ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Question: 3rd and 1

utdoc

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2005
Why don’t we have a goal line offensive scheme? One of my many gripes with this staff is (what I believe to be) a gutless approach to 3rd/ 4th down and short situations. It doesn’t matter if we are on the goal line or the 50, we are in shotgun when only a few feet are needed.
Now, more so than in recent history, we finally have two TEs that can block. You’re telling me that having Ehlinger get the snap 6 yards behind the LOS to dance around and find a hole is a better strategy than just lining up and asserting our will in a jumbo package? What a joke and indictment of our coaches’ faith in our interior linemen.

Go to a 2 TEs I formation with Kyle Porter blocking for Daniel Young, and ram it up the gut. Everything else is just weenie scheming and loser football.

Why don’t we have a goal line offensive scheme? One of my many gripes with this staff is (what I believe to be) a gutless approach to 3rd/ 4th down and short situations. It doesn’t matter if we are on the goal line or the 50, we are in shotgun when only a few feet are needed.
Now, more so than in recent history, we finally have two TEs that can block. You’re telling me that having Ehlinger get the snap 6 yards behind the LOS to dance around and find a hole is a better strategy than just lining up and asserting our will in a jumbo package? What a joke and indictment of our coaches’ faith in our interior linemen.

Go to a 2 TEs I formation with Kyle Porter blocking for Daniel Young, and ram it up the gut. Everything else is just weenie scheming and loser football.

They have one, inside the opponents 40 never kick a 3pt field goal. Always go for it on 4th down.

Agreed 2nd and goal inside the 1 yd line against TULSA and we’re in shotgun and end up losing yardage. Get under center a couple of times and move the pile.

Couldn’t agree more. Every offense should have a jumbo power I formation for these situations. Nothing burns me up more than short yardage situations and you line up in shotgun.

Reactions: Cotton #12

It still baffles me that we don't throw the high ball to CJ and let him use his strength and height to man up for it.

Reactions: freeper
They tried exactly this on the 4th down on the goal line. Sam threw it too high.
Man, I don't remember that. I will have to re-watch that one. Well, better too high than intercepted on the bright side.

Line Sam up under center and QB sneak it. He's big enough to get some push.

Man, I don't remember that. I will have to re-watch that one. Well, better too high than intercepted on the bright side.

I say goal line but it was probably more of like the 2or 3 yard line.

Yes! When was the last time we did an under center QB sneak?? Our quarterback weighs 230 lbs!! You’re telling me he can’t muscle it a yard??
It’s baffling.

I think Daniel Young or Kyle Porter should power it in. Frequently, there's space to the right or left that they could check to

Simple answer:

We didn't recruit driving blocking run blockers. We recruited ballet style zone blockers. Don't you zone block, bro?

Drive blocking means you get your hand down heavy, butt up, and get some push.

Zone blockers stand up and play titty slap and try and occupy you while the rb slips by. You can teach drive blockers how to pass block, but it takes time. You can't teach titty slappers to drive block. Why do you think our power cleans went up so much?

Simple answer:

We didn't recruit driving blocking run blockers. We recruited ballet style zone blockers. Don't you zone block, bro?

Drive blocking means you get your hand down heavy, butt up, and get some push.

Zone blockers stand up and play titty slap and try and occupy you while the rb slips by. You can teach drive blockers how to pass block, but it takes time. You can't teach titty slappers to drive block. Why do you think our power cleans went up so much?

Hahahaha “titty slappers”

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
I think Daniel Young or Kyle Porter should power it in. Frequently, there's space to the right or left that they could check to
I don't think I have ever seen Porter break even one tackle. Zero YACs.

I don't think I have ever seen Porter break even one tackle. Zero YACs.
He's not anywhere close my favorite RB, but I'd rather him run into the D Line up the middle than Sam. That's how we lost Colt McCoy for the end of his Freshman year and he wasn't the same for all of his Sophomore year.

Well Doc from what I have seen Hermans only taught them 4 or 5 diff plays so when in doubt, " Punt the shit outa it"!

Hook'em

Finally got a chance to watch the game and I’m not sure I see what everyone is so upset about. In typical fashion against an opponent like this, Texas gets held, interfered with, etc...... no-calls that kill drives and leave points on the board. This continued in the second half which continually put our defense, who played a f’ing killer first half, right back on the field to chase around a pretty fast Tulsa squad (in case you didn’t notice, yeah they’re quick).

About the offense - I would put zero stock in the first 2 games, when TH (or any good coach) is trying not to show too much. I was pumped watching Keonte and Tre (especially) make big time plays without particularly stellar blocking from the interior line. Time and time again. Those guys are going to have special years for us.

Texas has played two games against fast, hungry opponents that each had no burden of expectation. This Saturday against USC is going to be different, and I think we’re all going to be shocked at how much better Texas looks.

Reactions: JasperNewton7
Finally got a chance to watch the game and I’m not sure I see what everyone is so upset about. In typical fashion against an opponent like this, Texas gets held, interfered with, etc...... no-calls that kill drives and leave points on the board. This continued in the second half which continually put our defense, who played a f’ing killer first half, right back on the field to chase around a pretty fast Tulsa squad (in case you didn’t notice, yeah they’re quick).

About the offense - I would put zero stock in the first 2 games, when TH (or any good coach) is trying not to show too much. I was pumped watching Keonte and Tre (especially) make big time plays without particularly stellar blocking from the interior line. Time and time again. Those guys are going to have special years for us.

Texas has played two games against fast, hungry opponents that each had no burden of expectation. This Saturday against USC is going to be different, and I think we’re all going to be shocked at how much better Texas looks.

I like your style HornDrummer. I’m hoping that is exactly what happens.

I agree with much of what you say but I’d think you would rather come out and thump Maryland rather than not show too much and take a loss and all the negativity that brings to the team morale etc?

It makes ya think that FB players are not capabile of retaing more than 5 plays, I have seen this atTexas and other schools, and the play signs on the sideline telling them what to run ..no personal playbooks in College FB

Hook'em

Do they still have sleds on the football field and do not use them at Texas to learn to run block?I thought Daniel Young last week could run through Brick walls.

Last edited:
Do they still have sleds on the football field and do not use them at Texas to learn to run block?I thought Daniel Young last week could run through Brick walls.
he had the hardest hit in the whole game against tulsa. he hit that db harder than pj hit that RB by a mile.

ADVERTISEMENT