ADVERTISEMENT

Orange/White Game 2017

Godz40Acrez

Dec 27, 2005
Somewhere undetectable by the NSA

It's tomorrow, Saturday, April 15, 1:00p.m. Central Time
On Longhorn Network

Be sure to catch Texas Game Day on LHN at noon. They will be featuring in game analysis by LonghornMM, Clob94, CoachEmUp64, and others. Or not.

AccuWeather says the atmospheric conditions will be patchy fog in the morning and humid; otherwise, periods of clouds and sunshine with a high of 83° and a 25% chance of precipitation. For a small fee, injured players who will not participate in the game will provide shade and rain protection to fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornMM
Spring Game Preview

What the spring game shows us are the bare bones of a team, who’s at the top of the pecking order, what the most basic formations and calls are, and how well the team knows to execute those calls. There are layers and layers of context in spring games that you have to sort through which include vanilla play-calling, blue jerseys for QBs, play-calling designed to entertain or practice certain looks rather than being designed to win the contest, and often key players being held out. Nevertheless, an x-ray of the team’s bare bones can still tell you a great deal about the team’s identity.

Here’s some of the bones I’m hoping to get a look at in this x-ray.

X-raying the skull: Where are the QBs right now?

It sounds like Shane Buechele is the clear leader but primarily due to his overall mastery of the playbook and his consistency. Those things being equal, it would seem that Sam Ehlinger would be the guy.

The first glance at the skull will be to verify this diagnosis and the next to try and get a sense of how far behind Ehlinger is in terms of executing the playbook and protecting the ball. One way I intend to evaluate this is to check out the passing of these two guys when throwing to the boundary.

Evidently the staff is planning to keep Collin Johnson as the boundary WR at all times this upcoming season... [T]he smashmouth spread needs an inside runner, a speedy constraint weapon to use in space on the perimeter, and then the ability to punish teams when they play man coverage in order to free up a safety to deal with those problems.

There’s no better place to have your coverage-beating trump card than on the boundary, so naturally that’s where Collin Johnson will go. If the QB can consistently hit back shoulder fades down the field to his boundary receiver then the boundary safety can’t hedge much and really has to be all in up his business to help take that away.

If Buechele is consistently ahead of Ehlinger in identifying opportunities and throwing to these guys, he’ll be the man in 2017, as that will set the stage for the rest of the offense.

[T]he next big question is where these two guys are in terms of making good, quick option reads and getting the ball to the right spots at the right times. That’s the nuts and bolts of this offense and where Buechele is presumably ahead and needs to remain consistent.

X-raying the back bone: How is Texas looking in the trenches?

Both lines are returning several starters that have played in a lot of games. We already know that this OL can maul people on the left side, that the right side has been porous against the pass-rush in the past, that Poona Ford has the capacity to be disruptive but can also get caught and washed out, and that Chris Nelson is a solid run-stopper. That’s all been demonstrated from game film.

So if we see Malcolm Roach wreaking havoc on the left side, for instance, that’s a better indicator of a high ceiling in 2017 than if he abuses the right side. If we see a young guard like Elijah Rodriguez or Pat Hudson get movement on Nelson or successfully stave off a nice Ford stunt those are similarly positive indicators.

What we really need to know is whether Texas has depth inside to survive injuries (they need to find one guy that could realistically be a starter at either guard spot) and whether they can send five guys into pass patterns without worrying that poor play at RT is going to cause a turnover or an injured QB.

On the DL we know that this group has the ability to do damage on stunts and slants because we’ve seen most of the major actors here and we’ve seen them do really well in those circumstances. That means that they can provide a nice test of whether the OL is coming along in picking stuff up, just as DL resistance in base schemes to the straight ahead power of Connor Williams, Patrick Vahe, and Jake McMillon will be instructive on where that unit is at.

An ideal scenario is probably one where we see Roach get the best of Connor Williams a time or two, wreck shop against the RT, but then see that RT pick things up well against everyone else. That could mean Texas is okay at RT but potentially has All-Americans on both lines…that’d be nice, you can build a good team around that without needing to be Mensa.

X-raying the hips: Linebacker and safety play between the hash marks

This is probably the realm of the game where Texas has been the most deficient over the last couple of years. A crew of defenders that know where their help is against a given block, run, route, or route combo and can work together is going to be much more effective than a group of insanely talented athletes that don’t.

