ADVERTISEMENT

Ok how about Ian McGraw as the new ad?

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
My brother and uncle are and have been long time season ticket holders and contributers to UT athletics. When the Steve Patterson thing went down they told me some interesting things I didn't know. The athletic department is 6 million dollars in the red. They thought SP had some good ideas but they said three things that led to his demise.
3. He was right to make cuts in the budget but he committed a huge blunder when he made cuts that affected the walk on programs in fb and men's basketball the two biggest sources of revenue in college athletics. This cost him the support of what should have been his two most prominent, influential, supporters Charlie Strong, and Shaka Smart.

2. He refused to take calls from any alumni not just McCombs. The President told him to start or at least hire someone to do it. He wouldn't do it and that po'd the Prez.

1. SP has zero social skills. Actually he had quadruple negative social skills. However, we all knew this.

So now we start over. Here's where Baylor athletic director Ian McGraw comes in. When IM came to Baylor in 2003 Baylor athletics was in the grave. The football team was beyond terrible so was the bb team, but also the corruption of coach Dave Bliss and the case of a player who murdered his teammate. There was talk of giving the death penalty to Baylor bb.

Baylor had already hired Guy Morris as the new fb coach so IM had to give him the mandatory time to prove himself. He didn't and then he brought in Art Briles as fb coach. And we see where they are now. He may be a ****bag when it comes to recruiting but Scott Drew had revived men's bb, they made the elite eight a couple of times in the last five years. They are probably among the top four programs in women's bb. Their coach has won two NC's which is more than that incredibly arrogant Jody Conradt did when she was here. And she hasn't been there near as long as JC was at UT. In other low profile sports they have done very well. Dyk that Colt's wife was a volleyball player there? My Baylor cousin said she was a heckuva player.

And IM is the one who put that together. Now unlike SP he has excellent social skills. Not just Drayton McClain, but other wealthy donors have stepped up. Walter Umphrey is a well known lawyer I guess he is Baylor' s version of Joe Jamail when it comes to famous lawyers. But he has stepped up to the plate to contribute and other wealthy alums have also done so. Their athletic facilities were a dump but IM has led the change and now the facilities have improved dramatically. I haven't seen it but i heard their new stadium is outstanding.

Why not ask IM if he can do it here? He may so no but we won't know if we don't ask him. He's taking a dumpster fire of an athletic department and made it into an excellent one. I think he can get us out of the red, develop an excellent rapport not just with alums but the President, the Regents, etc.

Why not ask him?

Reactions: Tower Garden
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT