ADVERTISEMENT

Prep Advice for Gifted Student

rendavis25

Gold Member
Jul 21, 2003
Wichita KS (Originally Davilla, TX)
So my ten year old that's just finished up her fourth grade year has always been really advanced. My wife and I knew early on that she was smart but always assumed we were also biased.

She tested into gifted classes as early as they allow it here in Kansas which was second grade. At that time we told her gifted teacher the same thing in our assumption of bias when guessing just how smart she was. Her teacher basically said then that no, we were correct and that she was really advanced.

We never had the money for private school but before we enrolled her in kindergarten my wife researched the best public schools near us and we were able to get approved for out of district enrollment. So she's in a school that's about as good as we could hope for.

I've said it here before but my wife passed away this past December. I only mention the above and this to point out that private school and extra changes in her life aren't the best choices or realistic options.

Anyways. I found out last week that she made perfect scores on her state assessment test on both the math and language portions. Which I guess were the only two sections of the test. She didn't miss a single question. So now I'm freaking out worried that I'm not doing something for her that I should be to make sure she's got all options available when she gets ready to start applying for colleges.

I spend a lot of time worried since my wife passed away that I'm not doing something for my daughters that I should be doing. So I'm sure that's part of the stress now. I also know there are a lot of people on this forum who have gone far academically or have children who have.

I never took more than a couple years of junior college and tech schools after I got out of the navy. So I'm lost. I don't really want to add things to stress her out but also don't want her to miss out on opportunities later on because I didn't do something that I should have.

Anyways, I know this was really long. Thanks in advance for anybody that got through that and has some direction to give me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News