ADVERTISEMENT

RIP! Larry McMurtry

StrangerHorn

Jan 6, 2020
One of my Favorite Writers....

Larry McMurtry, a Pulitzer Prize-winning author and Oscar-winning screenwriter, whose novels about small-town life and the cowboy era of the American West chiseled him into the folklore of his native Texas, died Thursday night. He was 84.

McMurtry shaped Texas’ view of itself far more than any contemporary writer. None achieved his level of critical acclaim or rivaled his Hollywood success, as he simultaneously shattered and celebrated the mythology of his native state.

https://www.dallasnews.com/2021/03/...5XKKOh3rloahaW3RxEupw2rRir7owhpXCux5ONFaUqOXg

Will miss his wit, humor, zaniness, authenticity & insight! Lonesome Dove was nothing less than one of the greatest novels of the 20th century! The characterizations of Woodrow & Gus were simply brilliant! Could there have been two men more old west Texan than those two!? When Gus died It was like I had lost my best friend & mentor.

Last edited:
I loved Lonesome Dove.....although it was pretty near just an embellished story of Goodnight-Loving. Damned good read though....
Charlie was a bigger man than Gus or Call. J. Evetts Haley wrote a great biography of him. I've been to see his dugout at Palo Duro and his later house at Goodnight. The man who saved Cynthia Ann Parker and the buffalo. The first "no gun man" on the frontier.

Another flim that I like is not a Larry
Film is Open Range , 2 of the best,,,,,

I always thought the casting of Kevin Cosner in that movie was not right. He just didn't fit the role. Still it is a great movie.

I loved the movie Texas by James Mitchner. Can't find it anywhere.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
Charlie was a bigger man than Gus or Call. J. Evetts Haley wrote a great biography of him. I've been to see his dugout at Palo Duro and his later house at Goodnight. The man who saved Cynthia Ann Parker and the buffalo. The first "no gun man" on the frontier.

Being a distant decendent of the Parkers it is a book I am going to have to read. My 4th Great grand father was Luther Plummer the husband of Rachael Parker Plummer. She was a Commanche slave for 5 hard years. The movie The Searchers, was based on the story of the Parkers looking for those girls.

that story about Gus being shot by the Indians and sending Peaeye for help....That was when Loving was with a one armed cowboy, and they were pinned down by Indiand....Loving had been shot in the right hand and could not cock his winchester....The one armed guy couldnt cock it either, so they were in a fix,...When Loving died and was buried, Goodnight went and dug him up and brought the body home...

Being a distant decendent of the Parkers it is a book I am going to have to read. My 4th Great grand father was Luther Plummer the husband of Rachael Parker Plummer. She was a Commanche slave for 5 hard years. The movie The Searchers, was based on the story of the Parkers looking for
Being a distant decendent of the Parkers it is a book I am going to have to read. My 4th Great grand father was Luther Plummer the husband of Rachael Parker Plummer. She was a Commanche slave for 5 hard years. The movie The Searchers, was based on the story of the Parkers looking for those girls.
Read about Rachel Plummer in The Warriors Of The Summer Moon. She was harassed by a squaw and had enough and beat the squaw up, but instead of being killed she became greatly respected. She was eventually traded to Comancheros and traded to some people in Santa Fe. She made it back to Texas but died a short time later.

I think way back Goodnight owned the Night Hawk restaurants, I might be mistaken, he owned something there at the Congress Avn. South at Riverside Drive, by the Coliseum....Its been a long time and my memory not worth a shit anymore, I remember there used to be at grocery store at Riverside and Congress...at the bridge..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT