ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2018

Offer out to 3 star OT from Cypress. He has only been playing for 2 years so is definitely raw. Would be a project but sounds like a guy who has potential to blossom with some weight room and practice time.

Some have said this offer is in response to Angilau deciding to take his 2 year mission but I haven't seen this clearly reported.

https://247sports.com/Player/Christian-Jones-46039688

BC Tweeted out his "silent commit" tweet this afternoon.

Ojomo and Keys were on campus this weekend so likely we sealed the deal with one of them.

BC Tweeted out his "silent commit" tweet this afternoon.

Ojomo and Keys were on campus this weekend so likely we sealed the deal with one of them.
If I had to guess we have silent commitments from: C.Anderson, Josh.Moore and M.Ojomo. J.Ossai and C.Jones looking very good too. L.Keys says we're tied with ND now. Setting up to be a very strong finish to this class.

If I had to guess we have silent commitments from: C.Anderson, Josh.Moore and M.Ojomo. J.Ossai and C.Jones looking very good too. L.Keys says we're tied with ND now. Setting up to be a very strong finish to this class.
THIS

Buy or Sell (OB):

UT lands 6 of the 8 remaining recruiting targets (Bush not included):

Joshua Moore
Ossai
Ojomo
Keys
Anderson
Tucker
Preston
Jones (the OL just offered)

(Buy) Yeah, six sounds about right.
Would we be able to get both Moore and Keys? Seems like once one of them commits l, the other one might start looking at other options. But idk...

Would we be able to get both Moore and Keys? Seems like once one of them commits l, the other one might start looking at other options. But idk...
For sure. With Duvernay and Hemphill out the door, we have room. Keys is more of a slot and our coaches like Moore outside as well and possibly also at DB.

Reactions: thedawg27
– Source also said, from a physical standpoint, Cam Rising looks exceptional…bigger than Ehlinger. Have heard Rising is throwing the ball around but is still not planting hard on the leg he injured this past season.

Rising was a big flip for Herman. Riley is only taking one a year. Rising was his preference. Riley offered Mordecai right after the flip. Who knows Thompson could end up being your top recruit at QB.

Of the two Thompson feels like more the type of QB Herman had at Ohio State and Houston. Not to say he can’t win with other types of QB’s. He can and should

Here is a look at where the Longhorns stand with prospects still on the market (EJ)

Locks

RB Keaontay Ingram, Carthage — Ingram has been committed to Texas since late May and is completely solid. Ingram does not have any official visits set up, and there is no imminent threat in his recruitment. Texas should be able to keep him locked in until National Signing Day.

DL Daniel Carson, William Chrisman (MO) — Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles and Assistant Director of Player Personnel Bryan Carrington won Carson over on his in-home visit last as he gave the Longhorns a verbal commitment a couple of weeks ago. He will sign on signing day.

DL Michael Williams, Dunham School (La.) — UT's newest commit, Williams gave the Longhorns a verbal pledge shortly following his official visit last weekend. He will sign with Texas on signing day. Tom Herman is set to make an in-home visit with him this week.

Should Be In

NT Keondre Coburn, Spring Westfield — Coburn gave Texas a verbal pledge in August but has always been adamant about keeping his options open. The four-star prospect recently visited Miami, and Oregon, TCU and Texas A&M are all vying for his final visit. Still, we have reason to believe he will stick with the Longhorns.

— Four-star Texas nose tackle commit Keondre Coburn was a hot topic on the board today. Coburn has been scheduled to visit Texas A&M on the final weekend for almost a month now. But now that the date is quickly approaching, his plans appear to be up in the air. Coburn was supposed to visit TCU over the weekend but things fell through. He might end up visiting this weekend instead, but Oregon and A&M are still in play for the last trip. At the end of the day, we expect him to stick with Texas.

DE/OLB Joseph Ossai, Conroe Oak Ridge — Ossai’s recruitment has been one of the most interesting of the cycle. But it appears the Longhorns have taken the overwhelming lead over Texas A&M in this one. Texas made a tremendous push while Texas A&M scrambled to find a defensive coordinator and took command a couple of weeks ago when a trio of coaches made an in-home visit. This one isn’t over just yet, but Texas is in a prime position to seal the deal.

OL Calvin Anderson, Rice — It’s safe to put Anderson in this category. The ex-Rice offensive lineman had an incredible official visit over the weekend and told Horns247 that the Longhorns were firmly at the top of his list. Anderson will no longer be making all five officials since Texas 'will be tough to beat.' The biggest threat to UT is Michigan, where he visited over the weekend. Auburn and Oklahoma are on the outside looking in.

OL Christian Jones, Cy Woods — Texas extended an offer to Jones late last week, and the Longhorns immediately started to trend on the 247Sports Crystal Ball. That’s not a surprise considering Jones was patiently waiting for his ‘dream offer’ throughout the recruiting cycle. A former SMU commit, Jones is scheduled to see Vanderbilt this weekend, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see him make it to Texas instead. And if he does, the Longhorns should land him.

— I had the opportunity to catch up with new offensive line target Christian Jones tonight. He has a final three of California, Texas and Vanderbilt and hopes to make a decision in the days leading up to signing day. Jones grew up loving Texas, and it was assumed he would side with the Longhorns immediately. But there is still some work to do. Jones prefers to play on the defensive side of the ball, and his OV to Cal really opened his eyes. We expect him to visit Texas this weekend, but nothing is finalized. I will have more on Jones tomorrow.

WR Joshua Moore, Yoakum — Texas made a big impression on Moore during his official visit last weekend and is surging in his recruitment. Moore’s mother graduated from Texas, the family is related to Oscar Giles and cornerbacks coach Jason Washington made a huge impact when he visited Moore early in the contact period. Moore now feels like he’s a priority for Texas and believes he can play early. This recruitment has been wild, but Texas should feel very confident here, especially after Herman's in-home on Monday.

— Four-star wide receiver Joshua Moore is now set to make his decision on Sunday instead of National Signing Day. From talking to a source close to the family, Herman made a huge impression on his in-home visit tonight, and the Longhorns appear to be in the pole position with just days to go. Moore told us he still plans to visit Oregon, and the Ducks remain a threat. But right now, there is no reason for us to change our Texas predictions.

DL Moro Ojomo, Katy — Ojomo's recruitment has taken a bit of a weird turn. Texas A&M was considered the heavy favorite a couple of weeks ago, but now, it appears the Aggies are out of it. This one is basically a good, old Oklahoma-Texas recruiting battle. The Sooners impressed him on his official visit earlier this month, but the Longhorns made a big impression on him over the weekend and appear to have the lead heading into the final OV visit weekend. He will see Oregon next.

On The Bubble

WR Lawrence Keys III, McDonogh 35 (La.) —After eliminating Texas entirely just a little more than a week ago, Keys is now extremely high on the Longhorns after hosting Drew Mehringer and X-factor Bryan Carrington for an in-home visit last week and making an official visit over the weekend. Keys has been in contact with Carrington since he made a visit in the spring, and the two have a great relationship. Notre Dame and Texas are now his co-leaders heading into his signing day decision. Notre Dame saw him yesterday, while Herman will see him later this week.

OL Casey Tucker, Stanford — Anderson isn't the only grad transfer the Longhorns are looking at. Texas is also making a push for Tucker, an ex-Stanford offensive lineman. Anderson made an official visit to Texas a few weeks ago, and we were told he was impressed with everything on campus. Tucker has a great relationship with new offensive line coach Herb Hand, who will play a big role in his recruitment. With all that said, Arizona State made a huge impression on him last weekend, and TCU made its push this past weekend.

DL Vernon Jackson, Boling — An Alabama commit, Jackson opted not to sign early and is taking a hard look at options closer to home. Jackson recently made an official visit to Texas, and we were told the Longhorns hit a grand slam. According to a source close to Jackson’s recruitment, the three-star prospect is leaning towards staying closer to home — Texas and Texas A&M are the big players in-state. Texas looks like it has a tiny edge right now, but A&M will get him for his final trip.

ILB Andrew Parker, New Orleans — Parker is currently committed to Arkansas, but he is still exploring his options as his recruitment continues to pick up. Texas will host him for a mid-week official visit and is making its push. Todd Orlando visits him in Louisiana last week, and the two are quickly building a relationship. Parker didn’t appear to have much interest in Texas A&M but will now take his final official visit there this weekend. Texas is in the best spot to flip him right now, though.

Work To Do

WR Tommy Bush, Schertz Clemens — Texas is back in the mix with Bush. The Longhorns’ staff, including Tom Herman, made the short trip to see him last week and are now actively recruiting him. However, Bush only has one official visit left and is not sure if he will use it on Texas. Bush is also considering Baylor and Florida for his final trip. Texas was a top school for Bush early on, but contact dropped off throughout the fall. Texas needs to make up ground in a short period of time.

Outside Looking In

QB Tanner McKee, Corona Centennial (Calif.) — Texas is still a top school for the four-star signal-caller. The Longhorns hosted him for an OV this season and made a nice impression. However, Stanford is the heavy favorite, and BYU is likely running second.

WR Jalen Preston, Manvel — Preston made an official visit to Texas A&M over the weekend and remains committed to the Aggies. It is unlikely that he makes an OV to Texas this weekend as originally planned — Texas is out if he doesn't make it to Austin.

WR Jaylen Waddle, Houston Bellaire Episcopal — Texas was actually the favorite for Waddle early in his recruitment. However, the Longhorns slipped throughout the offseason. He didn’t use an OV on Texas but might make an unofficial visit before signing day. Alabama and Texas A&M are the favorites.

On The Radar

DE Caleb Okechukwu, St. John’s (DC) — Okechukwu made an official visit to Texas a couple of weeks ago, and everything went well. However, it doesn’t appear that the Longhorns will make a late push here. Syracuse is trending as the favorite.

Reactions: Cotton #12
Maybe it was just me not keeping up with recruiting, but is this Moore stuff completely out of no where?

