ADVERTISEMENT

Remembering TX/OK 1984

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
The most bitter game in RRR history. TX came in ranked #1. OK had slipped the last few years. In this game the most hated sooner in history, Brian Bosworth, was born. He talked trash about Austin, burnt orange, and Fred Akers.

This game was played in a monsoon. I'll bet it rained almost 2 inches during the game. Texas scored early and took a 10/0 lead. OK came back and the score was 15/10. And here's where it got controversial. Texas had a first and goal but was stopped on downs. OK ran 3 plays into the line and then took a safety to make it 15/12. TX had the ball and one last chance. They moved the ball to the 5 yard line and then Todd Dodge threw ball and it was intercepted. Or was it? The OK kid caught the ball and his momentum took him out of bounds. The zebras said incomplete.

It had rained so hard the scoreboard stopped working. It was 3rd and Fred Akers didn't know how much time was left so he decided to kick a fg. I didn't like it the call. But it turned out to be the right call we made it and the game ended in a tie.

That interception was the most bitter play in RRS history. Even then I knew it was a bad call and we got lucky.

Final score
TX 15
OK 15

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT