ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Barrett Jackson Auctions. Anybody been?

westx

Dec 6, 2009
My wife and I want to go as spectators for now. We watch on tv all the time. Some places they sell for so much more than others. I am not finished paying college expenses for our offspring, but in the next couple of years we hope to get some kind of classic. I wouldn’t spend any where near 50k and up, but we can dream, right? Personally, I would love a rough looking primered 50s car/truck with a hot rod engine, nice solid wheels and nice interior. Sure wohld be fun to drive with the wife in the upper valley of El Paso’s pecan orchard highway. Anybody else into this?

I am, but I found out very quickly that my pockets aren't deep enough
to by the spare tire.

Reactions: westx
My wife and I want to go as spectators for now. We watch on tv all the time. Some places they sell for so much more than others. I am not finished paying college expenses for our offspring, but in the next couple of years we hope to get some kind of classic. I wouldn’t spend any where near 50k and up, but we can dream, right? Personally, I would love a rough looking primered 50s car/truck with a hot rod engine, nice solid wheels and nice interior. Sure wohld be fun to drive with the wife in the upper valley of El Paso’s pecan orchard highway. Anybody else into this?
Never been to Barrett Jackson, but a big fan of classics. I’ve owned 4 Chevelles. Two 69’s, 70 and 72. These old cars are a lot of fun to cruise, take to shows etc, but be forewarned they can be serious money pits. Not trying to discourage you, but my second 69 SS was a really fun car but had many problems, spent so much on that damn car and couldn’t get a lot of that back when I sold it. Even though I replaced the engine/trans these big blocks always something breaking. Also, I’m no mechanic. Selling these cars can be easy or real time consuming.

You mentioned wanting a primered hot rod… I like those btw.. if you are looking to buy one that looks like that be very careful. I’ve seen this happen (not to me) here’s why - someone can go get one with sh*t body on it, fill it with bondo and grey primer it so it looks nice from 10ft. But underneath that primer is a mess and would be very expensive to be fixed and hard to re-sell if you don’t fix it.

I would recommend as close to a turn-key car as possible Projects are very time consuming and expensive unless you have the time, space, tools and skills. I never had time or the skills Paying for a restoration is a money pit btw.

hope this helps, and if you decide to get one good luck.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine- he lives in Scottsdale- his dad owns one of the largest repo groups in the country. He gets us back stage at the auction in Arizona. It's usually the same weekend as the Phoenix open. A few years back we did the auction, then the golf tourney. I stayed at the crooked stick or whatever that Native American resort is. I can honestly say I don't remember much.

I once seized a car that a crook got from the Barrett Jackson auction. Does that count?
Reminds me of a time working detectives when I had to go to a prominent attorney's office to seize a brand new Corvette and take it into evidence. You better believe me and my partner took our time returning to the station. Seems we had to go cover a few calls, then take our coffee and lunch breaks in various parts of the city....

Barrett is the weekend before the Open. I presently live in the Scottsdale airport(private planes) flight path. Way more air traffic for Barrett than the Open.

Have never seen as many 65-70 year old dudes with 45 year old wives as Barrett weekend.

Wonder if lawyers set up pre-nup kiosks at Barrett.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Barrett is the weekend before the Open. I presently live in the Scottsdale airport(private planes) flight path. Way more air traffic for Barrett than the Open.

Have never seen as many 65-70 year old dudes with 45 year old wives as Barrett weekend.

Wonder if lawyers set up pre-nup kiosks at Barrett.
YEARS ago-- and I'm dating myself-- I was in Scottsdale for the auction. We went to dinner in Scottsdale at a place called "My Big Fat Greek Restaurant". When we finished, we went across the street to a place called the Saddle Ranch. It was a steak house by day and (at the time) THE club for for late night scenery. Met Snoop Dogg-- and--- Jared from Subway. One of my boys I was partying with shakes Jared's hand- we all shoot the sh!t for a little bit- and Jared moves on. My buddy turns to me and goes "there's something off about that fvcking guy".
I said "ya- he's a fvcking awkward fat guy that has zero social skills and got rich from eating 3rd rate sammiches."

He goes "No..... I mean, there's something OFF about that guy." I just shrugged.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT