ADVERTISEMENT

Random thoughts after Texas makes easy work of BYU

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
AP23301735383164.jpg

Let’s call it a workmanlike win for the Longhorns. It wasn’t necessarily a game filled with a bunch of huge plays that we’ll all be reflecting on when the season ends, but it was a good, solid win against a conference opponent with a backup quarterback getting his first start. If there’s one thing this season has shown, it’s that there’s a lot of parity across the board, including in the Big 12, and you can’t take any win for granted. A 35-6 win with a QB making his first start is plenty good enough.

Kedon Slovis’ first three passes … one for a loss of yards, two that were nearly intercepted. This defense looked dialed in early.

Sark said this week that he felt they were close to busting a big punt return, and we saw it happen on BYU’s first punt of the game with Xavier Worthy taking it back 74 yards for a TD. Once Worthy gets some momentum going upfield, it’s pretty much over against any opponent.

That was just a bad read by Maalik Murphy on his first interception. He clearly didn’t see the defender drop back and threw it right to him.

Great start to the game by Jahdae Barron. Honestly, he might be the best player on this entire defense when he’s healthy. Terrance Brooks gets credit for that first-quarter INT, but that was really a play made by Barron.

Kedon Slovis is not good. At all.

I wasn’t a fan of the call on what was going to be a throwback screen to Xavier Worthy when Maalik Murphy fumbled. Jonathon Brooks has to be a bigger help on that block, but with the way Texas was running the ball, I didn’t see the need to do anything cute. Just pin your ears back and try to punch it in.

Barryn Sorrell with his second sack of the year and his first since the Wyoming game. Texas needs more from him.

I know Texas nearly blew a 21-0 lead last week, but this game felt like it was over when Maalik Murphy hit Adonai Mitchell in the second half to push the lead to 21-3.

Ryan Sanborn is a freaking weapon as a punter. A 64-yard punt, on the fly? Are you freaking kidding me. That guy came into the program as a safe bet to be reliable and not make mistakes, but he has blown away expectations.

Man, when Anthony Hill makes a tackle, he doesn’t just drag the ballcarrier to the ground. Thad dude shows up with bad intentions and is just a heavy-hitter.

I still love Savion Red in the wildcat, but at some point he’s going to have to hand the ball off to keep defenses honest.

On that turnover on downs in the third quarter … I would have ran the ball on third and fourth down and taken my chances with my backs. I also would have taken the field goal on fourth down to go up by three scores (why does Sark not seem to see the value in being up by three scores?).

The above being said, I didn’t hate the actual play call on fourth down to throw the ball to JT Sanders. It was a safe toss and you’re counting on your best WR blocker, Jordan Whittington, to keep his man out of the play. Sometimes you just have to credit the defense for making a good play.

Of course, it happened again in the fourth quarter. I get that BYU’s offense wasn’t much of a threat but Sark, TAKE THE POINTS AND GO UP BY THREE SCORES!!!

It was an up-and-down game for Maalik Murphy, which makes sense. He made some nice plays with his arm but also had one really bad interception and then had a fumble on a play that was only partly his fault. He’d finish the game with 170 yards passing and two touchdowns and made some nice throws/decisions when the line gave him some time. I’ll give him a passing grade of a B- considering it was his first start but he’ll need to settle in and be better next week (assuming Ewers is still out) against a good Kansas State team.

Man, don’t you know Michael Taafe wanted to get that interception into the end zone? I was rooting for him to get the score on that play.

Justice Finkley seems to be taking a step forward in his development. Four tackles, 1 sack and a forced fumble late in the game.

Does Jaydon Blue deserve more playing time? I know he’s clearly third in the RB pecking order, but that dude just produces every time he’s given a chance.

Oh by the way, down goes OU today.

Thank goodness Texas gets K-State in Austin. If that game was in Manhattan, I’d probably pick Kansas State and feel pretty comfortable with that choice. Even with the game in Austin, it feels like it’s damn near a toss-up type of game.

Next week is pretty much a make-or-break game for Texas if it hopes to make the Big 12 Championship game. Buckle up.

Suddenly it’s a logjam at the top of the Big 12 standings, with five teams sitting with one loss. The next month is going to be fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News