Quinn's Linear Progression

caShFLO

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2016
Austin
It's so refreshing to see Quinn progress. Hope I'm not jumping the shark here with 10 regular season games left, but it is so rare to have a progression like this.

Year 1 Mullet Phase - Kinda chubby, flashes of the talent like 1Q Alabama, and OU game along with some serious duds where Sark basically shut him down (TCU/Baylor)

Year 2 Growth Phase - Cut the hair, got in shape, really started to look the part. Serious improvement but still shaky in tight pockets, lots to be desired from a footwork perspective, still too many missed deep shots. Big improvement, but still not "comfortable" by the eye test.

Year 3 Putting it all together - I don't think Michigan tells us ~too much~ about our defense. That Michigan offense is really bad. But their defense is solid and absolutely was a good test for our offense. Quinn's pocket presence, to my eyes, has improved dramatically. I do not like the QB as a consistent designed run threat, however, using your feet to navigate the pocket and to extend plays in order to pass is key. He did the best we have ever seen in that regard and generally, just looked A LOT MORE COMFORTABLE in tight/collapsing pockets.

If I had to nitpick somethings it would be that he still had a couple throws off his back foot without any real pressure, and in the open field when scrambling for a first down, he still kinda looks a bit uncoordinated the way he falls down to avoid contact. Nitpicks.

I think his decision to come back for another year will pay big time dividends for him.

So many times a QB doesn't progress linearly (Sam E peaked his sophomore year). It can be for a variety of reasons like coaching changes, bad offensive line, etc

Super enjoyable to watch and incredibly appreciated after the 2010-2022 dark ages.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.