ADVERTISEMENT

Socializing prey driven dog with friendly cat

utddg84

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2007
ATX
Anyone have any tips or tricks or success stories to share?

I have a 2 year old male tabby cat that got along great with my previous dog. The cat was raised around the dog as a kitten. I can tell the cat wants this new relationship to work.

My wife and I live in an apartment and just started fostering a 3-4 year old female Bullmastiff through American Bullmastiff Association with the intent to adopt if she is a good fit. She is a small bullmastiff at only 60 pounds but is still a very large and powerful dog. We were told she chased after a cat in her previous foster home but they said it was not in an aggressive way and that it could work out. I was skeptical but since we really liked the dog and decided to give fostering a try.

I took the week off and got her on Monday and I have sensed that it is indeed a prey drive. We have placed scented towels in the opposite beds to get used to each other's scent and placed the cat in a large dog crate to (at a distance and on a leash) correct the dog's fixation and movements towards the crate with treats and the command "Leave It". She is a very sweet and loving dog and is very treat motivated and positive reinforcement motivated. I feel we are making some progress but she is still making some aggressive attempts each day to catch the cat and I am wondering if it will ever change. We are fostering for two and a half weeks.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News