Recruiting notes of interest from several of the Longhorns' weekend visitors (2 p.m. update)

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
Both are on their way home and both said the visit went very well.

Temple DE Taquon Graham said he really liked the new staff and talking to them about how he'd be used. I asked the UT commitment if he'll still be taking the TCU and Oklahoma visits and he said he was not sure. The fact that he's even considering cancelling those is pretty big for Texas because last week Graham told me he was dead set on taking those last two visits.

DB Chevin Calloway said the visit surpassed his expectations. He will still visit Arkansas next week. He wants to let the UT visit sink in for a couple days, then compare it to the Ole Miss visit he took in December. He'll do the same after the Arkansas visit ... take a couple days to let the excitement of the visit wear off, then weigh his options.

I felt coming into this weekend Texas had to close the gap on Arkansas and I do believe that has happened. Will it be enough for the Longhorns to win out in the end? Hard to say right now, but it was a very productive visit for the Longhorns.

Making more calls but I'll have more from both guys later today.

Texas DB commitment Kobe Boyce is still locked in and tells me he enjoyed the whole visit. The most interesting thing with Boyce's visit is that the coaches want him to play corner and some receiver. They told him they'd like to use him a role similar to USC's Adoree' Jackson.

Texas OL commitment Derek Kerstetter tells me he had a terrific visit overall. This guy is about as locked in as a commitment can be. Said he's ready to finish up school so he can return "home" to UT.

Kerstetter was hosted by Zach Shackelford and spent a lot of time with fellow OL recruit Grant Polley. He said Polley really enjoyed his visit and seemed very excited, but Polley did not tip his hand on if he'll stick with his Colorado commitment for flip to Texas. I still think that one looks good for UT.

JUCO DT Larrell Murchison, who was offered on Saturday, said he really liked the visit, especially the focus on academics and the life UT can provide outside of football. He's unsure if he'll take his Houston visit next week but will still visit Ole Miss on January 27. Following his Ole Miss visit, Murchison said he'll compare and contrast Texas and Ole Miss and make a final decision around National Signing Day. Tough one to call right now because the Ole Miss visit will be big, but Texas definitely helped itself this weekend with Murchison.

I haven't connected with JUCO LB Gary Johnson yet, but Murchison spent a lot of time hanging out with Johnson and said the standout LB had a really good visit. "He enjoyed it," Murchison said. "I can say that. He really enjoyed himself."

From what I can gather, JUCO DT Jamari Chisolm did not get an offer. Chisolm told other recruits today that Texas needs to make sure it can get him in before the coaches will extend an offer.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.