ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Q&A - Any surprises on Wednesday?; Numbers in the 2023 class; more

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
1643734663626.png

With our large oline class in ‘22, how many do we take in ‘23?

By taking potentially seven in this year’s class, it certainly reduces the need at the position for next year. But remember, Texas took only two in the 2021 class (I’ve heard that described as being “criminal” by people close to the program) and most guys from the 2020 group are still unproven. Not to mention three of the four from the 2020 class are no longer in the program and the one who is (Isaiah Hookfin) has played as a reserve in a total of two games in his career. Add it all up and I think you’ll see Texas take a “normal” sized OL group, meaning three at a minimum and probably even four.

Where do you think Perkins will end up? With Campbell, do we end up .top 5?

If I’m being completely honest, I’ve hit a bit of Harold Perkins fatigue over the last month or so when it became pretty clear Texas wasn’t much of a factor. Yes, Perkins mentioned to OB while in Orlando that he might get back to Austin for yet another visit, but it always felt like that trip was unlikely and Texas was hanging on by a threat in this race. Best guess … I’ll go with LSU since it got the last visit, and there was some thought for a while that Perkins might eventually wind up there. The coaching change in Baton Rouge shook things up for a bit and Perkins could literally change his mind a few times as I’m writing this, but I’ll go with the Tigers.

Texas currently sits at No. 5 in the Rivals team rankings and I would have to think that adding a five-star – one of only a few remaining – would solidify UT’s position among the top five.

What’s your favorite food? Other than your wife, who’s the hottest female that ever lived? Do you have another hat that isn’t the blue ADIDAS?

If I’m having to be specific, I’ll go with pizza. If I can be more broad, give me Mexican food.

Hottest female that ever lived … man that’s impossible to answer. I’ll just go with whoever @SteveHookEm posts on the board on any given day.

I have a confession about that hat … I literally went out and bought it to wear on the podcasts since most of my others are either Yankees or Steelers hats. I do have a couple Rivals.com hats … guess I need to expand my hat collection.

If there was a big-name recruit who eventually signs with the school he has always loved, why not commit early to help draw in other big name recruits.

A lot of guys do exactly what you suggested, but some others want to enjoy the process and take their visits. Others just love the attention, even if they’ll act like they don’t care.

Any “so you’re saying there’s a chance” type surprises on Wednesday?

I’m not expecting any right now. We’re keeping our eye on guys like Harold Perkins and Jacoby Mathews but I’d be surprised to see either of those pick Texas. RB Terrance Gibbs is a guy that it feels like Texas could have landed if the staff had pushed, but a source at his school told me Texas isn’t really involved anymore after the RB coaching change in Austin. I’ve actually got a message out this morning to check on Gibbs’ situation. The situation with Ronald Lewis will be interesting to watch, although I don’t expect him to be in Texas’ class (which will hurt mine and @Ketchum’s FutureCast percentages!!!!).

Do you notice any type of regional focus by the staff in state? I noticed a ton of CenTex offers going out recently. Is that the new focus?

I don’t think it’s a regional focus. I think they just have identified some talent in Central Texas and several of those guys were able to get to campus for UT’s junior day, which enabled them to pick up an offer. Texas does seem to be offering quite a few guys though, mostly from the two new assistants and Bo Davis. I’d look for that trend to continue as the coaches try to get UT’s name in front of prospects from all over the country.

When will we be seeing the first 2023 Recruiting Board?

Good timing. My HOPE is to have it finished next week.

Are you sticking with the prediction from a few weeks ago that Texas signs more than one high school recruit on Wednesday?

I don’t think so at this point. That was more of a shot in the dark that someone might sneak onto the radar but it doesn’t seem likely right now.

Do Georgia OC Todd Monken and Bama OC Bill O'Brien both get NFL OC jobs this year and make Texas the leader for Manning?

Good (and timely) question. Judging by reports, O’Brien is likely gone so that would impact things at Bama. Monken’s name has been floated around as well, which makes sense considering his stock is hot right now. If either (or both) of those guys leave, you would have to think that would bode well for Texas.

On one hand, both Bama and Georgia will hire good coordinators. We all know that. On the other hand, Steve Sarkisian basically IS the offensive coordinator at Texas despite Kyle Flood having the title, so that shouldn’t be a concern about Texas (unless UT struggles mightily on the field this year and Sark’s seat begins to get warm). I remember talking to someone close to Quinn Ewers about that when he was being recruited by Tom Herman’s UT staff and Lincoln Riley’s OU staff (and the same can be applied with Ryan Day at Ohio State). There was some thought that at Texas there was instability with the OC position, whereas at Oklahoma Lincoln Riley was the man in charge of the offense and there was no threat of him getting cut loose (or leaving, as he’s since done).

How many WR’s does Texas take in 2023 class?
Does Texas lead with any 2023 WR’s that you know of?

Those numbers are always flexible but adding Isaiah Neyor could play a part in that decision since he still has three years remaining. Texas did take only two in the 2022 class, so I’d look for new coach Brennan Marion to look to bring in a large group, probably around four. As for guys Texas leads with, I’m not sure I’d call the Longhorns an outright leader for any of them right now although UT is in a solid spot with guys like Johntay Cook II, Kyle Parker, Jaden Greathouse and Lafayette Kaiuway (the last two are more flex TEs).

What's your average number of working hours per week? What was the longest week you've worked?

Good question. I’d need to punch in and out of the clock to really be able to answer that. The truth is that it varies quite a bit depending on the time of the year or even the day of the week. It’s definitely a seven day a week job though … even on the slowest of days when there’s no new content, I’m always popping on the boards from time to time to check in. I usually work fairly normal business hours during the day, then try to get away for a few hours in the afternoon to help with kids, run errands, etc … then I’m back working at night either writing or working the phones, or both. The only time I truly take days off is when I’m on vacation and pretty much out of the country, but even then I’m usually on the boards or trying to contribute an update or two if something comes my way (You have to be a bit obsessive in this job.). I don’t take much actual vacation time, but it’s a reason I cherish my time away with the family when it does happen. We don’t get a lot of those opportunities and with four kids that are growing up too quickly, our opportunities for true family vacations are getting fewer and fewer.

Where is Texas in the Harris Sewell recruitment?

Harris Sewell doesn’t say much so it’s hard to get a clear read on him. When I’ve talked to him about Texas, he’s always had great things to say about the staff and what he knows about the program, to the point that there was a time about a year ago that I felt Texas might be the team to beat. It feels like a much more open race right now, especially since Sewell hasn’t been to Austin in a while.

No Texas predictions coming out of Junior Day? Tech, TCU & ou all got commits following their days.

I didn’t make any FutureCast predictions but I’d bet you’ll see some guys from UT’s junior day wind up on the Longhorns’ commitment list in time. Texas wasn’t really pushing for a bunch of pledges at that event.

Who retires from covering Texas football first, you or Ketch?
Over/under this happens in the next 10 years?

Whichever one of us wins the lottery first!

We both love our jobs and are “youngish” in terms of retirement planning, so no telling how the next 10 years will play out, but it’ll be 20 years that I’ve been with Orangebloods in March and I hope it’s the last job I ever have.

Who is a transfer you think we will land? In order which OL will see the field first? If you could add one recruit that Texas missed on who would you add to make the biggest difference?

TCU defensive end Ochaun Mathis seems like the most likely transfer addition.

Ranking the OL that will see the field first, I’d rank them like this: Devon Campbell (if Texas lands him), Kelvin Banks, Cam Williams, Neto Umeozulu, Cole Hutson, Connor Robertson, Malik Agbo.

I’d probably go with Denver Harris as the guy that could have helped Texas the most.

Give me your full argument on how a backup RB is a top-5 player on this team

Robinson, Worthy, Overshown, Jamison, Cook, Coburn & Murphy are all better players. And that doesn’t include Ewers and Watts who I think will both be better this season.

Talent-wise, Roschon Johnson is a top-five player on the team in my opinion. He just happens to have one of the best players in college football playing in front of him. Johnson produces at a high level every single time he’s on the field, including going for 179 yards and a score when Bijan was out of the last game of the season. He’s averaged more than 5 yards per carry all three years of his career. He got more than 12 touches per game last year, a lot of which comes in critical points of the game, so it’s not as if he’s not a big part of the offense. And I’d strongly disagree with a couple players on your list as being better players than Roschon.

What would you change to disrupt the flow of elite talent to aggy?

Not go 5-7, beat Kansas at home and find a way for a huge marquee win in a game like Alabama.

Chances we finally land a top flight LB prospect (Hill) O/U 50%

Five-star 2023 LB Anthony Hill really likes Texas a lot and he’s been on campus more times than I can remember. Unfortunately for Texas, he wasn’t able to make it in for UT’s junior day because he’d already scheduled other plans, but I wouldn’t read too much into that. The competition is going to be tough, but I’d put it right at 50% for him and I might even be inclined to go a bit higher if he gets back to UT’s campus in the spring, which I’d expect.

We still need Safety help from the Portal. Would we take Chris Adimora back?

It’s not unheard of for guys to enter the portal and then withdraw their name, but that would surprise me.

--- Interested in sponsoring the Recruiting Q&A, 3-2-1 and our recruiting videos, email me at jason@orangebloods.com.

Attachments

• 1643734663626.png
    1643734663626.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5,993
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News