ADVERTISEMENT

Some fan thoughts on Texas' first SEC Media Days

Texas2Big

STFU Donny!
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2005
Austin
First wow what a great 4 days of almost wall to wall Texas Football talk. For a retired guy like me it was great to wake up early and watch SEC This Morning, SEC Now and then Finebaum. That was 4 days, 16 hours a day of football talk and most of it dominated by the Longhorns.

Second, like we all knew, it's really nice to be part of the coolest clique in school. I don't know if being in the SEC "just means more" but it sure is a hell of a lot more fun especially if you are coming into the conference as one of the favorites to win it. Many including Saben have us as number two behind Georgia which is much better than being rated number two behind OUSux in the at the Big 12 Media Days.

Third, I love radio row. Maybe it's from listening to Dallas Sports radio during the Cowboy Super Bowl years during Super Bowl week and they broadcasted from radio row but the idea of media from all over the country being somewhere where my team was participating is just cool to me. A lot of my time during this week has been going to YouTube and catching up not only with OB content but also the other Longhorn affiliates and those of our rivals. In fact I am still having fun going through those today and probably will continue through the weekend.

Fourth, TexAgs Radio was miserable all week. Everyday they were fixated over all the attention Texas was getting. We took away their moment of superiority this year. In past years they could revel in being the only Texas school in the SEC and pushing all their homer smoke about how the Aggies are going to finally do it this year. This year they were only the middle of the pack while their hated rival was on top once again.

Fifth, SEC Mike sucks eggs. He is clearly hit hunting and his purposeful hits on Texas is embarrassing. I like Cousin Shane a lot but Sec Mike is clearly milking Longhorn Hate for all it is worth. Would love to see him eat his words this year.

6th, Media Days gave me some hint at how nice it will be to be part of the SEC Network. LHN was great but myopic on the Longhorns. SECN has a good cadre of hosts and reporters that will be fun to watch.

7th, I have already mentioned SEC Mike but he is only just one of the Old Guard SEC media members who are really anti Texas. Now we had our haters in the Big 12 but like everything else in the SEC it just means more. Quinn got in trouble earlier this year by saying that Texas is everyone's big game which may not be true every year in the SEC but with Texas coming is as a favorite it will certainly be this year. Those old timer SEC guys don't like the idea of Texas coming in and running their party.

8th, I have noticed a pattern with who Finebaum interviews when he wants some takes on Texas versus who he gets for Aggie. On Thursday he had Cedric Golden and Kirk Bohls to discuss Texas and as actual news reporters they can be somewhat trusted to try to give a fair assessment of what's going on at Texas and in Bohls case someone who seems to go out of his way to accentuate the negative. For Aggy though Finebaum loves to go to Looch. I mean he might as well go to the Aggie AD media spokesperson since TexAgs in funded by the 12 Man. He also did the same thing when we stole Schoss. He had Cedric in for Texas and Looch for Aggie. Just an interesting and telling dichotomy I thought.

9th, I think I might get a bit tired of Saban being on ESPN this year. Granted he is the GOAT and I appreciate his knowledge and analysis especially since he picked Texas 2nd in the conference but all the kowtowing is a bit much.

10th and final thought. Not to end on a downer but this week has been glorious but also it has really put the target on this year's team. We have to be 10-2 and make it into the playoffs for this year to be thought of as a success and that is a lot to expect from a school just entering the SEC. I will enjoy the rest of the pre-season and bask in all the positive Texas talk but also know that if things don't go well this year next year at SEC Media Days will be very differernt.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News