ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason Publications

NDAFArly

May 25, 2016
We have been discussing (sometimes nicely debating) the upcoming game & players over the past few weeks.
Now that all the publications but Phil Steele, (which you can still read a lot on his blog), have came out, how do you feel?
I know a lot of the "experts" see things differently than us at times? Which is normal because fans always see their players better than they are.

Look man, there's a dichotomy at play here. We are all, well mostly all with the exception of trolling aggy or sooner, fans of Texas football. Some more than others for sure. The problem becomes the contrast our HOPES as fans and our REALITY as fans.

Many people can be objective-- but only to a certain extent. Some people can be more objective than others--- it's just human nature. Sometimes our desire to hope overrides that desire to grasp reality. The root word of fanatic is FAN. We all HOPE Texas will be much improved this upcoming season but the jury is definitely still out. The REALITY is we still have a long way to go. How much further? Well that comes down to the most subjective of reasoning---- opinion. While some believe Strong must win 9 games to keep his job, others would say 8. Yet others 7. But these are opinions. While we undergo this MAJOR overhaul of our offensive staff, for us to try and "project" a reality based objectively formed opinion about our future success or lack thereof, is irresponsible. We won't KNOW what we have until about 7 days before we kick off to ND. At that point there will be no hiding what we have as a team.

Until then, it's just fodder and click bait.

Look man, there's a dichotomy at play here. We are all, well mostly all with the exception of trolling aggy or sooner, fans of Texas football. Some more than others for sure. The problem becomes the contrast our HOPES as fans and our REALITY as fans.

Many people can be objective-- but only to a certain extent. Some people can be more objective than others--- it's just human nature. Sometimes our desire to hope overrides that desire to grasp reality. The root word of fanatic is FAN. We all HOPE Texas will be much improved this upcoming season but the jury is definitely still out. The REALITY is we still have a long way to go. How much further? Well that comes down to the most subjective of reasoning---- opinion. While some believe Strong must win 9 games to keep his job, others would say 8. Yet others 7. But these are opinions. While we undergo this MAJOR overhaul of our offensive staff, for us to try and "project" a reality based objectively formed opinion about our future success or lack thereof, is irresponsible. We won't KNOW what we have until about 7 days before we kick off to ND. At that point there will be no hiding what we have as a team.

Until then, it's just fodder and click bait.

I agree. I just learned the hard way in the past to not trust my own bias or my fellow fans' bias.
I still remember back 7-8 years ago thinking ND was going to be good because all the other ND fans told me so & we had all these 4* & 5* players. But all the "experts" in the publications said ND was going to be average at best. I refused to believe it. Then ND went 3-9, 6-5 & 6-6. I learned there was a reason we are fans & scouts get paid to scout.
So now there are a few with really good resumes I pay attention to, instead of listening to my fellow ND fans blowing smoke up my rear.

You guys will be a top 10 team when you hit town. If you blow us out, you'll bounce a couple of spots up. If you barely beat us, you'll still bounce a couple of spots because someone ahead of you will lose. If we win, we vault into the top 25 and you drop to 17-18.

Reactions: Cotton #12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT