ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Movies that made us

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
So I couldn't sleep last night due to jet lag and so I was skimming through Netflix and found a new addition called "movies that made us". There were a few episodes and of course one was about the making of Die Hard. Every Xmas Eve since 1990, I've watched Die Hard. Every. Single. Time.
Some things go out of style, or fashion-- but I believe Die hard never will. It was truly the first white knuckle action movie with an "unwilling" hero. All action movies before had roles filled with super human bad asses like Stallone or Arnold or Chuck Norris. Willis's character would rather be back in NYC smoking cigarettes and watching Captain kangaroo. I took one of my recruiting trips to UCLA in HS and they knew what a huge fan of the movie I was and actually took me up to visit Fox plaza (Nakatomi Tower) during my trip to try and sway me.

Regardless, if you're a fan of Die Hard, it's a great watch.

So I couldn't sleep last night due to jet lag and so I was skimming through Netflix and found a new addition called "movies that made us". There were a few episodes and of course one was about the making of Die Hard. Every Xmas Eve since 1990, I've watched Die Hard. Every. Single. Time.
Some things go out of style, or fashion-- but I believe Die hard never will. It was truly the first white knuckle action movie with an "unwilling" hero. All action movies before had roles filled with super human bad asses like Stallone or Arnold or Chuck Norris. Willis's character would rather be back in NYC smoking cigarettes and watching Captain kangaroo. I took one of my recruiting trips to UCLA in HS and they knew what a huge fan of the movie I was and actually took me up to visit Fox plaza (Nakatomi Tower) during my trip to try and sway me.

No doubt Die Hard is one of the best action movies ever made.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Lone Wolf McQuade does it for me! and the Deer Hunter and Jonn Blushi Saturday Nite Sumari Warrior....I was a real Belushi fan...

Reactions: freeper

Evidently there is some debate whether Die Hard is a Christmas movie, when we all know it absolutely is. Let the kids watch it for the first time last season and they liked it, but probably not as much as I do. I have failed them as a father, hell they don't like macaroni & cheese.

Evidently there is some debate whether Die Hard is a Christmas movie, when we all know it absolutely is. Let the kids watch it for the first time last season and they liked it, but probably not as much as I do. I have failed them as a father, hell they don't like macaroni & cheese.
I never really liked Die Hard all that much, but Willis said on his roast "It is not a Christmas movie". Doesn't matter really, if you watch it every Christmas season, then it is a Christmas movie as far as I am concerned.

I never really liked Die Hard all that much, but Willis said on his roast "It is not a Christmas movie". Doesn't matter really, if you watch it every Christmas season, then it is a Christmas movie as far as I am concerned.

I haven't seen that roast; is it worth the time?

Reactions: Belldozer1
Honest question - what makes Die Hard a "Christmas movie" in some people's opinion?

I am not sure when it was released in the "season", but I remember watching it around the holidays. Rinse and repeat for a couple decades and it feels like a Christmas movie. I believe the movie is "set" during the Christmas holiday season which adds to it.

Reactions: LonghornMM
I am not sure when it was released in the "season", but I remember watching it around the holidays. Rinse and repeat for a couple decades and it feels like a Christmas movie. I believe the movie is "set" during the Christmas holiday season which adds to it.

He goes to LA for Christmas.
The Christmas rap at the beginning.
The “Now I have a machine gun, Ho-Ho-Ho” on the dead terrorist.
The Christmas trees.
The cop singing Christmas songs when he was getting his snacks for his pregnant wife.
Hans Gruber telling Theo it’s Christmas.
Theo says “‘Twas the night before Christmas and not a creature was stirring except 6 cops in standard 4x2 formation” or something like that.
The teddy bear gift with Santa hat.

I could go on but that gives you an idea.

When it comes to watching movies countless times for me it would be Animal House. When I went to San Antonio in May I met my niece's boyfriend who pledged at TCU last year. I asked him if he had watch Animal House and he said yeah. I asked him if he thought it was funny he said yeah I lmao. AH was released 41 years ago and today's kids thought it hilarious. AH was a comedy classic. Oh btw I watched DH and DH2 numero numerous times myself. Can you memorize the dialogue?

He goes to LA for Christmas.
The Christmas rap at the beginning.
The “Now I have a machine gun, Ho-Ho-Ho” on the dead terrorist.
The Christmas trees.
The cop singing Christmas songs when he was getting his snacks for his pregnant wife.
Hans Gruber telling Theo it’s Christmas.
Theo says “‘Twas the night before Christmas and not a creature was stirring except 6 cops in standard 4x2 formation” or something like that.
The teddy bear gift with Santa hat.

I could go on but that gives you an idea.

So you're a fan?

Die Hard is a Christmas movie. Willis said it wasn't during the roast but I think that was just to stir the debate. He did it with a sly smile on his face.
Even the trailer has Xmas music.

Beethoven's Ode to Joy is in one trailer.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Die Hard is a Christmas movie. Willis said it wasn't during the roast but I think that was just to stir the debate. He did it with a sly smile on his face.
Even the trailer has Xmas music.

Beethoven's Ode to Joy is in one trailer.

Agreed. All of what I said above, plus Gruber and his hoodlums interrupt a Christmas Party at the Nakatomi Building

When I was young, Linda Lovelace and Marilyn Chambers was the cutting edge Technology! They helped a many of young men where Sex Ed at school failed..

T’is the season and it’s on tonight!
My daughter walked by and asked what am I watching and I said “Die Hard-a Christmas movie”.
Being 12, she responds “What-ev”.

Punchy Deniro has caused a reconfiguration of my all time favorites. I respect people having a political view, but this guy is too in your face where I can’t enjoy the movie he is in. All I see is his face and his insults.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT