ADVERTISEMENT

Patience is an excuse

BigHookem

Dec 7, 2003
I understands calls for patience but let's keep it real as well.
- Urban Meyer took an OSU team and started winning out of the gate (including a national championship with a 3rd string QB)
- Bob Stoops won big his second year (no 50-7 losses or special team fiascos)
- Jim Harbaugh is turning the tide impressively at Michigan who has been in the dumps for years.
- Art Briles took over a Baylor team that was the laughing stock of the BigXII- 2 titles in hand with more to come.

We have a major problem. Things are not getting better at all. Say what you want but our team is quitting and our coaches have no answer. We are sloppy and we are 1-4. I have no pity - CS knew the expectations when he took the 5M salary....

I agree wholeheartedly. We will end this season most likely with a 3-9 record. That should get you canned at any big-time program. 1-11 is still not out of the realm of possibilities. I have tried to believe in and support Charlie's method of doing things. However, I no longer believe that he can deliver and things need to change drastically.

Texas gets great recruiting classes, according to virtually all assessments in February of each year. K State would love to have the talent that is sitting on the bench for UT, but they simply don't have that level of talent. However, K State fields a respectable team nearly every year, with outstanding teams every so often. But they still know how to line up properly on defense, how to make an open field tackle, how to snap a ball to a punter and have that punter kick, how to make extra points, and show levels of discipline and execution that Texas has lacked completely. Snyder, if he had the talent UT had, would absolutely not be 1-4! For all of the animosity against HC Bob Stoops from the Texas faithful, there is no way at all that if Bob Stoops had been handed the reigns of the Longhorn team last January that they would be 1-4 right now. The same could be said for the coaches of Baylor and TCU.
As I mentioned on another thread, though, I would love to see UT being "Texas Strong", with this coaching staff together for the next ten years. I am certain many Sooner fans would even chip in to help pay the contract costs of keeping this coaching staff united in Austin for a long time!

Charlie Strong did not create the entire mess that is Texas right now, but he manufactured a large portion of it.

He hired his offensive staff, he allowed Shawn Watson an entire offseason of work with the offense before scrapping it one week into the season and he’s the coach who had the final say on all personnel decisions.

To make it clear, Strong has coached this program for a year-and-a-half not Mack Brown.

The mental errors Texas has committed are inexcusable – the first quarter should be on loop the rest of the season for the team as an example of what not to do – and they're the type of things that don't happen to good teams. But the thing is, the Longhorns aren’t a good team yet. Texas fans have confused expectations with reality.

Texas is in a rebuilding process, and Strong needs room to breathe.

That’s what Texas is currently, and like it or not, Strong is the guy in charge of fixing it.

Right now, Strong has one really good recruiting class on board and not a ton else. It's up to him to find the solution, and he's shown the ability to both develop and recruit in his short time as a head coach. But Strong needs a bit of time. Guys like Malcom Brown and Jordan Hicks covered up a lot last year on defense, and the Longhorns are now officially barren of upperclassmen talent.

Those are things Strong can’t help.

It's up to Strong to restock, but he needs at least three years to do so. There's no telling yet if he's the right guy for the job, but he's got to have some time to actually find success or fail. Right now, Strong hasn't had enough games to determine either.

Strong was asked Saturday if the TCU game was his worst day as a head coach. He answered as bluntly as possible.

“Oh, it is.”

Strong even had a little chuckle while answering the question. The 55-year-old head coach knows the work that’s in front of him, and he’s quite aware the seismic wave of pessimism Texas’ 43-point loss to TCU created about his regime.

It's Strong's seventh defeat by 21 points or more at Texas.

It should be his last.

But it probably won’t be.

What Strong needs is time, and that will be the only way anyone will know if his tenure is a success or failure. The rebuild is well underway for the Longhorns, it’s now fully on Strong to make it work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT