OT-Elevated A1c question

Walt Longmire

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2008
I'm 69 and have had an A1c based on some test that estimates a 3 month average in the 5.9 range for many years. From February 2022 to this month my tests showed 6.1, 6.3, 6.4 and 6.3. Doctor says he wants me to schedule a followup to discuss plan of action.

After I got the 6.4 last February I followed a weight loss program called Ideal Protein and lost over 40 lbs from March to June and got down to 168. During that time I ate 0 sugars and very low carb. I have been on maintenance since then during which I've gained about 5 pounds and still eating very little sweets, very little fast food. I was hoping this would have resulted in a better test result than a reduction of 0.1.

I used to walk 18 holes while playing golf 3 times a week but in the last 3 years I haven't been able to play much due to having to stay with my wife who has dementia. I try to walk with her for 30minutes a day but haven't been very disciplined abut that.

What should I expect the doctor to suggest? What have other OB's done to address this? Is it something I should definitely prioritize?

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.