ADVERTISEMENT

New Transfer Policy

This is uncharted territory. The headline is a bit deceiving because it's really not free agency, in that the player still has to sit out a year. Had they done away with the one year transfer penalty, THAT would have been free agency.

Also, I don't see kids throwing their name in the hat unless they KNOW there will be teams interested. They will call ahead to an institution, or to a friend who plays at said institution who will act as a cut out, and secure a wink and a nod before they enter into the process. You don't jump ship until you know you have a safe landing place.

You're also not going to see many starters do this. Maybe QBs like Shane, who USED to start, but we are already seeing that. What pissed me off is, you're allowed 5 official visits in HS. Will you be allowed to take 5 more? What if you take those 5 trips and then put your name in for transfer the next year and take five more to five different places? I know it sounds outlandish, but there will be some turd, some where, who tries to pull this crap.

Who does this benefit?

Tough to say. The larger schools will benefit, make no mistake.

Will there be shenanigans? You bet there will be. There will be bad actors. Any time the folks that makes the rules relax said rules, somebody out there will push the envelope.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT