OT: Meniere's Disease

bleedorange2007

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2004
Anyone else suffer from Meniere's Disease here? I was diagnosed earlier this year and for the most part it was more of a nuisance than anything else - tinnitus in my right ear, some minor hearing loss, and occasional short spells of vertigo that OTC meds handled within half an hour. All that changed last month when I had an acute vertigo session that lasted multiple days. Since then, there has not been a day that has gone by without a few hours of vertigo. It's really starting to impair my quality of life. I'm turning 40 and have two small kids and a busy job and all of that is having to take a back seat right now.

I am seeing a neurotologist, Dr. James Kemper, here in Austin since mid-summer and I really like him. I think he is generally held in high regard in the field. We've basically exhausted all the possible medications - diuretic, betahestines, steroids, and even transtympanic injections - to no avail. The remaining options are surgical with the two most likely being an endolymphatic sac shunt or a vestibular nerve section. The former has mixed results but is a less complex surgery and the former has goof results but the surgery is no joke.

My doctor has encouraged me to seek a second opinion given the gravity of the surgeries. Wondering if anyone here has experience with either surgeries or recommendations for other physicians. I've got appointments at UCLA, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Clinic, and Johns Hopkins, but they are all months out and I frankly cannot wait that long.

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.