ADVERTISEMENT

OU to SEC 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but there are a couple of things wrong with your analysis. First, $0.15 is a pure guess, and it's rather generous. Aside from that, as I told the other poster, the subscription fees do not increase. It's a proven fact.

So in the real world, you don't get any boost unless a new market is added.
It's your hypothetical, I was just pointing out the error in your conclusion given your starting assumptions.

As for subscription fees not increasing...

"Last year, the average monthly cost per subscriber for just ESPN was estimated at $6.04. That number is expected to increase to $8.37 in 2018."
LINK

Texas is the biggest brand in college sports. Perhaps you think that doesn't add value to the SEC or the SEC network, but I suspect the decision makers at ESPN and SEC think otherwise. As for me, I couldn't care less, I just want to win a few more championships, and if the easiest road to that goal is a ten team Big12, that's fine. The realignment question will be answered in due time, and I'm sure we'll be fine in the B1G, SEC, PAC, BIG12 or as an independent.

Hook 'em

I thought it was obvious that the conversation I posited is hypothetical. The point is and always has been that the network negotiating with the service provider can demand a higher subscriber fee if the programs that are a part of the network have a large audience. You keep saying that the subscriber fee is flat, doesn't matter which programs are involved, and that is absurd. With your theory, SMU, LaTech, and UCF, if packaged together, would draw the same subscriber fee as Texas, LSU, and Florida, packaged together, because either package gives you the same markets. I've done all I can to help you understand this concept. (Drops the mic and walks away)

Real world examples will occur when it's time for TV deals to be renegotiated. The teams that have added valuable commodities since the last contracts will reap the benefits. All the contracts we are talking about are less than two years old.

It's this simple. If Texas wants to join the SEC They will be welcomed with open arms. If a current member doesn't like it, too bad. Texas in the SEC would be the icing on the cake and the ultimate get for the SEC. The only concern would be if multiple schools opposed their membership then there could be an issue.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
It's this simple. If Texas wants to join the SEC They will be welcomed with open arms. If a current member doesn't like it, too bad. Texas in the SEC would be the icing on the cake and the ultimate get for the SEC. The only concern would be if multiple schools opposed their membership then there could be an issue.
This actually started as a convo about OU/SEC. It turned into Texas/SEC because it would seem to be an obvious example of a school the SEC would invite regardless of already having a member school in the state. Some posters here are just determined to deny the obvious.

Reactions: TexExSpur
I guess my point is that they would want to add teams that have a large fan base and people would want to watch. Money follows teams that have a big fan base and UT's is one of the biggest. Obviously there are reasons why some would not want UT or OU in the SEC, but I don't see how money can be one of them.

OU got invited before A&M in 2010. Invitation allegedly remains open, even with OSU tagging along. UT...no discussion of same. SEC not the least interested in LHN. Patterson is more interested in Dubai than the BXII and OU now realizes it....

The SEC would prefer the North Carolina and Virginia market over the Oklahoma market. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State should go with us to the PAC.

You are in dream world. SEC wanted OU originally before A&M and said then they would make room for Okla Aggie LIte.

The OU fans want nothing to do with the pacific time zone. The vote would be SEC without a doubt. If there was a vote.

Exactly. The winds of change have blown and OU is not so enamored with its prior on its knees approach to dealiing with UT. Following the UT lead we have legitimized Baylor, TCU, and Tech. Time to cut them off at the knee caps.

OU got invited before A&M in 2010. Invitation allegedly remains open, even with OSU tagging along. UT...no discussion of same. SEC not the least interested in LHN. Patterson is more interested in Dubai than the BXII and OU now realizes it....
Lol. What a tool. The Sec would gladly take OU, not your little bro. Not now!

Tiger, you just need to stop.

You have proven your ignorance about media is beyond comprehension. Just quit, all you are doing is making yourself look foolish and losing any glimpse of credibility.

Let me let you in on a secret. An SEC without Texas is worth about 1.30 per head. An SEC with Texas is worth about 2.00 a head. The reason for this is Texas carries the state of Texas like no other. It's like the yankees or Lakers. Ratings follow Texas, which means more money for the network and more money for everyone.

This is why Texas is the prom queen everyone wants to ****.

Put Texas in the B1G and you have a media monster, put Texas any any conference outside of the Big 12 and you have a media monster. Whatever conference Texas and Oklahoma go to instantly becomes the #1 conference in College football.

The SEC is great RIGHT NOW. Wasn't long ago when Alabama and LSU were pure shit. Here is a hint for you, they will be again. It's the world of college football. Texas, USC and Michigan are all down, all will be back up sooner rather than later.

Blue blood programs always come back, and the more blue blood programs you have in your conference the more chance you have of having a top tier program that everyone wants to see.

Texas is not FSU, Texas is not Georgia Tech, Texas is not Clemson, and Texas for sure isn't Aggsy. Texas is so far above those schools when it comes to money, power, rich donors, and media following that those schools together would probably not equal what Texas brings to the table.

I would tell you to show some respect, but the fact is you are ignorant of who Texas really is and what Texas has to offer. There is a reason the highest rated Championship game ever is still Texas vs USC. And it's not because of USC.

Exactly. The winds of change have blown and OU is not so enamored with its prior on its knees approach to dealiing with UT. Following the UT lead we have legitimized Baylor, TCU, and Tech. Time to cut them off at the knee caps.

TRANSLATION

Little Texas schools are kicking our ass and we don't like it, we need to run away before everyone notices we are no longer elite.

What program/instituion are you affiliated with?

long time FSU fan... USF grad way before they had a football team. Does that make a difference? I totally agree that Texas and Oklahoma would add value to the SEC.
I don't believe that the Tier 3 contract(SEC network) would be increased unless the LHN was shut down. Doubt seriously Texas would agree to that. Texas doesn't need the SEC, and seriously every P-5 conference would take them in a heart beat if the LHN didn't exist. imo

You have proven your ignorance about media is beyond comprehension. Just quit, all you are doing is making yourself look foolish and losing any glimpse of credibility.

Let me let you in on a secret. An SEC without Texas is worth about 1.30 per head. An SEC with Texas is worth about 2.00 a head. The reason for this is Texas carries the state of Texas like no other. It's like the yankees or Lakers. Ratings follow Texas, which means more money for the network and more money for everyone.

Put Texas in the B1G and you have a media monster, put Texas any any conference outside of the Big 12 and you have a media monster. Whatever conference Texas and Oklahoma go to instantly becomes the #1 conference in College football.

The SEC is great RIGHT NOW. Wasn't long ago when Alabama and LSU were pure shit. Here is a hint for you, they will be again. It's the world of college football. Texas, USC and Michigan are all down, all will be back up sooner rather than later.

Blue blood programs always come back, and the more blue blood programs you have in your conference the more chance you have of having a top tier program that everyone wants to see.

Texas is not FSU, Texas is not Georgia Tech, Texas is not Clemson, and Texas for sure isn't Aggsy. Texas is so far above those schools when it comes to money, power, rich donors, and media following that those schools together would probably not equal what Texas brings to the table.

I would tell you to show some respect, but the fact is you are ignorant of who Texas really is and what Texas has to offer. There is a reason the highest rated Championship game ever is still Texas vs USC. And it's not because of USC.

Too bad that money doesn't guarantee success. Both FSU and Miami together have probably less capital yet who has the most MNC'S over the last 35 yrs? Who has won more games over those 35 years?

Too bad that money doesn't guarantee success. Both FSU and Miami together have probably less capital yet who has the most MNC'S over the last 35 yrs? Who has won more games over those 35 years?
Dunno, who?

Florida State The Seminoles encountered two scandals under former coach Bobby Bowden. A sports agent bought more than $6,000 worth of shoes for Florida State players in 1993, putting the program on probation for a year. The Seminoles ran into NCAA trouble once again in 2007, as 61 players from 10 sports were implicated in an academic scandal. Florida State’s football program was forced to vacate 12 wins and six scholarships.

Miami The Hurricanes have been in and out of the NCAA doghouse over the last 20 years. Former academic advisor Tony Russell helped to falsify Pell Grants in the 1990s, which helped add some extra cash in the pockets of athletes. Miami lost 31 scholarships over three years and faced a one-year bowl ban. The Hurricanes are under NCAA scrutiny once again, as former booster Nevin Shapiro allegedly provided extra benefits to players. One of Shapiro’s associates (Sean Allen) was recently accused of continuing to work as an illegal recruiter for Miami. Miami instituted a bowl ban in 2011 to help soften the blow from the Shapiro investigation, but the program is still facing stiff penalties from the NCAA.

link

long time FSU fan... USF grad way before they had a football team. Does that make a difference? I totally agree that Texas and Oklahoma would add value to the SEC.
I don't believe that the Tier 3 contract(SEC network) would be increased unless the LHN was shut down. Doubt seriously Texas would agree to that. Texas doesn't need the SEC, and seriously every P-5 conference would take them in a heart beat if the LHN didn't exist. imo
Had nothing to do with your opinion, I was curious due to your handle.

The LHN won't exist if Texas goes anywhere but West.

Yea LHN would have to be worked out. I imagine the deal would be morphing LHN into some sort of conference network but allowing Texas to keep the money it is entitled to from the original contract. As for Patterson all he cares about is money so if the numbers worked out he'd sign the deal.

No, it's you who are ignorant of how the TV market works. The subscription rate does not increase with more teams. Sorry, but it's already been proven that it doesn't. You keep talking about how Texas carries the market. What you don't realize is that this isn't how the conference networks are distributed. Viewers don't have to make an active effort to subscribe. The network gets bundled into an larger package. That's why it's valuable. It's not dependent simply on ratings/advertising. The network makes money because it can generate revenue even when a subscriber isn't viewing.

Sorry, but you simply have no proof to support your assertion that the rate goes up. Prove it. I have proof of the opposite.

TRANSLATION

Little Texas schools are kicking our ass and we don't like it, we need to run away before everyone notices we are no longer elite.
No, it appears the mighty Horns are having a worse time competing with Little Texas, and OU is not getting LHN money to babysit Aunt Pinnypat's Sunday School w barely 50,000 butts in the seat.

Time to move up to adult football.

First of all..... "F" Ou.......they are getting their butts handed to them in recruiting and they are starting to panic.....and second "adult football" seriously....Ou can't compete in whatever you want to call THIS football let alone "adult football"
I was gonna look up the last time Ou won an "adult football game" lets say a national championship but the last BIGXII team to accomplish that was TEXAS. Personally I don't think the NCAA will last much longer......I see a split of the elite going rouge and starting their own thing....thus killing the NCAA in the process. So what are thise TV ratings worth when Bama......LSU.....Auburn....Ou.....TEXAS...USC....Michigan.....Ohio st.....Florida.....Miami...FSU.....decide to leave the NCAA?

No, I'm not ignoring ratings. I'm telling you that the ratings don't come into play, because they don't really change. If Texas was added to the SEC, the overall ratings are not going to see a significant shift. That's because the SEC already has the highest ratings in college football. For Texas to affect the ratings average, Texas would have to pull in higher ratings. If the ratings Texas gets are the same or lower, then that doesn't raise the average.

And again, you are simply wrong. The subscriber fees do not go up when new teams are added. You are simply wrong when you say that. The Big Ten's subscribers fees did not go up when they expanded. The Big Ten originally started out with a $1.00 subscription fee. When Nebraska was added, it still stayed $1.00. When Rutgers and Maryland were added, it still stayed $1.00. If Texas was added to the SEC, the subscription fee would still only be $1.30. You can argue with me all you want, but the facts don't support your assertions.

I'm sure you can't understand why a Mercedes is worth more than a Ford. If more people watch, more then the product is more valuable. It has been proven to those that matter, Texas is the most popular team in college football. Say what you want, Texas is to college football what the Lakers are to the NBA and the Yankees are to the Majors. You might not believe it, but a hell of a lot more would watch if Texas was in that conference.

I think the Yankees have proven that, but I'm sure it is good to have it.

No, it's you who are ignorant of how the TV market works. The subscription rate does not increase with more teams. Sorry, but it's already been proven that it doesn't. You keep talking about how Texas carries the market. What you don't realize is that this isn't how the conference networks are distributed. Viewers don't have to make an active effort to subscribe. The network gets bundled into an larger package. That's why it's valuable. It's not dependent simply on ratings/advertising. The network makes money because it can generate revenue even when a subscriber isn't viewing.

Sorry, but you simply have no proof to support your assertion that the rate goes up. Prove it. I have proof of the opposite.

What is your proof neck? the fact that you got 1.30? Those that matter have said What Texas is worth, and only 2 sports franchises in the world are worth more than Texas. The worth is based on following.

No, it appears the mighty Horns are having a worse time competing with Little Texas, and OU is not getting LHN money to babysit Aunt Pinnypat's Sunday School w barely 50,000 butts in the seat.

Time to move up to adult football.

Yea, but your the one crying. Your the one that wants to jump to the adult league when you are getting your asses kicked in this league. What a bunch of pussies

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT