Quinn Ewers is more comfortable in the pocket entering this season

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers addressed the media on Monday to discuss the season opener against Colorado State.

1. A reporter (not me) asked Ewers about his buzz cut. He laughed and admitted that, upon reflecting on his previous mullet hairstyle, it wasn’t a good look.

2. When asked about entering his last season opener at Texas and how it compares to previous seasons, Ewers responded differently from most players who haven't yet announced their decision to turn pro. Instead of dodging the question, Ewers said he’s able to take it all in because he feels more comfortable now.

3. On what he expects from himself in the season opener, Ewers said, “I mean, just play my game and enjoy the moment. You know, you only get so many opportunities to play, especially in DKR. Just enjoy the moment and have a good time doing it. It's a kid's game that I get to play.”

Additionally, Ewers remarked, “Me taking a step back isn't just like a thing that I do. Every single play, every single rep, I still have urgency and want to play at a super high level. I think just being able to be more comfortable—I don't have so much stuff going on in my head now—I'm more able to kind of slow it down.”

4. On getting into a rhythm with a heavy rotation of receivers, Ewers said, “I think that's what is important about spring ball and fall camp and the weekends in the summertime. Just getting in a rhythm with all those guys. I think we did a great job over the past however many months it’s been. Just getting used to each other and them getting used to me.”

5. Regarding Ryan Niblett at running back, Ewers commented, “He's a smart kid. I think he's always understood each position. I think he's done a good job over the past couple of weeks, switching it up and getting in there. He's gotten used to running between the tackles. I think the biggest change is running around all those guys, whereas he's used to being around the smaller DBs.”

6. When asked which area he has improved the most this offseason, Ewers replied, “I think the biggest thing for me is being more comfortable in the pocket. Not wanting to roll out or look down at the line of scrimmage, but keeping my eyes down the field. Overall, just being comfortable within the offense and comfortable with defensive schemes, both pre-snap and post-snap.”

7. Ewers said he currently weighs around 210 pounds and feels comfortable at that size.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.