ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Oldest person you ever knew, and anything you learned from them

Willie Jennings

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2008
Who is the oldest person you ever knew, what year were they born, what did you learn from them, and do you have any cool stories they told you from their era?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I had a great great aunt born during the Rutherford B. Hayes presidency in 1878 that I met a couple of times but can't say I knew her. My great grandmother born in Alabama in 1882 was a pistol when I was a kid and had all kinds of funny sayings. She had been a widow for 55 years when I met her and she never remarried, her husband died of brucellosis in the teens or early twenties and she raised 6 kids. She lived with my grandparents and was very deliberate about things. Everything had to be just so, but she was very funny. She was not very affectionate which I have heard from others was fairly common among people of that era. She died when I was in elementary school and it was the first time I really thought about death. I wish I had been curious enough to ask her more questions. She grew up in the horseback era with only dirt roads and no plumbing or electricity and saw so much history including both world wars, the moon shot, the telephone, the car, A-bomb, the airplane, the TV, the computer, etc.. I have often thought that her life span (1882 - 1980) was probably more revolutionary technologically and politically than we will see again for hundreds of years.

We have some people on this board I am sure that knew people born long before her and I would love to hear about them first hand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News