ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 21 years on OB, I never thought I would be posting this...Update 09/24/23

Bleedorange

Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
New Braunfels, TX
Martinez Family GiveSendGo Donation Link

10/11/23

I had to take my wife back to the ER last night. She developed a 102 fever and additional symptoms.

Her potassium levels and hemoglobin are down again, but her white blood cells are still good.

She is feeling better this morning. They started antibiotics, they got her fever down, they are giving her a unit of blood, iv fluids and a few more treatments and she is starting to perk up. She is sleeping right now.

This is a serious roller coaster ride that is emotionally and physically draining.

The way we get through each day is by being reminded of Lamentations 3:22-23: "The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

One day at a time.

Thank you for your continued prayers.

09/24/23

My wife is a strong woman, but sometimes to her detriment. She tried to be strong this week, but she played it off like she was not struggling for too long.

I told her last night it was time to go to the hospital to at least get IV fluids, but when we were driving, I could tell she was struggling; she could not breathe, so I told her she was staying overnight. She said okay. That's when I knew she was not doing well. It turns out she had a fever, her sats were hovering 85-88, and she was in 10-level pain; she has an infection, probably pneumonia, and her hemoglobin is low, so they will be giving her blood here soon. She is on three antibiotics; Morphine and they gave her IV Tylenol. She had a rough night, but she is resting now, between nurse visits.

We just had another update. Her white blood cell count is below 300, so they have cultures they have to wait for to figure out what is causing the infection. They said it may be the port, but they must wait and see. She cannot have visitors at this time.

Please keep her in your prayers, that she will not heal from this infection, but from cancer!

God is good!

09/15/23 Update

Thank you so much for the prayers, uplifting comments and help over the last few months.

If you don't know, my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. Her oncologist suggested she go on FMLA because this would become her full-time job. It was tough for her being a labor and delivery registered nurse, she loves her job. Nevertheless, she took the doctors advise.

Fast forward today, after five rounds of chemo and nearly 35 radiation treatments, My wife sent me a text today and I wanted to share it with you.

"Do you want to come with me on the 18th and see me ring my bells? You can if you want to. They just told me I can invite you." 😊

We are so excited she is about to finish her treatments. She is actually finishing her chemo treatments three rounds early. Everything is looking good for her.

She will undergo one year of immunotherapy and quarterly CTScans, but we pray the long days vomiting, the radiation burning her esophagus ends and she can soon return to eating and drinking normal meals.

Her lung function levels are still not at a point she can return to nursing, but the doctors are hoping by December/January she can return, at least part-time.

God is good!

----‐------------------------------
After 21 years on OB and helping others with donations, I never thought I would find us in the same position.

Many of you may remember me posting about my wife being diagnosed back in April 2023 with stage 4 lung cancer. Never smoked a day in her life.

The good news, after two rounds of chemo, she is doing well considering all things. They could not start radiation because the lung tumor was to big, but she had another mapping scan last Friday and we are waiting to find out if it has shrunk enough to start radiation.

Last Friday, the doctor informed us her treatment will go for a total of 8 months, through Nov/Dec. We are at peace with it, we are open to God's timing.

Over the years, we saved through cash savings and PTO to have a 6 month emergency fund in the event one of us became sick. Work has been good to my wife. They kept her on, using her PTO to pay for health insurance premiums so we don't have to pay COBRA prices for health insurance. She has tried to return to work to earn more PTO, but the chemo is draining her and she could not keep it up.

In between helping take care of her, I'll go out and do some Uber to earn a few extra bucks. I have a full time job. Our church has been good to us providing meals, so many meals.

About a month ago, a friend from church approached me about starting a GoFundMe page, GiveSendGo.com, the faith based version of GFM. He actually did start it but did not push it because at the time, I was to proud to say yes, but a couple of hours ago, I told him he could.

My wifes PTO is running low. She has enough to cover the oroginal 6 months, the medical bills are rolling in, and it pains me to say it, but we find out this week that our daughter has gone off the deep end, she has taken my wife's diagnoses really hard to an unhealthy point. So our three grandkids are with us 1/2 the time as we try to help my SIL.

Even in all of this, we still see God working in this diagnoses, in how He is shaping us for the better. We sincerely have a peace "that surpasses all understanfing." All we have to do is walk through this holding His hand.

If you have the means and can help, we would appreciate it. If you are unable to help monetarily, that's OK too, we believe prayers are as valuable and we appreciate them as much as material help.

Thank you for listening (reading).

Martinez Family GiveSendGo Donation Link

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News