We’ll have a pretty good idea after the spring game if these guys know what they’re doing in base calls because that’s pretty much all they’ll be doing. They should be diagnosing the offensive plays and charging hard and fast into their assignments or there’s cause for at least some concern.

I’m guessing that the offense will at least run some simple RPOs (run/pass options) that combine gap/zone run schemes with bubble screens or other outside throws and that should give a great glimpse into whether this interior five are “attached at the hip” or not.

The key here is not whether the play is successful or not. The offense may be rolling out suspect blocking TEs that can’t block anyone or walk-on RBs that can’t make much trying to run away from Malik Jefferson in any circumstance. The key is whether the LBs and DBs play their assignments speedily and with good technique. If that is happening more often than not, then don’t worry about the results in the spring plays, things will come together in the fall when it matters.
[More @ IT]

Like all spring games, the Texas spring game on Saturday should feature vanilla game plans.

Folks will see shells of what the pro-spread offense under the direction of Tim Beck and the 3-4 multiple defense Todd Orlando brought with him to the Forty Acres will look like. For the most part, however, Saturday is a chance for Tom Herman to get one final look at the personnel he’s got on both sides of the ball.

Herman said earlier this week that there won’t be much time for guys to change their place in the pecking order when fall camp begins. That means Saturday will be the last chance some players have to either hold onto a starting spot, or avoid getting lost in the shuffle (perhaps for good).

We’ve found one player within each position group who will be worth keeping an eye on considering how important they are to the Longhorns in 2017.

• QB Sam Ehlinger: Quick whistles and the need to protect the quarterback could limit the extent of what Ehlinger can show in the run game, which is his strength right now. Nevertheless, Ehlinger is said to have been getting progressively better.
  • RB Toneil Carter: If Carter runs with a physical edge and can hold onto the football, his physical gifts have a chance to show out more than perhaps any other back on the roster.
  • WR Jerrod Heard: Heard has been with the #1 offense all spring as an outside receiver. The coaches must see something special in him to have kept him there this whole time.
  • TE Peyton Aucoin: The depth chart is going to look mighty different when fall camp begins, so a good showing from Aucoin will put him in a good position moving forward.
  • OL Patrick Hudson and Denzel Okafor: The depth with the offensive line will be much more formidable if Hudson and Okafor wind up emerging as starting-caliber players. Hudson has flashed some at right guard while Okafor has been pushing at right tackle.

[More @ 247]

Watching The Spring Game

For obvious reasons, it’s an exiting time in The Lone Star State, especially for the burnt orange faithful.

Football is being played, we have a quarterback battle, as usual, and the buzz humming from spring practice is that things may finally be on the cusp of turning around in Austin. While justifying such hype is typically what a spring game is for, at least to an extent, it’s worth tempering expectations entering Saturday.

Along with the Longhorns still adjusting to a new culture and scheme under a new coaching staff, it’s still relatively early in the offseason.

What To Watch For

There’s no shortage of storylines entering Saturday’s glorified scrimmage and since this is Texas, virtually every aspect of this weekend’s outcome will be overanalyzed and then analyzed some more throughout the coming weeks.

How the quarterbacks perform: It wouldn’t be spring in Austin without talk of a quarterback battle. To this point, most of the buzz favors Shane Buechele and that’s largely due to his experience, which has been evident throughout the spring. Additionally, he’s reportedly taken the expected steps in the right direction this offseason, but it’s only April. Can Buechele truly separate himself with an impressive showing? Can Ehlinger keep things competitive entering the summer with much of the same?

Is the defense as overwhelming as reported: Virtually every report stemming from scrimmages to this point have indicated that the offense is having very little luck against Todd Orlando’s defense. Injuries have plagued the offensive line and running back room throughout the offseason, but any news of defensive dominance is a plus after last season. It will be an encouraging sign if the defense swarms to the ball and is as overwhelming and physically imposing as many reports have suggested.

It’s the small things: Herman...has built a reputation for stressing every little detail so that’s something to watch for on Saturday. What’s the overall effort level like? Are guys playing through the whistle? How many penalties and careless turnovers will we see? Has special teams play improved; primarily in the kicking game?

Can any wide receivers separate themselves: The Longhorns wide receiver corps has received plenty of praise this [spring] as a deep and talented bunch. Can Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay have a statement scrimmage or will guys like Lil’Jordan Humphrey and Reggie Hemphill-Mapps continue to make their push and make things interesting entering the summer?

