ADVERTISEMENT

Quick thoughts on Roy Williams retirement

RLong68

Gold Member
Nov 5, 2008
Well, not surprising. Been rumored for awhile given his health issues the last couple of seasons. Long and short, his retirement is obviously huge in terms of the current HC sweepstakes. Some openings create not even a ripple. This one can create a tsnunami given it's Carolina. So what could it mean?

1. I've said for at least a couple of years that Bill Self is a guy that Carolina very well could ring up. Clearly, turning to KU worked quite well the last time for the Heels. And the UNC/KU have a LONG history and in some ways are very much like family going back to when Dean Smith played for Phog Allen. I would be rather stunned if UNC doesn't at least make a call to guage interest. Self is under contract for one more year at KU which you might think seems convenient for him to be ready to leave. There is a MAJOR sticking point. Self is set to collect a retention bonus of $6 million if he as still KU's HC THROUGH the '21-'22 season. Nonetheless, I fully expect Self's name to come up.

2. An off the radar name to keep an eye on is Wes Miller, HC at UNCG. If you are looking for a Carolina "family member" remotely successful right now it is Miller. albeit at a mid-major level. But he also played for Roy in the mid 200s including that '05 title team. INterestingly enough he was never an assistant under Williams but perhaps that is just a coincidence. That being said, man, replacing a 3-time national title winner and the second greatest HC in modern hoops with a under 40 no major experience HC could be seen as too much of a risk?

3. Jay Wright? Mark Few? LEt's be frank. I've said for YEARS that neither of those guys are going to leave their current jobs except for MAYBE something like a Duke or Carolina. It's foolish to discuss their names with any other jobs, but Chapel Hill is the rare one where it's at least remotely reasonable.

LOL. Well I had to quickly delete the Beard stuff. Which is awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News