ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals100 TE Kiotti Armstrong breaks down recent visit to Texas

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
Kiotti Armstrong.jpg

Jasper tight end Kiotti Armstrong is a priority target for the Texas Longhorns – and about 20 other programs – and on Saturday, Armstrong was in Austin to take in a UT practice and watch the Longhorns scrimmage. The Rivals100 member said it was a good experience overall and a productive visit.

“Just being able to see practice, see how they operate in the scrimmage. And I got to see my cousin (Tyanthony Smith), see how he’s doing,” Armstrong said of the highlights.

As far as the scrimmage, Armstrong said he focused on the tight end position, and he liked what he saw. The Texas offensive scheme and the way it moves the tight ends around suits Armstrong’s skill set.

“Just seeing how they use the tight end in person. I understand the film shows a lot, but just being able to see it in person and the way the quarterbacks think with the offense overall,” Armstrong said. “It’s kind of like my high school offense where I’m able to do both – off line, in line, flexed out wide.”

The 6-5, 246-pound Armstrong spent some time with Texas tight ends coach Jeff Banks and those two have developed a strong bond over the course of Armstrong’s recruitment.

“I like him a lot. Being able to talk to him, even if it’s not about football. I have a great relationship with him,” Armstrong said.

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian is also involved.

“He tells me to just keep working to build, become more versatile,” Armstrong said. “Just keep working, come here and work on technique.”

Armstrong has an official visit to Texas set up for June 21. He also has plans for official visits to Baylor, LSU, Florida State, Auburn and Texas A&M. His plan is to take those visits and then come to a decision sometime in August or September.

“I’m thinking no later than week four,” Armstrong said of a commitment date. “Just get it out of the way, have fun with my district (play).”

Though he claims no leaders at this point, Texas should be a program that figures heavily into Armstrong’s final decision. He’s familiar with the program, likes the UT staff and said he feels he'd fit in well with the offense that Texas runs.

“The system and the scheme,” Armstrong said about UT’s biggest selling points. “It’s kind of like my high school offense so I’d be able to come in and understand what’s going on.”

Armstrong is ranked as a four-star prospect by Rivals.com and ranks No. 66 on the Rivals100.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News