ADVERTISEMENT

OT - gym

Pumpedup55

Oct 17, 2016
What do you think is best time to approach a woman in the gym?

I’ve never approached any women at the gym and have gone for many years. She seems friendly in passing. If she’s not receptive to talking or it’s just not working I’ll get the message and cut my losses. Win some, lose some.

@clob94 - you seem to always tell a good story. Curious of your approach.

Beep Bop…this is your friendly AI bot courtesy of ChatGPT. Your question was posed to me so here’s my humble and intelligent response:

As an AI language model, I don't have personal opinions, but here are some general tips that could be helpful:

1. Be respectful and courteous: Approach the woman in a friendly and non-threatening manner.
  2. Ask for permission: Before starting a conversation, ask if it's okay to talk to her.
  3. Keep it simple: Start with a casual introduction and simple questions related to her workout routine.
  4. Be mindful of personal space: Respect the woman's personal space and exercise boundaries.
  5. Avoid making assumptions: Don't make assumptions about the woman based on her appearance or workout activities.
  6. Focus on mutual interests: If you share common interests, such as a love for a certain type of exercise, use that as a starting point for conversation.
Remember, it's always important to be mindful of the other person's feelings and respect their boundaries. If the woman does not seem interested in talking, it's best to respect her wishes and not pursue the conversation further.

I’ve never approached any women at the gym and have gone for many years. She seems friendly in passing. If she’s not receptive to talking or it’s just not working I’ll get the message and cut my losses. Win some, lose some.

Beep boop-

This is your friendly AI Clob telling you that you've got about as much chance picking up a girl in the gym as you do at a strip club. (I say that knowing full well I banged a 3rd of the staff at the Yellow Rose, Sugars and the Crazy Lady (not proud of that one) during my years in college.
Alas- I've picked up 1 girl at the gym. One. Only 1.
How?

Please deposit $9.95 and I'll tell you.

Seriously- gym is the worst. Gym parking lot is WAY better- but then you look like a stalker if you wait for her in the parking lot. If you follow her OUT as she leaves, then you're just asking to get a mouth full of pepper spray.
Aside from some magical moment where you both pull in the parking lot at the same time and accidentally park nose to nose-- you're going to have to create your "moment" of opportunity-- without it looking like you staged it. I don't know what your trade craft is, so it's difficult to game out a scenario for you. So let's go with the "head first into the dark water" approach and hope you find the deep water instead of the shallow hidden boulder.

Make eye contact. Don't fvcking stare at her......you creepy mother fvcker--- catch her looking at YOU. Give her the slight smirk smile-- not a big fvcking teeth flash ear to ear smile like a poon eating possum--
A smirk smile, little head nod, eye brows up for a split second- then back to normal face...

After she's aware you're present- count to 30 in your head.
1 Mississippi
2 Mississippi
3 Mississippi

DO NOT LOOK BACK OVER AT HER.

I don't care if she lights herself on fire.
Do
Not
Look

When you reach 30, get a sip of water from your bottle- and walk over to her. If she SEES you coming- make a slight hand gesture as if you're trying to say "hi" but also saying "wait up a second".

When you approach her- stand MORE than an arms length away. Do NOT get up on her like a fat kid after cake.

When she addresses you, start off with excusing yourself- acknowledge that you're a fvcking tool for approaching her at the gym. (Don't say "fvcking tool")

Say something like-- "Excuse me uh, Miss... I know we're here at the gym and this is probably REALLY inappropriate- and right now I hate being THAT guy-- but I've noticed you in here a few times and was hoping I'd eventually bump into you.... but I'm tired of waiting to accidently run into you so I could introduce myself.
I'm "Pumpedup55" (if you say that name I'm going to mock you for eternity) and I was wondering when you're done with your workout if you'd let me try and chat you up..... (playful smile because you're joking with her)."

Ball's in her court now.

If you flubbed it, she'll appreciate your honesty and gently wave you off. If she does, don't try to circle back and wedge yourself in there-- you're done. You shot your shot and it's shot. Thank her, walk away.
But-- if she says- "oh I'm almost done" or "give me an hour" or whatever else that's an OBVIOUS green light. You're gold.

Do not use my favorite line-- "Those are NICE shoes. Wanna fvck?" <---- That worked only once.

Let us know how it goes. The last MFer that came in here asking about "dinner advice" never came back and told us how it went. Sorry ass.

One day I'll tell you the story about how I accidentally made a GIANT jackass of myself at HEB once infront of a SMOKESHOW girl. (Totally not my fault)

I knew a guy back in the day that would always pick up the hottest chicks in any packed pub. What he did was absolutely ridiculous but totally next level at the same time.

While swimming through the crowd on trips to the bar, he'd hold up a dryer sheet as he passed by his intended target. Like clockwork, she would chase him down just to ask what the hell that was.

Ice broken without a word uttered. Next morning, she'd be making bangers mash wearing just his t-shirt. Lemme add that this dude wasn't exactly Brad Pitt but looked more like a grenade jumping 5 out of 10 wingman.

When she’s doing squats, get behind her and help her complete her sets she’ll appreciate the help then if she talks to you get your face6 inches from her women love close talkers. That’s my .02

Last edited:
Beep boop-

This is your friendly AI Clob telling you that you've got about as much chance picking up a girl in the gym as you do at a strip club. (I say that knowing full well I banged a 3rd of the staff at the Yellow Rose, Sugars and the Crazy Lady (not proud of that one) during my years in college.
How?

Seriously- gym is the worst. Gym parking lot is WAY better- but then you look like a stalker if you wait for her in the parking lot. If you follow her OUT as she leaves, then you're just asking to get a mouth full of pepper spray.
Aside from some magical moment where you both pull in the parking lot at the same time and accidentally park nose to nose-- you're going to have to create your "moment" of opportunity-- without it looking like you staged it. I don't know what your trade craft is, so it's difficult to game out a scenario for you. So let's go with the "head first into the dark water" approach and hope you find the deep water instead of the shallow hidden boulder.

Make eye contact. Don't fvcking stare at her......you creepy mother fvcker--- catch her looking at YOU. Give her the slight smirk smile-- not a big fvcking teeth flash ear to ear smile like a poon eating possum--
A smirk smile, little head nod, eye brows up for a split second- then back to normal face...

1 Mississippi
2 Mississippi
3 Mississippi

Do
Not
Look

When you reach 30, get a sip of water from your bottle- and walk over to her. If she SEES you coming- make a slight hand gesture as if you're trying to say "hi" but also saying "wait up a second".

When you approach her- stand MORE than an arms length away. Do NOT get up on her like a fat kid after cake.

When she addresses you, start off with excusing yourself- acknowledge that you're a fvcking tool for approaching her at the gym. (Don't say "fvcking tool")

Say something like-- "Excuse me uh, Miss... I know we're here at the gym and this is probably REALLY inappropriate- and right now I hate being THAT guy-- but I've noticed you in here a few times and was hoping I'd eventually bump into you.... but I'm tired of waiting to accidently run into you so I could introduce myself.
I'm "Pumpedup55" (if you say that name I'm going to mock you for eternity) and I was wondering when you're done with your workout if you'd let me try and chat you up..... (playful smile because you're joking with her)."

Ball's in her court now.

If you flubbed it, she'll appreciate your honesty and gently wave you off. If she does, don't try to circle back and wedge yourself in there-- you're done. You shot your shot and it's shot. Thank her, walk away.
But-- if she says- "oh I'm almost done" or "give me an hour" or whatever else that's an OBVIOUS green light. You're gold.

Do not use my favorite line-- "Those are NICE shoes. Wanna fvck?" <---- That worked only once.

Let us know how it goes. The last MFer that came in here asking about "dinner advice" never came back and told us how it went. Sorry ass.

One day I'll tell you the story about how I accidentally made a GIANT jackass of myself at HEB once infront of a SMOKESHOW girl. (Totally not my fault)
Thanks for the response. Good story. I’ll write back later with a little more context on this. My first post was meant to get right to the point.

Talking ancient years, at a CW dance hall, a beautiful girl came up to me and asked me to dance. She said her name, but said she also goes by Kit Kat at the Doll House South (it may ring a bell for old farts here). We danced a few times and she left (swing and a miss, my usual batting average). But, my new regular bar to go....Doll House South....I was recruited and i committed to the Kit Kat Fan Club $$.

Reactions: Pumpedup55
Dear God I used to love picking up strippers. Worst addiction I ever had.

Beep boop-

How?

