So let me get this straight, Herman is agreeing to terms with LSU on Thanksgiving Weekend?

Bum Steer

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Texas
Gents (& perhaps a few ladies)

Today is Thanksgiving. Everyone (including Tom Herman's agent Trace Armstrong) are taking the day off to focus on family except Tom Herman. Herman is in Memphis with his team focused on getting his team prepared to play against Michael Norvell's Memphis Tiger squad tomorrow- yet he has time to finalize a contract to be LSU's coach next season? That is some incredible time management on his part!

Let's be honest with ourselves. Tom Herman is busy getting ready to play Memphis. Tom Herman's agent is probably like the rest of us and is relaxed and focused on his family. Question for everyone: if your "dream job" is having to go thru the formal process of letting their head coach coach his final game tomorrow, and furthermore you have a game to coach tomorrow yourself, are you really trying to make a life-changing decision over a weekend?

Have any of you ever been to Baton Rouge? I actually have and it is f_cking like being in a 3rd world country! Comparing Baton Rouge to Austin is not a comparison- honestly I don't know how we lose recruits to LSU. It is doubtful that either Herman or his wife will find in Baton Rouge the "Southern charm" of impoverished neighborhoods as hospitable as Austin.

Again, I have spent extended time in Baton Rouge. Shopping is sparse. Restaurants (the Village, Mike Anderson's, Tsunami) are sparse. Entertainment is sparse. It's a poor man's College Station in many ways. Fun, yes if you are a College kid. But as an adult, much to be desired.

So, here we are on Thanksgiving day (well before December) when U of H still has a game before their season is over and UT still has a game remaining before its season is over, and we're being told "we better come up with a deal or Herman is done!", those are simply unrealistic expectations. Again, these are adult businessmen making decisions. I don't doubt for a minute that Trace Armstrong is trying to create as sense of urgency on behalf of his client- it is what he is paid to do! I do doubt that Tom Herman is going to throw a hissy-fit and sign with LSU while the current season is still being played out on Thanksgiving weekend. That would simply be irrational and stupid. Who's to say UT wouldn't come with an offer twice that of LSU's? Businessmen want to maximize their monies and behavior like that is counter to that practice.

Perhaps Herman at the end of the day DOES sign with LSU. But honestly, if he IS not willing to wait for UT then I wish him the best of luck in Baton Rouge. It also should be alarming that someone is wanting to get a deal done that quickly without even giving UT a fair look because of some arbitrary date created by a lying, cheating, bull $hitting attorney!

Chip Brown has really taken on some water over the past few months. I like his stuff but he has been all over the place lately and I have dropped my membership because I felt his site was the MSNBC for the Charlie Strong Administration. Bobby saying the say is interesting however again this tactic is called "creating a sense of urgency." It is used in negotiation from negotiating sales to Head Coaching contracts. And it works.

Again, do you REALLY think a contract is going to be signed by Tom Herman on Thanksgiving weekend with UT or he walks? What's another week or so if you are going for your "dream job"? Not much.

We're talking Austin vs Baton Rouge. This is all part of the dance.

Last edited:

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.