ADVERTISEMENT

Sark 2nd half play calling vs. Washington

Slot 9 Right

Not sure what to put here so I put nothing
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
Multiverse
So I keep reading in other threads about Sark not running the ball enough and maybe if we step back and look at the situation he was in in the 2nd half we can see his rationale.

First off Washington has the ball for roughly 20 minutes in the 2nd half to Texas 10. Texas is never closer than down 3 after they score a TD on Brooks reception to start the 3rd.

That is immediatly followed by Washington keeping the ball for 6 minutes and answering the TD. Washington leads 20-10 now halfway thru the 3rd.

Texas comes back with a 1:30 drive that is highlighted by Worthys 2 drops. One was going to be a huge gain the other a sure fire TD. Sark dials these up because he thinks they will work, he's right all that is missing is the finish.

Washington then gets the ball back and goes on a 7 minute drive to go up 27-10. <<< GAME KILLER!!!!!

Folks when teams are down 17 late in the 3rd running the ball goes out the window. This might explain Sarks reasoning for distributing carries. Game situations matter, the score of the game matters.

We then take 3:05 to cut into the lead with another TD to make it 17-27.

We then let them run off another 5 minutes before we get the ball back.

Little under 2 minutes is what it takes for us to get the FG and put us at 20-27.

Then of course we dont get it back until :31 seconds are left.

My point is in all of this about Blue and Brooks not getting enough carries, Im not sure the situation ever dictated for us to be run heavy in that second half. We scored on 3 of 5 drives but we just didnt have the ball enough or were in a situation to explore that possibilty the way Sark probably wanted going into the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News