1 Mississippi
2 Mississippi
3 Mississippi

Do
Not
Look

Ball's in her court now.

I appreciate the response. I know it was general response since I didn't provide any context. So this actually isn't me trying to pursue some random woman I saw at the gym who probably hasn't even seen me before.

Here's the backstory:

I've been going to the gym same times for the last 10 years. My current gym the last 2.5 years. I am part of the early bird group of probably 30 people that are there around 5-5:15am I'm done by 6:30am. It's the same people give or take one or two. There are now three attractive women at that time. The first two I see there all the time since I started at this gym, they are both solid 7's at 5:30am. For whatever reason, they are both very unapproachable and if you can read the situation/body language you know that they don't want to talk to anyone. There to workout, don't bother me type - and that's OK. I've never talked to them and pay no attention.

In the last few months, this other woman joined the early birds. Very attractive. I don't pay much attention to her but she's better looking than the other two.

I don't go up to people and people in general rarely approach me. Some people give off that warm and friendly vibe - let me clear - that is not me. I do have a stable career and my ducks in order though.

For the last month or so she has been the initiator - she has continually been polite when she sees me.. good morning, smiles etc and I respond with the same. I wouldn't bother to initiate at the gym especially, it's just not my thing. It hasn't for over 20 years. If she were like the two women I mentioned above, I would not bother at all.

I'll take my chance. I'll let everyone know how it goes - either way. But probably something like a simple conversation first to see if we are on the same page given the time of day we are there.

Reactions: Belldozer1
My dude....

If she's initiated small talk with you on a few occasions then you've been given a window.
I thought maybe she was some rando that you'd been gazing at and filing away in your spank bank.
This is fvcking cake. If you feel confident she's not just being nice for the sake of being nice- then 90% of your work is already done.
Now all you've got to do is pick your moment.

Approach her at the end of your work out, keep a respectable distance- grab your nuts (metaphorically) and ask her to lunch or coffee.

No dinner.
Dinner comes 2nd.

Lunch or coffee means "I'm interested, but not convinced." If she works out, then she's probably competitive. Competative girls want to know why you didn't throw yourself at her and ask her to dinner..... it'll make her curious as to why you may not think she's "good enough" for a dinner date. She'll have something to prove.

If she's NOT competitive, she'll see it as though you're "taking it slow" and being respectful.
See, dinner dates are seen (by women) as a way for a dude to have an excuse for a little fvcky fvcky after. But a LUNCH means you both have to part ways after.... no pressure on her and an escape route for you.

Got it? Good.

I appreciate the response. I know it was general response since I didn't provide any context. So this actually isn't me trying to pursue some random woman I saw at the gym who probably hasn't even seen me before.

Here's the backstory:

I've been going to the gym same times for the last 10 years. My current gym the last 2.5 years. I am part of the early bird group of probably 30 people that are there around 5-5:15am I'm done by 6:30am. It's the same people give or take one or two. There are now three attractive women at that time. The first two I see there all the time since I started at this gym, they are both solid 7's at 5:30am. For whatever reason, they are both very unapproachable and if you can read the situation/body language you know that they don't want to talk to anyone. There to workout, don't bother me type - and that's OK. I've never talked to them and pay no attention.

In the last few months, this other woman joined the early birds. Very attractive. I don't pay much attention to her but she's better looking than the other two.

I don't go up to people and people in general rarely approach me. Some people give off that warm and friendly vibe - let me clear - that is not me. I do have a stable career and my ducks in order though.

For the last month or so she has been the initiator - she has continually been polite when she sees me.. good morning, smiles etc and I respond with the same. I wouldn't bother to initiate at the gym especially, it's just not my thing. It hasn't for over 20 years. If she were like the two women I mentioned above, I would not bother at all.

I'll take my chance. I'll let everyone know how it goes - either way. But probably something like a simple conversation first to see if we are on the same page given the time of day we are there.
Dothe sniff test it works for dogs then raise your upper lip like a horse if you like what you smell, then mount up

Reactions: DHHorn
My dude....

If she's initiated small talk with you on a few occasions then you've been given a window.
I thought maybe she was some rando that you'd been gazing at and filing away in your spank bank.
This is fvcking cake. If you feel confident she's not just being nice for the sake of being nice- then 90% of your work is already done.
Now all you've got to do is pick your moment.

