ADVERTISEMENT

Real Estate / Plumbing Question

Hookem133

Gold Member
Feb 8, 2013
I am selling my house and the buyer’s inspector discovered my sewer line runs under my neighbor’s property on its way to the main line. My house is on pier and beam and the sewer line is PVC and in great shape. The neighbors house was built in early 2000s by the old owners of my house (one big lot, subdivided into two), so for a time the same family owned both houses. This was apparently unknown by the other two previous owners of this house as well.

The buyer wants me to run a new line the main at the street that their guy says costs $38k and my guy says cost $12k. My plumber says there is no risk to the Buyer because the pipe is PVC, deep and looks to be mostly be under their slab home. He said if needed, repairs could be made from my side based on a new pipe sleeve technology.

My questions for this board are the following:

Would you buy a house that has a sewer line crossing another property if a master plumber said it was ok and it’s been this way undiscovered for 25 years?

Do I need to get an easement from my neighbor who happens to be part of the family that did this (old owners of my house)?

If I do need to run a new line, would I be right to ask my neighbor to split the cost given it’s potentially an issue for them (they plan to sell soon)?

Any plumber or real estate contacts I should talk to in Houston?

Anything else I’m missing? Thanks for any help!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News