ADVERTISEMENT

Russia Paid Taliban Bounties for US Troops

Sometime in the late 80s, I went to the Dallas Market Hall gun show. Back when it was the biggest in Texas. There were several Taliban "freedom fighters" in attendance. Back when we were glad that they ran the Russians out of Afghanistan. There was an announcement, they were cheered.

My how the world has changed. And if you'd have run up on stage and domed two of those cats, then shouted out that you'd seen the future and they were going to attack us in a decade or so, you'd have been executed in Huntsville.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
As a combat veteran who spent 15 months in Afghanistan, I call Bravo Sierra on this. What did they pay them? $20? Please, the Taliban or Hagees, is what we called them, loved to shoot at us without any incentive. The Taliban also hated the Russians. I notice that the "story" has not been verified by our so called Intelligence and that means it is unverified. As in, made up.

seems like when you are at war with someone you try and kill em, bounty be damned. I don't like the idea of our guys being out there with a price on their head, but it is combat after all. It wasn't too many years ago that we were giving those Taliban(mujadeen) stinger missals to take out the Russians.

I don't totally disagree. Could there have been some Spetznaz Vympel/FSB funny business going on where they were using counter Intel to target our Tier 1 operators in a hum-int grab? Maybe. We do it. That's the business of the Intel community--- learn as much as you can about your enemy and their methods. Tactics change and thus strategy changes. Our alphabet organizations have gotten so far over their skies with signal Intel grabbing that there has to have been a correction back toward human intel-- special activities guys play games like this with other alphabet organizations-- especially the Russians. Now do I think there was some blanket order issued to everyone to target every American soldier and get paid for it?

Of course not.

But offering bounties to certain "groups" to shwack certain troops is as old as war itself.

seems like when you are at war with someone you try and kill em, bounty be damned. I don't like the idea of our guys being out there with a price on their head, but it is combat after all. It

wasn't too many years ago that we were giving those

Taliban(mujadeen) stinger missals to take out the Russians.

Well Russia was never in Nam ...Hint Hint!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT