the ball well, especially for a big. He averaged nearly 40% from three with the Hawkeyes in his sophomore season. He will provide immediate scoring next to another good scorer, Domantas Sabonis, in the front court.

5. Detroit Pistons
Jaden Ivey, SG, Purdue
6'4, 195 lbs
Prospect rank: 4th
Player comp: Ja Morant

If Detroit lands Jaden Ivey, they will create one of the most formidable young back courts in the NBA, as Ivey and Cade Cunningham compliment each other so well. Ivey is an elite athlete, even for the Association, whose primary gift is attacking the basket. He would play off-ball a lot of the time, as Cunningham would control the pace and allow Ivey to cut with his unmatched speed. This would be the ideal get for the Pistons at five if Ivey doesn’t get drafted beforehand.

6. Indiana Pacers
Ben Mathurin, SG/SF, Arizona
6'6, 190 lbs
Prospect rank: 6th
Player comp: Jaylen Brown

I’m extremely high on Ben Mathurin, a guard/wing from Arizona who exploded his sophomore season, winning the Pac-12 Player of the Year award. A great athlete who is all about effort and motor, Mathurin can play alongside Tyrese Haliburton as a scoring threat and a guy that hustles on defense. He averaged nearly 18 points per game for the Wildcats while providing maximum effort on both sides of the ball. He would be an excellent choice for the Pacers, who need his abilities. Watch out for Mathurin going forward – I think he has all-star potential.

7. Portland Trailblazers
Shaedon Sharpe, SG, Kentucky
6'6, 200 lbs
Prospect rank: 7th
Player comp: Andrew Wiggins, CJ McCollum

Shaedon Sharpe didn’t play a single minute for Kentucky last season after enrolling in the spring, but his talent will still land him in the early-to-mid lottery. Going off of his performances in EYBL, he’s a guy that shoots the ball quite a bit, but, as Ryen Russillo said, “he makes it enough times that you kind of let him.” He's a mystery prospect really, as I mentioned before, and his workouts weren't great at first. However, he is another guy that, if he puts it all together, could be a steal at seven.

8. New Orleans Pelicans
Dyson Daniels, SG, G-League Ignite
6'8, 200 lbs
Prospect rank: 8th
Player comp: Lonzo Ball

The Pelicans are already in a good spot going forward, especially if they can get Zion Williamson back into game shape. Dyson Daniels is a guy with potential on both sides of the ball. He's an elite defender, and can impact the defensive side of the ball immediately for the Pelicans. He's nearly 6'8 as a guard/wing, so he has the size to guard 1-4 pretty easily. He's also an impressive rebounder. If he can figure out his shot from deep (25% last year), he could end up being a steal at the eighth pick.

9. San Antonio Spurs
Jalen Duren, C, Memphis
6'11, 250 lbs
Prospect rank: 13th
Player comp: DeAndre Jordan

Jakob Poeltl is on an expiring contract, so it would make sense for the Spurs to go after the best remaining center prospect on the board. I prefer Duren to Mark Williams of Duke, and think he will get taken first. He’s a super strong presence down low and while he’s not the tallest player in his class (6’11), he makes up for it with his physicality and ability to body other players. Duren reminds me of a young DeAndre Jordan, and if you really want to believe in him, a young Dwight Howard even. Duren will fit perfectly with the Spurs culture in San Antonio, and will be able to make an immediate impact as a rookie.

10. Washington Wizards
Johnny Davis, G, Wisconsin
6'5, 195
Prospect rank: 9th
Player comp: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Johnny Davis exploded in his sophomore year, similar to Keegan Murray, Ben Mathurin, and Jaden Ivey. He averaged nearly 20 points per game and added eight rebounds and two assists. The knock on Davis is that, despite his near-automatic mid-range jumper, his three-pointer is highly inconsistent, where he shot below 30%. If he wants to excel, he’ll have to change his mechanics and be a legitimate threat from deep.

11. New York Knicks
Jeremy Sochan, F, Baylor
6'9, 230 lbs
Prospect rank: 10th
Player comp: Aaron Gordon

Sochan is an excellent defensive player and athlete. He showed off his defensive prowess in Baylor's nearly realized improbable comeback against North Carolina in the NCAA Tournament, where he guarded multiple of North Carolina’s players, including Armando Bacot and Caleb Love. His versatility on defense and burgeoning ability to shoot make him an interesting prospect that can help the Knicks’ defense off the bat.

12. Oklahoma City Thunder (second pick)
Ousmane Dieng, F, France
6'10, 215
Prospect rank: 11th
Player comp: Nic Batum

While it may seem like a lazy comparison because of their French connection, Ousmane Dieng plays a lot like his fellow countryman Nic Batum – a high-IQ, athletic wing that isn’t a great shooter when contested but can hit shots when open. He can create as well, and even put the ball on the deck, which are impressive attributes given his size. However, he’s inconsistent from three and raw in many ways. It would make sense for Oklahoma City to pick a high-ceiling guy that may take time to develop.

13. Charlotte Hornets
AJ Griffin, F, Duke
6'6, 220 lbs
Prospect rank: 12th
Player comp: Gary Trent Jr.

I’m lower on AJ Griffin than many because of his lacking athleticism and inconsistent defense. Still, he was one of the best three-point shooters in the country last season, shooting nearly 45% from beyond the arc. The 6’6 small forward adds this crucial ability that he already has down to a science. He’s not a great passer yet, or creator off the dribble; in fact, his handles are kind of weak. But adding a sniper can always be looked at as a good thing.

14. Cleveland Cavaliers
Tari Eason, SF, LSU
6'8, 215 lbs
Prospect rank: 14th
Player comp: PJ Tucker (minus the corner threes)

Tari Eason was a sixth man at LSU, but came off the bench averaging almost 17 points per game while being one of the best defenders in the country. He’s a bit raw still; despite his high amount of points per game, he’s still lacking a consistent jump shot outside of 10 feet. He also turns the ball over quite a bit, and may take some time to develop. However, his athleticism as a slasher who got points that way could help take the Cavs to the next level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News