Will the secondary still be an issue: Now under the guidance of Jason Washington, and as a more experienced unit, we’ll get a glimpse at how the unit holds up against a talented receiving corps and a pair of talented quarterbacks. Many clamored for a safety tandem of Brandon Jones and DeShon Elliott in 2016 and that’s the current paid of starters behind cornerbacks Holton Hill, Kris Boyd and P.J. Locke. Will finally get to see what that looks like in a game setting.
[More @ BON]

Hook'Em's Latest Podcast

Cedric and Kirk discuss the upcoming Texas Orange-White game and which QB will eventually emerge between Shane Buechele and Sam Ehlinger. They also discuss which players on defense will have to step up. The guys also put a bow on Sergio Garcia’s win at The Masters and preview the Spurs’ opening playoff series against Memphis. UT baseball beat writer Danny Davis stops by to preview the weekend series at Baylor.

Ehlinger made some good throws and his attitude might be there but he isn't ready yet to take over this team. Boo can still grow, but looked better and that Johnson hook up is going to be insane.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
I didn't think it was a good idea for Lowell and Ahmad to take Coach Herman's time during the actual scrimmage. They were asking him questions that could have waited for the post game final.

Reactions: Cotton #12
2nd O'line is not real good.

I wish the #1 d'backs had a better test, the d'line didn't give Sam much time to work. I know the 9.95'rs have been talking up the d'backs, but I want to see a real test for them, bad memories from last year.

Hard to know about the lb's w/o a running game to defend. Hard to know about db's.

D'line looked pretty good. One position group with a little depth.

Is it just me, or did Shane seem to have a little more zip on the ball?

Depth could be an issue this year.

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
I like how there were no delay of game penalties. Everything seemed more organized, and just seemed to flow smoothly. No blank stares from the players or the coaches. Herman made it fun for the fans with the Goaline stand at the end t break the tie. As for the players I'll wait until the season starts to judge. It was 1s vs 2s so take it with a grain of salt. I guess it's good neither set of 1s looked bad.

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
2nd O'line is not real good.

I wish the #1 d'backs had a better test, the d'line didn't give Sam much time to work. I know the 9.95'rs have been talking up the d'backs, but I want to see a real test for them, bad memories from last year.

Hard to know about the lb's w/o a running game to defend. Hard to know about db's.

D'line looked pretty good. One position group with a little depth.

Is it just me, or did Shane seem to have a little more zip on the ball?

Depth could be an issue this year.

Apparently the previous scrimmages have included 1 vs 1 so the coaches have seen what the top units look like against each other, I wish we could have too but I think Herman wanted to show fans some more exciting plays and not a slug fest.

Herman made the QB battle very clear, Shane is the guy. Shane was with the 1s the entire game, which not only made it apparent he was the top QB but also made Sam look worse by comparison given the number 2 O couldn't hang with the 1s on defense. Sam had no chance out there.

Herman also said that he wouldn't name Shane the starter because "a healthy fear of losing your job is healthy". To me this says that the battle has been more or less construed to make sure Shane feels a bit of pressure and that the pressure drives him to continue to improve.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Shane is the man ! Hands down, Sam has still got to pays his dues on learning and getting game reps, if i was Shane and he didn't start me then I would transfer, Shane deserves to start after last yr play..thank god the 18 wheeler s gone, every team in the conference was catching on to that...

Hook'em

Shane is the man ! Hands down, Sam has still got to pays his dues on learning and getting game reps, if i was Shane and he didn't start me then I would transfer, Shane deserves to start after last yr play..thank god the 18 wheeler s gone, every team in the conference was catching on to that...

Hook'em

I agree, Shane looked way more polished. As he should. I don't think there's much of a QB competition in the coaches mind. They just don't want to come out and say it so that they'll keep competing.

I said it last year and I still concur with myself, Buechelle threw the ball better than probably any true freshman I can recall. His arm may have gotten a little tired towards the end of the year last year but he probably got damn frustrated by the playcalling too. In my mind no way he gets passed up nor should he imo. That tall receiver y'all have looks legit too.

I said it last year and I still concur with myself, Buechelle threw the ball better than probably any true freshman I can recall. His arm may have gotten a little tired towards the end of the year last year but he probably got damn frustrated by the playcalling too. In my mind no way he gets passed up nor should he imo. That tall receiver y'all have looks legit too.
He lost some touch on his pass as the season progressed due to an injury to his throwing hand. I doubt he was ever tired from tossing the pigskin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT