ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Radio "Movin' The Chains...."

HuffTex

Gold Member
Mar 26, 2006
AMERICA
,,,with former NFL executive Pat Kirwan and former NFL QB Jim Miller is a Sirius radio show I enjoy, and call in on from time to time. I called in yesterday to specifically ask about Brennan Eagles and Caden Sterns, and how the lack of an NFL Combine would impact their ultimate draft decision, and the overall wisdom of "Leaving early." Kirwan cut no slack as he said, "Every year kids get talked into coming out by friends or family, or maybe a new agent, then when they either don't get drafted, or get a poor UDFA opportunity and fail, the agent and their posse bail on them." He specifically noted how deep this WR draft was, and said he was through his first 20 WR's which would probably take him into, but not through, the 5th round, and he didn't have Eagles name in there. He felt it was a mistake for Eagles to come out.

Miller "tackled" Sterns....I have his stats here....6'1", 207 lbs, 30 tackles (they generally only go by solos until they evaluate film since some schools are extremely liberal with assisted tackles, and what counts for an assist at one school, wouldn't at aother, or for their evaluation), 1.5 tackles for loss, I INT....nothing that stands out. He also felt that neither having participated in the Senior Bowl would hurt both of them (they obviously weren't seniors), as would Sterns quitting after the ISU game. In short, they felt both had been given poor information on their chances, but, as Miller pointed out, it only takes one team to fall in love. I was looking at their stats, and Sterns missed 2 of 3 OU games in his career, and 2 of 3 bowl games....Not very reliable, in hindsight.

In short, both kids picked a tough time to declare early, with only regional combines, particularly Eagles, who may have at least had the "Hail Mary" of looking freakish with his height/weight/speed combo. I wish both kids the best of luck, but it is going to be an uphill climb for them to be drafted. If not, there is always the Poona Ford, PJ Locke route, and both of those guys have done fine. Best wishes to all of our kids, whether they left early, or not. BTW, my bad, but I didn't ask about Cosmi, because everything I have read has says the 2nd day is his floor.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News