Approach her at the end of your work out, keep a respectable distance- grab your nuts (metaphorically) and ask her to lunch or coffee.

No dinner.
Dinner comes 2nd.

Lunch or coffee means "I'm interested, but not convinced." If she works out, then she's probably competitive. Competative girls want to know why you didn't throw yourself at her and ask her to dinner..... it'll make her curious as to why you may not think she's "good enough" for a dinner date. She'll have something to prove.

If she's NOT competitive, she'll see it as though you're "taking it slow" and being respectful.
See, dinner dates are seen (by women) as a way for a dude to have an excuse for a little fvcky fvcky after. But a LUNCH means you both have to part ways after.... no pressure on her and an escape route for you.

Got it? Good.
I agree with where things seem to be at and probably a few missed chances on my part. I thought about the being nice thing too and I guess i'll find out for certain, but I don't think she is sending me a mixed signal or just looking for attention. I've seen some over the years that are just seeking attention.

Timing has been the tricky part. I see her on the mats where people train ab's or in passing. Otherwise, we are just using equipment for whatever we are training that day.

Here goes:

I saw her Monday and passed on a good chance to talk. I got terrible sleep and wasn't feeling that great. It just wasn't my day. I was training chest, usual time and was almost done with dumbells on the adjustable bench and was one drop set away from heading over to the incline bench which I do next. Right next to the incline bench was the flat bench where she was working out. I coulda put the weights back, skipped the set and went there but nah.. looks staged. If she's not there, there will be other opportunities. Few mins later I finished my set, racked the weights headed over and she was somewhere else. All good.

I finish incline bench sets, do abs and back to adjustable bench where I finish my last few sets. Probably about 4 adjustable benches open, i'm on the far right and the one next to me on my left is open. She comes up and puts her stuff on that bench and does her sets on that bench. We acknowledged, that was it.

I went into this with the mindset of don't make it out to be more than what it is. All this is is one mature adult talking to another (hopefully...probably) mature adult of very similar age who has been friendly and seemingly expressed an openness to talk. There's no ideal time to approach, but if she doesn't want to talk - I'll know and end the conversation and move on.

Didn't cross path's again till late in the week. So they are doing work at my gym and keep moving equipment around. Saw her today, early as usual. We acknowledged on the floor like usual I said to her it looks like they moved everything around again and she responded. I continued the conversation and it was back and forth. We talked about our workouts, what we were training today and few other personal things and of course, I said " I'm (said my actual name) and she told me hers. Don't have her number or plans. But it was a good start. First woman I've approached and initiated conversation with in the gym in about 21 years of going.

So, I'll operate under animosity as I'm a married man of quiet some time but one time in decades of being consistent at the gym one time I saw a opportunity that I took a dip on.

She was doing wall sits with TWO, or (deaux in her language) 45s. That's 90lbs and you can imagine what her 🍑 looked like.

I walked by her after she finished her set and said, "that's impressive" and kept moving. Didn't say anything else for a week or more. Then we just happened to be on the stair-master next to one another and I started making jokes and making her laugh.

Fast forward deaux years later and she was a certified mistress. She knew when to invite me to her house and when to let me be w my family.

She was incredibly beautiful but for some reason had the self confidence of a wall flower.

Ultimately we went our separate ways but I can tell you she was attracted to my sense of humor, devotion to fitness and strong work ethic.

A few take home points:

Some girls want to be invisible at the gym

Some want to be seen but not talked to

Some want to have you talk to them

Some are aggressive enough to seek out who they want.

Some girls will dress COMPLETELY different if there bf is in tow

Hope .02$ of my life story helps!!!

Last edited:
So, I'll operate under animosity as I'm a married man of quiet some time but one time in decades of being consistent at the gym one time I saw a opportunity that I took a dip on.

She was doing wall sits with TWO, or (deaux in her language) 45s. That's 90lbs and you can imagine what her 🍑 looked like.

I walked by her after she finished her set and said, "that's impressive" and kept moving. Didn't say anything else for a week or more. Then we just happened to be on the stair-master next to one another and I started making jokes and making her laugh.

Fast forward deaux years later and she was a certified mistress. She knew when to invite me to her house and when to let me be w my family.

She was incredibly beautiful but for some reason had the self confidence of a wall flower.

Ultimately we went our separate ways but I can tell you she was attracted to my sense of humor, devotion to fitness and strong work ethic.

A few take home points:

Some girls want to be invisible at the gym

Some want to be seen but not talked to

Some want to have you talk to them

Some are aggressive enough to seek out who they want.

Some girls will dress COMPLETELY different if there bf is in tow

Hope .02$ of my life story helps!!!
Judgement free zone here.

Here goes:

I saw her Monday and passed on a good chance to talk. I got terrible sleep and wasn't feeling that great. It just wasn't my day. I was training chest, usual time and was almost done with dumbells on the adjustable bench and was one drop set away from heading over to the incline bench which I do next. Right next to the incline bench was the flat bench where she was working out. I coulda put the weights back, skipped the set and went there but nah.. looks staged. If she's not there, there will be other opportunities. Few mins later I finished my set, racked the weights headed over and she was somewhere else. All good.

I finish incline bench sets, do abs and back to adjustable bench where I finish my last few sets. Probably about 4 adjustable benches open, i'm on the far right and the one next to me on my left is open. She comes up and puts her stuff on that bench and does her sets on that bench. We acknowledged, that was it.

I went into this with the mindset of don't make it out to be more than what it is. All this is is one mature adult talking to another (hopefully...probably) mature adult of very similar age who has been friendly and seemingly expressed an openness to talk. There's no ideal time to approach, but if she doesn't want to talk - I'll know and end the conversation and move on.

Didn't cross path's again till late in the week. So they are doing work at my gym and keep moving equipment around. Saw her today, early as usual. We acknowledged on the floor like usual I said to her it looks like they moved everything around again and she responded. I continued the conversation and it was back and forth. We talked about our workouts, what we were training today and few other personal things and of course, I said " I'm (said my actual name) and she told me hers. Don't have her number or plans. But it was a good start. First woman I've approached and initiated conversation with in the gym in about 21 years of going.
Cool. At least she knows your name now. I'm sure you're probably on Facebook or LinkedIn or Instachatsnapgram or whatever (clob doesn't do that). Whatever you do, don't stalk the chick in cyber world. It's fvcking creepy. But if you find out she's stalking you, well that's more powder for your keg.
Now that you've been formally introduced to one another, you're probabilities of having greater opportunities to pick your "moment" have increased by an order of magnitude.

Not to mention if she's ever "in need" of help during her workout, she's likely to seek help from someone she's familiar with.

Whatever you do, don't ever offer to give her a duck-butter stash. It will totally ruin your chances.

Cool. At least she knows your name now. I'm sure you're probably on Facebook or LinkedIn or Instachatsnapgram or whatever (clob doesn't do that). Whatever you do, don't stalk the chick in cyber world. It's fvcking creepy. But if you find out she's stalking you, well that's more powder for your keg.
Now that you've been formally introduced to one another, you're probabilities of having greater opportunities to pick your "moment" have increased by an order of magnitude.

Not to mention if she's ever "in need" of help during her workout, she's likely to seek help from someone she's familiar with.

Whatever you do, don't ever offer to give her a duck-butter stash. It will totally ruin your chances.
Yeah, I agree. Easier now. She was kinda easy to talk to. And I’m sure our paths cross again soon.

Yeah, I agree. Easier now. She was kinda easy to talk to. And I’m sure our paths cross again soon.
Oh Jesus and mother of God!!!

Just ask her out to lunch already! What the heck are you waiting for? She’s ready my man. The longer you wait someone else either at the gym or somewhere else will be busting a move on her. Just do it already.

Reactions: StainedOrange
Is she there to work out? Or looking more at her phone and trying not to sweat? If she is truly working out, challenge her to a friendly competition- or alternate sets. A little workout intensity is better t for both of your workouts.

Oh Jesus and mother of God!!!

Just ask her out to lunch already! What the heck are you waiting for? She’s ready my man. The longer you wait someone else either at the gym or somewhere else will be busting a move on her. Just do it already.
Hah. Yeah that is true. I get it. Im not gonna drag it out forever. I’m usually a go out for drinks person. We’ll see.

Is she there to work out? Or looking more at her phone and trying not to sweat? If she is truly working out, challenge her to a friendly competition- or alternate sets. A little workout intensity is better t for both of your workouts.
There to workout. She works out pretty hard and has a routine she follows. That’s why timing was an issue.

This is the dude that would offer her a duck butter stash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT