ADVERTISEMENT

Post game wrap-up: Shane Buechele talks about first start, Tyrone Swoopes happy to contribute

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
There was a sense of relief from players during the postgame interview session after Texas’ 50-47 double-overtime victory against Notre Dame on Sunday. However, every player expressed this year’s team still had more to accomplish, and nobody was ready to act like they crossed the finish line.

Here are the highlights from the postgame interviews:

- Texas quarterback Shane Buechele has the same composure in front of a camera as he did in front of over 100,000 fans on Sunday. It appears evident he will be the face of this team during the next four seasons, and he handled the spotlight very well.

- Here was Buechele’s key to relaxing: “It’s just staying calm, cool and collected. Coach (Sterlin) Gilbert says it all the time, especially with the senior leadership, just being able to look up to them, and them keeping me calm, especially Ty. He kept me calm. Just being able to go out there and execute and do the plays that we have. Just kept me comfortable. That’s all we ask for, just execution. I’m just really happy we came out with the win.”

- Buechele enjoyed watching Swoopes lead Texas with the 18-wheeler package. He said the most important thing was winning in front of the home crowd.

- Even though Buechele had a strong performance in his college debut, he remained humble: “It was alright. We did some good things. We did some bad things. Just got to go in the film room, correct some stuff, and we’re just excited we came out with the win.”

- Buechele described being able to win this game with Swoopes as “really special.” In addition, Buechele said, “We could not have won the game without Ty. Just executing what he did, and executing what the team did. A great team win. I’m just excited we came out with the win.”

- In fact, Buechele praised Swoopes for helping him transition from being a high school quarterback to Texas’ starter: “Ty has helped me tremendously. Just having that leadership to lean on. Since I got here, he took me in greatly. I’m very thankful for his leadership.”

- So far, Buechele said nobody has noticed him on campus. He said, “I don’t think they expect a 6-foot, 190 guy to be playing football.”

- Here is Buechele’s response when asked what the different was between a game at Arlington Lamar High School and a season opener against Notre Dame: “Nothing. The field’s 100-yards long. It’s the same. There’s just a lot more people there. It’s just exciting. I have the same feeling.”

- Swoopes said he was not upset when Strong informed him on Saturday that Buechele would start against Notre Dame: “I’m always ready. I knew I was going to have my package. I knew that was going to be my role. When I got that opportunity, I did it to the best of my ability. That’s what they expect for me. That’s what I’m going to do.”

- When asked if the 18-wheeler package revitalized him, Swoopes said it just helps the team when it is time to make plays.

- Texas faced third-and-1 in double overtime, and Swoopes ran like a man possessed. Swoopes ran over multiple tacklers during his 10-yard run. Two plays later, Swoopes scored on a 6-yard run. When asked about that devastating run on third down, the quarterback said he was determined not to be tackled: “Yeah, that’s just the way we are. I think that’s the way we built our team just to be resilient, not to give up. I think that was just that part of our team coming out in that situation.”

- Gilbert said both quarterbacks knew the situation, and knew some of the scenarios that were going to occur on Sunday. He described both quarterbacks as very unselfish.

- During Gilbert’s press conference on Tuesday, he was relaxed. Gilbert said he had the same feeling during the game, too.

- Gilbert would not discuss how much of the playbook he is using with Buechele right now. However, he said as the season goes along, there will be room to grow the playbook. In addition, he said there is still room for growth.

- Here was Gilbert’s take on Buechele: “You go out and you go some things that he knows and understands really well and you just try to do those things with him. Just see where he starts out and just go from there. Just build from there schematically where we’re going, and what direction we need to go. You just kind of coach on the fly from there.”

- This is a good nugget for Longhorn fans. After Buechele threw his first interception, Gilbert had a brief conversation with his quarterback. The message was simple: “Let’s ride. Let’s go.” Gilbert said Buechele’s face remained the same. He had a good look in his eyes, and his quarterback was ready to go back out there.

- In addition, Gilbert praised the offensive line: “They did a great job. As they go, we go. ... Guys just battled and fought and paved the way for us. “

Here are some postgame notes provided by UT:

- Shane Buechele is the first true freshman to start at QB for the Longhorns in the season opener since Bobby Layne in 1944. He is just the ninth true freshman to start at quarterback in a game in school history and the first since David Ash in 2011.

- Buechele’s 72-yard pass TD is tied for the 4th longest by a freshman QB in Texas history.

- Buechele finished 16-for-26 with 313 yards of total offense.

- Tyrone Swoopes rushed for 53 yards and three touchdowns, including the game winner in the second overtime. He is now seventh in QB rushing yards in school history with 854 and tied for third among QBs with 20 rushing touchdowns.

- John Burt led the Longhorns in receiving yards with 111, including the 72-yard TD from Shane Buechele in the third quarter. It was Burt’s second career 100-yard receiving game.

- D’Onta Foreman led the Longhorns in rushing with 131 yards. He scored his first TD of the season in the fourth quarter on a 19-yard rush. It was his fifth career 100-yard rushing game.

- The 131 yards rushing by Foreman were the third-most by a Longhorn all-time against Notre Dame. It was the first 100-yard rushing game in the series since Ricky Williams had 107 yards in 1996.

- Chris Nelson made a career-high 8 tackles in the game, more than doubling his previous career-best (3).

- Jerrod Heard finished with 2 catches for 73 yards in his first game as a wide receiver. His 68-yard reception in the second quarter was longer than 90 of his 92 completions from a season ago.

- Naashon Hughes blocked a field goal attempt in the third quarter, the first blocked FG of his career.

- Sheroid Evans made one tackle in the game. It was his first appearance since October 3, 2013 at Iowa State making for a total of 1,068 days between starts.

- Jake Oliver made a career-high three catches for 36 yards. His 5-yard catch in the first quarter was the first of his career. He followed it with 21-yard completion and a 10-yard completion in the second quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News