Maybe it was just me not keeping up with recruiting, but is this Moore stuff completely out of no where?
Kinda, I think we had people higher on the board. They committed elsewhere, then we were done with recruiting WR's, unless their name was Waddle. Then we found out the Duv's may transfer and RHM may transfer, thus they are now looking to add 1-2 more WR's: Moore, Keys, Waddle, Bush.

Don’t worry I feel the same way. Especially because we heard nothing about Herman and Co. talking to him lately

Saw that Casey Tucker just announced for ASU.
Yeah he's from there. We're looking good with Calvin Anderson and Christian Jones to round out the O Line class. Grad transfer Kevin Feder from tOSU (who has ties to Herb Hand) is another name to ponder.

EJ:

— As Gabe Brooks first reported, Texas running back commit Keaontay Ingram made an official visit to Texas A&M this weekend. Ingram informed the Texas staff before he made the trip, so this wasn’t something that caught the UT coaches off guard. A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher also stopped by to see Ingram on Tuesday. While things went well, it doesn’t seem like there is too much cause for concern. Of course any time a visit this late happens, there will be some caution, but I am told to expect Ingram to sign with the Longhorns next week.

— Alabama extended an offer to rising Katy defensive lineman Moro Ojomo on Tuesday evening. So does that change anything? Unless the Crimson Tide make him a priority and get him on campus this weekend, I would say no. Right now, Ojomo seems like a contingency plan for commit Bobby Brown, who is set to visit Texas A&M this weekend. We still feel very good about where Texas stands with Ojomo heading into signing day.

— Tom Herman and Herb Hand had a busy day as they met with new offensive line target Christian Jones and Rice graduate transfer Calvin Anderson. Jones is still deciding on his weekend official visit plans, but it looks like Texas will get him on campus. Jones had a great in-home visit with Herman and Hand, and UT is his dream school. If he does make it to campus, I expect him to end up at Texas. Anderson had a great trip to Michigan and loved Jim Harbaugh’s NFL pitch. This was an important time for Herman and Hand to see Anderson, and they made the most of it. Right now, Texas is still the favorite in his recruitment.

— Herman will be back on the recruiting trail tomorrow and will make a pivotal in-home visit with Alabama commit Vernon Jackson. From everything we have been able to gather, Jackson is likely to flip to Texas or Texas A&M. The Longhorns hit a home run on his official visit this month, and Herman is expected to make an aggressive pitch tomorrow. Texas is in a great spot, but Texas A&M has the final visit, and the Aggies might be able to push their way past the Longhorns this weekend.

— I’ve checked in with a number of people, and visit plans for Texas commit Keondre Coburn remain fluid. Right now, he is actually scheduled to visit Oregon. But of course, he could decide to stick closer to home and visit TCU — he didn’t make his visit there over the weekend as planned — or A&M, where he was originally slated to be. Overall, we expect him to sign with Texas.

— Texas will host a trio of signees this weekend for unofficial visits. Byron Hobbs, Rafiti Ghirmai and Malcolm Epps will check out their future home, watch Texas vs. Oklahoma battle in hoops and help the Longhorns recruit prospects on campus. D’shawn Jamison, Al’vonte Woodard and Jalen Green are maybes to make it in.

Alabama running backs coach Burton Burns stopped in Boling (Texas) on Wednesday to visit with four-star athlete and Tide commit Vernon Jackson. “He just stopped by and said hey,” Jackson told BamaOnLine. “He talked to my mom a bit. He couldn’t talk to me because I had a basketball game. He just wanted to stop by.” The 6-foot-3, 240-pounder opted not to sign with Alabama last month, instead electing to take official visits. Thus far in January, he’s been to Texas, Alabama, and TCU. He’ll be at Texas A&M this weekend. “Probably one of my best,” Jackson said of the return visit to Tuscaloosa. “Just how close everybody was. It was a pretty cool experience. I did some fun things.”

Nick Saban went in-home with Jackson last month when it was thought he was signing early. The two reconnected during his stay in Tuscaloosa the weekend before last. “Just everyone’s promising all this stuff that I’m going to get early playing time,” Jackson said of Saban’s closing pitch. “But if I go there, the end product … it will be a better decision for me.” With hometown pressure mounting on Jackson to stay closer to Boling at an in-state school, where does Jackson sit with his commitment to Alabama? “Pretty solid,” he said. “Me and my family are going to sit down and talk about it.” Many have targeted this weekend as a potential deciding factor-type trip to College Station. What does another school have to do to ultimately change Jackson’s mind? “I think I just have to have a good visit and trust what the coaches are saying pretty much,” he said.

Longhorns head coach Tom Herman is going in-home tonight, TCU’s Gary Patterson will be in on Thursday before Jackson heads up to College Station on Friday. A week out from National Signing Day, does Jackson see himself signing with the Tide? “Right now, yes,” he said. Jackson is rated the No. 20 athlete and the No. 357 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. He projects as a linebacker for the Crimson Tide. He says Texas A&M likes him as a running back. He says his preference on what he wants to play at the college level changes day to day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT