Post Game Thoughts

badboy783

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2008
The Woodlands, TX
Let’s get the negatives out of the way early.

I didn’t think Sark had a great opening game plan drawn up. I thought he would look to do what we didn’t against Michigan and go lateral before pounding the rock right at OU. Or get Quinn on the move early. Felt like we played in a box for the first quarter.

That being said, Ewers was no help. And I’ve been one of his biggest fans since he first got here. He was simply off on the first couple of series. He was nervous and you could see it in his footwork. But once he settled in, the game was over. This wasn’t a game he needed to win. It was a game he needed to not lose. 1 turnover early, couple of really good reads and solid throws. The rest was pretty text book and he’s back to game speed after 3 weeks spectating.

Credit to Venables. I thought he had a great opening game plan. I’m always fascinated by the amount of looks an opposing defense can create. OU was very multiple on defense and it received no help from its offense. Make no mistake, Ewers was seeing chaos on the defensive side of the ball early on. The decision to eat a couple of balls instead of force them shouldn’t be overstated. Eventually the Sooners D would cave in and Texas would dominate from Q2 thru Q4.

Game ball to the Texas O-line, WR room and RB room. One thing the WR’s could do better is block. It’s the difference in some home runs that are almost there.

MVP - the Texas defense. We keep hearing they haven’t really been tested yet. UGA rolling in next week coming off of 600 yards of offense against MSU. We’ll need elite play. I don’t buy the non tested argument. This defense is nasty fast and physical. They’re too consistent to be living off of poor offensive play. Simmons and Hill are special… Really special.

What a train wreck that OU offense is. New looks with all the delayed misdirection and counters and it looked like something they installed the day before the game, not something they worked on for 2 weeks. Texas defense had the young QB so confused he thought a wide open RB was covered and threw it away on another 4th down.

The game was over when Texas was down 3-0 and Ewers hit Moore for a 26 yard completion on the run. Ewers went 6/7 on that drive with a tuddie. Texas didn’t need the lead to feel the momentum completely shift with that completion after OU mustered only 3 points off of great field position in the 1st quarter. After the first TD it felt like there was a sigh of relief as to almost say, let the ass whippin’ commence.

Venables is now on the side of two of the most lopsided losses in series history. Hope they keep him forever. He’s clearly a good DC and that’s about it. OU is in dangerous territory.

Bring on the Dawgs. We’re just getting warmed up.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.