ADVERTISEMENT

OT: WW2

FlourBluffHorn

Jan 5, 2007
Big ass Jap Sub that surrendered to Navy, and only had 1 toilet for whole crew..bigger than ours..LOL

Japanese I-400 class submarine I-400 (boat 5231), surrendered to US military boa..

Hook'em

Reactions: TheTruthof2018
You ever studied the Battle of Okinawa.
There is a great PBS documentary about it.

The US Army used the flame thrower before but in that battle it was the key for victory

The idea of Godzilla in the Japanese mind comes from the flame throwers that were used to burn the Japanese out of their fortifications

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Imagine the line in the morning. Plus, it's probably one of those squatty ones.

Be a long one that's for sure, probably a RV trailer toilet..little guys, little toilet, be able to smell shit all over the boat when someone went LOL! Bet it was a long chow line too and they had to have had to Hot Bunk on that thing

Hook'em

You ever studied the Battle of Okinawa.
There is a great PBS documentary about it.

The US Army used the flame thrower before but in that battle it was the key for victory

The idea of Godzilla in the Japanese mind comes from the flame throwers that were used to burn the Japanese out of their fortifications

I watch the Pacific at War in color on the Smithsonian Channel

Hook'em

Reactions: TheTruthof2018
I watch the Pacific at sometime. in color on the Smithsonian Channel

Hook'em
My favorite war. I especially like the ending. Sidebar: my sister married the son of the commanding general of the Italian air force, about 1982. He had a story about going to a NATO war game. He got kinda drunk with the German generals. As the night wore on, they were talking about how good things were in Germany in the 30s... Springtime for Hitler!

that giant Japanese sub was in fact an air craft carrier. It held 2 planes. The Japs surrendered 2 of them to us. Right after the war, Stalin demanded access to it so his guys could examine it, but the US Navy skuttled them before that could happen. Now, our guys had had plenty of time with it. This was on AHC about a month ago.

Japan tried to invade our mainland and I just looking at my fathers records, he was station at Dutch Harbor or around there during this period. They got closer than everyone thought!

https://www.businessinsider.com/bat...I_Newsletters&mt=8&utm_campaign=email_article

Hook'em
Sure hope you got to hear stories from your father about that war. We are losing WWII veterans so quickly these days and their stories are going with them. My grandfather was at Tarawa and Saipan in the Pacific. He died when I was little so I never got the chance to hear any stories he might have wanted to share.

Sure hope you got to hear stories from your father about that war. We are losing WWII veterans so quickly these days and their stories are going with them. My grandfather was at Tarawa and Saipan in the Pacific. He died when I was little so I never got the chance to hear any stories he might have wanted to share.

He told me some good ones, but he said that it was colder than hell, his fingers got frozen and he could not grow any finger nails, Tarawa was the baddest war as I am told cause of the Snipers and the jungle and water shortage, a old timer said it was almost worst than Vietnam, they got on the beach pretty good then all hell broke loose and Saipan This was his shoulder patch..Alaska Defense Command

Hook'em

Reactions: BillyRay
Some of you may not be into reading dry history of the world.

One of the best written histories of WW2 was done by Winston Churchill.

Almost all first hand accounts of the planning by the British in Europe and Asia.

Talks a lot about Burma. They were transporting supplies to the Chinese.
How the battles do not get the recognition but they were bloody and from a strategic point were paramount in beating the Japanese

Almost all first hand accounts of the planning by the British in Europe and Asia.

How the battles do not get the recognition but they were bloody and from a strategic point were paramount in beating the Japanese
I certainly don't read as much as I should. Which book by Churchill are you talking about? I looked around and he has authored quite a few books.

I've read a handful of books from the Germans side by Manstein, Guderian, and Galland. Interesting to get the other sides perspective of what happened as well.

I believe they made a movie outa that called "The Burma Road" Here's one

Hook'em!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT