ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Q&A (via Amigo Provisions) - Chances with DJ Hicks and Anthony Hill; more?

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
Image from iOS.gif
Go check out Amigoprovisions.com and USE PROMO CODE: 'OBLOODS' for 15% off your order!

******​

How many DL do we take this cycle? Who will commit next?

Texas is currently at two defensive line commitments in Sydir Mitchell and Dylan Spencer. A guy like Billy Walton could be in that conversation though he’s more of an edge defender, so not a true DL. With players like DJ Hicks, Colton Vasek, Markis Deal and Hunter Osborne still on the board to varying degrees, there are other options but some of those are hard to pin down.

Remember, Texas took a seven-man defensive line class last year so it’s not like the roster doesn’t have some young numbers to throw at the position. In an ideal world, I’d think Texas would take two more in this cycle but that might not be easy unless a new name or two emerges.

I am curious to see what happens with Jamarious Brown, who told OB previously that he’d be visiting Texas this week. As for who will commit next, Vasek and Osborne will decide soon. I’d lean Vasek out of those two, but not even sure I’d put Texas out in front for him.

B/S: You think we get another "surprise" commit like Kirkland in this cycle, only he's a Rivals top 100 player.

I’ll probably sell that one. I do think there will be another surprise since there will inevitably be some movement with both committed and uncommitted guys at some point, but I don’t think we’ll see some Rivals100 player commit somewhat out of the blue.

If for some reason we don’t get a commitment from Baxter, what are some of the other in-state options?

There aren’t many guys in-state that the staff has targeted. Cameron Cook committed to TCU this week and Javin Simpkins (not in-state) committed to Georgia Tech so they’re essentially off the board. If Texas misses on Baxter, which I don’t expect, it’s possible that you could be looking at a one-back class with the attention then focused on 2024 standout Jerrick Gibson.

Is there a “bell cow” defensive recruit, in 2023, that Texas can (operative word here) get a commitment from which will bring needed help on that side of the ball?

Nothing like what you’ve seen from Arch Manning or even Johntay Cook, but Anthony Hill is a player who is very well connected with other top prospects from around the state.

How many are we taking of HS Kids and how many spots saved for the Portal?

Those numbers are pretty much impossible to pin down in the current state of recruiting. I don’t think the staff even has concrete numbers that wouldn’t be flexible. As always, it depends on who wants to come aboard. If you save, say 5 spots, for the portal … you’re sure as hell not turning down a guy like David Hicks if he wants to commit very late.

What are you percentages on Hill and Hicks?

I had Texas at 60% with Anthony Hill when I did my recruiting board in early July, and I’m sticking on that number for now. That being said, I would have felt better about UT’s chances had Hill made a visit to Austin this week since you know A&M will do a good job of impressing him when he hits College Station this weekend. Him also still having an A&M official is a bit of a concern as well for Texas.

I had David Hicks at 40% and while I do feel like Texas’s chances are better than most realize based on the things I’ve heard, I’d maybe bump that down to 30-35% going into this weekend.

When do you expect our next commitment to be public?

It wouldn’t shock me at all if something happened this week/weekend. If not, I’ve got August 10 circled for Cedric Baxter.

Based on @dunlaps lukewarm comments related to Cojoe and Kirkland, the staff should have held at least 1 offer back for a portal OL?

Not sure I agree with that, especially along the offensive line. Both Cojoe and Kirkland, due to youth and injury, are just scratching the surface of their potential. And with Texas signing such an elite class last year, and the likelihood that several of those guys are playing (maybe even starting) this year, it might be hard to convince a portal player to come in. Those guys usually want to go to a school where there’s a wide-open depth chart with no established starter, not a school with potentially young, returning starters.

What is the latest on RB Baxter? We need him to help keep our running back room stocked

How are you feeling about us getting Baxter ?

I’m in agreement with Johntay …

Who are the biggest head-to-head losses to OU or A&M so far? See OU has gotten a few 4 stars lately that we offered as well.

There really haven’t been many losses for Texas. OU just got a commitment from DB Jasiah Wagoner, who technically had a UT offer, but he’s not someone the staff was aggressively pursuing. The only real UT target on OU’s commitment list would be Jaquaize Pettaway. Texas did offer a few of A&M’s commitments, including Bravian Rogers and Jayvon Thomas.

Johntay Cook has been very active in recruiting for Texas. Every class has a player or two that tends to take on that role. Who are some ‘24 guys that could be pied pipers?

Quarterbacks are always going to fill that role to some degree, but Texas is probably having to readjust its QB strategy for next year after the commitment from Arch Manning. It’s usually the higher-rated guys that have the most clout with their peers, so someone like Micah Hudson or Colin Simmons could help on their respective sides of the ball. It’s a good question though because I don’t know that the answer has really surfaced just yet.

Do you think Anthony Hill knows where he wants to go as I type? And, do you think he’ll decide before Baxter on August 10th?

I think Hill is probably leaning somewhere in his mind, but I also think he’s still genuinely pretty torn between both Texas and Texas A&M.

As for him committing before August 10, that’s a bit of a wildcard because he’s always said he doesn’t have a set timeline, but that would surprise me a bit. I do think he decides before his senior season begins, but even that is still up in the air.

If you were in charge would you be offering so many kids earlier or waiting for more portals transfers later in the year?

I’m of the opinion that you can pretty much always find room for portal guys, even if that means you have to make some tough decisions with your current roster. Championship programs, in my opinion, are predominantly built on elite high school recruiting, so that’s where I feel Texas should always focus.

The next commit is a ‘23 guy or a ‘24 guy?

Just curious, how many recruits are you calling in a single day?

It varies. Some days I don’t call any, other days it could be 10-15. It depends on what’s going on (like a big official visit weekend) and it also depends on how much success I have in reaching kids. @Cole Patterson and I should be able to get a lot of in-person interviews following UT’s pool party on Thursday, which means it won’t be as imperative to call a bunch of recruits for the next few days.

O/U- 2 24 Commits by the end of this month?

End of July? Going with the under for sure, unless something crazy happens at the pool party on Thursday.

As you type do you think Toviano knows where he wants to go? Does his destination this weekend provide insight into his ultimate destination?

I’m of the opinion that every recruit has SOME sort of idea of which school he is favoring, even if their mind isn’t completely made up. I would probably put Toviano in that category. He’s one of the toughest kids to read in this cycle because he does such a good job of keeping things pretty quiet, and he’s a smart enough to give every school rave reviews when you talk to him. I do think wherever he visits this week could be a small sign. I literally just hit him up to see if he’d finalized his plans, so hopefully we’ll have that answer soon.

What is Anthony Hill’s decision timeline?

No timeline. He and those close to him have always said he’ll simply decide whenever it feels right. I’ve always had a hunch that things would wrap up this summer and with him down to two that would make sense, but it could very well go into the fall if he’s still torn.

When do you think there is a shift by the current staff to focus on the defense?

Eight of UT’s 20 commitments are from the defensive side of the ball so it’s not like things are skewed towards the offense that much, and truth be told there were bigger needs at certain positions on offense than on defense. I don’t really subscribe to the theory that the staff isn’t focusing on defense … they’re all in on guys like DJ Hicks, Toviano, Anthony Hill, etc.

Over/under UT closes with 2 of 4 from the group of Colton Vasek, Braylan Shelby, Tausili Akana, Damon Wilson.

Place the preceding in order of most to least likely.

B/S you feel good about your Anthony Hill future cast still.

B/S you feel good about your Derrion Guette future cast still

I’m going to go with the under, although that’s a close one.

Most likely to least likely … Braylan Shelby, Colton Vasek, Tausili Akana, Damon Wilson

I don’t technically have a FutureCast put in for Anthony Hill, but if I did it would be for Texas.

Buy on Gullette. There are some things that could turn that one, but from what I’m told this week, it still looks good for Texas.

If you were a recruit, how would you announce your commitment? Hat dance? Sky diving? Via Twitter?

I’m old school (and just old) so something simple. I like what Connor Stroh did. He didn’t play a lot of games during his recruitment, committed to Texas as soon as he was ready but then took the time to notify the other coaches that were recruiting him before making a very respectful announcement on Twitter.

Super happy to see Texas put resources into the OL. When can we expect Texas to do the same on the defensive side on pass rushers? We still have not landed any top end rushers?
Are there any players that are not interested in Texas and just are into OU and A&M? I would have thought the list would have been full of higher recruits for Thursday since Arch is in town? Who would you not be surprised to see show up?

Lots to unpack there. I’m assuming by resources you mean the Pancake Factory NIL deal? If so, I haven’t heard of anything specifically geared for the defensive line that is in the works. It feels a bit like the OL one was done because there was such a massive need with that group. Defensive line doesn’t seem like it’s in quite as dire straits so I’m not sure if any program like that will be put in place.

I do think people are selling Dylan Spencer a bit short. That dude looks like a million bucks and a future NFL player to these eyes. When I’ve seen him in person I’m almost taken aback at how big he is.

David Hicks is very interested in both A&M and OU, but it would be a mischaracterization to say he doesn’t have any interest in Texas.

Two Texas DL commits will be at the pool party, as will targets Markis Deal and Jamarious Brown. I’m sure there will be others as well, including some underclassmen. That’s not a bad start IMO.

Are we done on OL?

That’s a good question. I posed that same inquiry to a key source this week, basically asking if Texas would take a sixth lineman if one of the elite targets still wanted to come aboard. I didn’t get a response, which is unique. That makes me think there’s no firm answer and it would likely depend on who it was, and what the numbers looked like at other positions. But my guess is yes, Texas is probably done at OL for this cycle.

Which of the 2022 signees, 2023 commits, and likely future 2023 commits, will be the next great pass rushing sack artist at Texas? Or will any of them be that?

I mentioned it a couple answers above, but I really like Dylan Spencer. He’s more of an all-around DE that can play the run as well as the pass so he might not rack up huge sack totals, but that guy could be an early NFL Draft pick if he maximizes his talent. From the 2022 class, I think J’Mond Tapp or Ethan Burke could be that guy. It might take Burke a couple years to round into form, but his ceiling might be as high as any DL Texas signed in the last couple years.

Can we have (haz) Hicks, Hill, Toviano and Shanahan please…

That would be great. Thx

Probably not all of them … but with the way this staff has recruited and how quickly it’s been able to build momentum, nothing is out of the question.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News