ADVERTISEMENT

Only one QB boasted he's the best in the SEC....

royalewithcheese

Life is what happens when making other plans....
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond hasn’t lived up to ‘best quarterback’ in SEC comment yet

Brent Zwerneman
, Houston Chronicle

COLLEGE STATION — In a rare moment of braggadocio this summer, Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond claimed he was the best quarterback in the Southeastern Conference.

Mond, off to a middling start nearly midway through this season, can go a long way on Saturday toward quieting a callous crowd that’s had loads of fun at his expense since.

“Just because it’s Alabama, we’re not going to add any more pressure on us,” Mond said this week of the No. 24 Aggies hosting the No. 1 Crimson Tide at 2:30 p.m. Saturday.

Alabama (5-0, 2-0 SEC) was the first program people thought of — and specifically junior quarterback Tua Tagovailoa — when hearing Mond’s claim during the SEC Media Days of, “In my opinion, I’m the best (quarterback). That’s not just because I’m a confident person. I actually believe that.”

Tagovailoa, no question the league’s top quarterback who’s also emerged as a Heisman Trophy favorite about halfway through the regular season, hiked the high road in July when informed of Mond’s boast.

“That’s great, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for Kellen — he’s my friend,” Tagovailoa said. “… I don’t take anything away from him, he’s a great football player. And if anyone else thinks they’re great, that’s good for them, too.”

LSU’s Joe Burrow would have had a more solid claim as the league’s best a few months ago, as he and Tagovailoa top most of the SEC’s quarterback charts five games into the season.

Burrow, Tagovailoa and Mond are one, two and three in passing yards per game, but the plunge from second to third is significant. Burrow leads the way with 373 yards per game, followed by Tagovailoa (344) and Mond (267).

The difference between Tagovailoa and Mond is starkest in passing efficiency. Tagovailoa tops the league with a rating of 225.1, while Mond is 10th among the SEC’s starting quarterbacks with an efficiency rating of 140.3 for the Aggies (3-2, 1-1).

Mond does own an advantage in one thing in the series: experience. Saturday will mark his third start against the Crimson Tide, who have won the last six meetings. Last year the Aggies trailed Alabama 21-13 with about two minutes to halftime in Tuscaloosa, Ala., before unraveling the rest of the way in the Crimson Tide’s 45-23 victory.

Mond led all rushers in the game with 98 yards on 18 carries. He also lost 32 yards thanks to seven Alabama sacks.

“He played really well against us last year, so we have a lot of respect for him as a player,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said. “They’ve had really good balance on their offense in terms of the run and pass, and quarterback runs. He hurt us in last year’s game, so that’s something you always have to be concerned about with him at quarterback.”

Tagovailoa, who was backing up then-Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts at the time, didn’t attempt any passes two years ago at Kyle Field in the Crimson Tide’s 27-19 victory, although he’s listed on the participation chart. So dropping back to find open receivers at Kyle while 102,000 fans scream will be a first for the Hawaiian who wound up leading Alabama to a national title in 2017.

DwcHedsUcAEcPo6.jpg

Last edited:
I remember watching the Clemson game and he hadn’t done anything must of the game and then he threw a td pass and got on the sidelines and proclaimed in the camera “that’s what I do” or some such nonsense

Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond hasn’t lived up to ‘best quarterback’ in SEC comment yet

Brent Zwerneman
, Houston Chronicle

COLLEGE STATION — In a rare moment of braggadocio this summer, Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond claimed he was the best quarterback in the Southeastern Conference.

Mond, off to a middling start nearly midway through this season, can go a long way on Saturday toward quieting a callous crowd that’s had loads of fun at his expense since.

“Just because it’s Alabama, we’re not going to add any more pressure on us,” Mond said this week of the No. 24 Aggies hosting the No. 1 Crimson Tide at 2:30 p.m. Saturday.

Alabama (5-0, 2-0 SEC) was the first program people thought of — and specifically junior quarterback Tua Tagovailoa — when hearing Mond’s claim during the SEC Media Days of, “In my opinion, I’m the best (quarterback). That’s not just because I’m a confident person. I actually believe that.”

Tagovailoa, no question the league’s top quarterback who’s also emerged as a Heisman Trophy favorite about halfway through the regular season, hiked the high road in July when informed of Mond’s boast.

“That’s great, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for Kellen — he’s my friend,” Tagovailoa said. “… I don’t take anything away from him, he’s a great football player. And if anyone else thinks they’re great, that’s good for them, too.”

LSU’s Joe Burrow would have had a more solid claim as the league’s best a few months ago, as he and Tagovailoa top most of the SEC’s quarterback charts five games into the season.

Burrow, Tagovailoa and Mond are one, two and three in passing yards per game, but the plunge from second to third is significant. Burrow leads the way with 373 yards per game, followed by Tagovailoa (344) and Mond (267).

The difference between Tagovailoa and Mond is starkest in passing efficiency. Tagovailoa tops the league with a rating of 225.1, while Mond is 10th among the SEC’s starting quarterbacks with an efficiency rating of 140.3 for the Aggies (3-2, 1-1).

Mond does own an advantage in one thing in the series: experience. Saturday will mark his third start against the Crimson Tide, who have won the last six meetings. Last year the Aggies trailed Alabama 21-13 with about two minutes to halftime in Tuscaloosa, Ala., before unraveling the rest of the way in the Crimson Tide’s 45-23 victory.

Mond led all rushers in the game with 98 yards on 18 carries. He also lost 32 yards thanks to seven Alabama sacks.

“He played really well against us last year, so we have a lot of respect for him as a player,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said. “They’ve had really good balance on their offense in terms of the run and pass, and quarterback runs. He hurt us in last year’s game, so that’s something you always have to be concerned about with him at quarterback.”

Tagovailoa, who was backing up then-Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts at the time, didn’t attempt any passes two years ago at Kyle Field in the Crimson Tide’s 27-19 victory, although he’s listed on the participation chart. So dropping back to find open receivers at Kyle while 102,000 fans scream will be a first for the Hawaiian who wound up leading Alabama to a national title in 2017.

DwcHedsUcAEcPo6.jpg

Mond must have delusions of grandeur. Good grief, he isn't even close.

giphy.gif

I believe he's good for 4th or 5th in the SEC.

Same for the state of Texas.

3cqj4l.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornMM
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT