ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Aviation

i work on the f 35 and let me just say, maybe not your number 1 pick but these things are fun to watch in action

i work on the f 35 and let me just say, maybe not your number 1 pick but these things are fun to watch in action

The weekend the F35 was revealed in Ft Worth at Lockheed, (after the press party) I was invited up by my best friend's brother in law. He was a Navy Hornet driver who had gone from active to reserve- and was also an aeronautical engineer. He was tasked with helping to develop the cockpit for the JSF.
The day we arrived, the (new) F16 models were all outside under the bays there and when we went inside, on one side of the factory were LINES of F16s. On the other side were JSFs in various stages of completion. There were big red ropes like you'd see at a night club line that kept you from walking down the rows of F35s. I could see on the computer screens the operating systems said "Microsoft MIL"..... I'd never seen that before.
We got to check out the SIM as well as the helmet with the huge ass HUD attached to it. Looked weird to me. That's when I was told there were cameras all over the plane that allowed you to look below, behind, in your blind spots etc- while driving the plane. The part that was weird to me-- I remember asking why there was no gun on the plane. I was told something like "meh.... smart munitions" or some such.

Reactions: hookem777
The weekend the F35 was revealed in Ft Worth at Lockheed, (after the press party) I was invited up by my best friend's brother in law. He was a Navy Hornet driver who had gone from active to reserve- and was also an aeronautical engineer. He was tasked with helping to develop the cockpit for the JSF.
The day we arrived, the (new) F16 models were all outside under the bays there and when we went inside, on one side of the factory were LINES of F16s. On the other side were JSFs in various stages of completion. There were big red ropes like you'd see at a night club line that kept you from walking down the rows of F35s. I could see on the computer screens the operating systems said "Microsoft MIL"..... I'd never seen that before.
We got to check out the SIM as well as the helmet with the huge ass HUD attached to it. Looked weird to me. That's when I was told there were cameras all over the plane that allowed you to look below, behind, in your blind spots etc- while driving the plane. The part that was weird to me-- I remember asking why there was no gun on the plane. I was told something like "meh.... smart munitions" or some such.
Now Clob even though i work in Fort Worth ill admit you probably know tons more about these jets than i do. I just know how to build em. However, the 35 is crazy advanced and i agree weird but it f's shit up. However the f16s we have are now being updated in software with similar technology and i wouldn't be surprised if a new version of them is made.

Now Clob even though i work in Fort Worth ill admit you probably know tons more about these jets than i do. I just know how to build em. However, the 35 is crazy advanced and i agree weird but it f's shit up. However the f16s we have are now being updated in software with similar technology and i wouldn't be surprised if a new version of them is made.
Dude, this was years ago..... I think... let me check.... sh!t... I can't find the year of the release.

My literal job in Vietnam was to communicate with the 0-2 and get him to put white phosphorus rockets on the target so the F-4s (the flying hydraulic leak) can come in and put bombs on target.
Wasn't Willie Pete pretty much outlawed after Vietnam?

In other words, you had a closely related job to today's modern "combat controller".

I just finished a house for an F-22 pilot from California in Cresson Texas. House plus airplane hangar ~ attached. Anyway, he's retired but saw combat in Iraq and Afghanistan. He now flies a small experimental prop plane that is apparently very fast. He offered to take me up in it... no thanks, I'll barf.

Clob, you'd love the guy. He has closets full of ammunition.

I just finished a house for an F-22 pilot from California in Cresson Texas. House plus airplane hangar ~ attached. Anyway, he's retired but saw combat in Iraq and Afghanistan. He now flies a small experimental prop plane that is apparently very fast. He offered to take me up in it... no thanks, I'll barf.

What's the prop plane?

I've been up once with a friend of mine in a little single engine prop plane and it was the last time i'll go up in one.

I've been up once with a friend of mine in a little single engine prop plane and it was the last time i'll go up in one.
Your little butthole pucker up?

Ever been on one when the engine stopped?

It's gets reeeeeeeeeeeeally quiet for a few seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT