Some thoughts on the House race

Kajagoogoo

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2023
Lot (lots and lots) of talk on this board about the President race, and some about the Senate. We haven't talked much about the House. Sitting on a plane again and too tired to work so I thought I'd make a post about it. This election has the potential to be the closet House outcome in forever, and in fact we could actually see it close enough that control flips back and forth for the next two years when members resign or die.

The Pubs have bare control right now, 220-212 with three vacancies. Those vacancies are pretty solid, 2 D and 1 R, so going into the election we have R 221, D 214.

Five seats are going to flip from redistricting, Rs in LA and AL, and 3 D seats in NC.

Most of the rating services have 2 R seats that are "lean D", NE-2 and NY-22. There are no current Dem seats that are "lean R". If the Dems take those (certainly not a given), that would give the Rs a 5 seat lead with the tossups to be decided. The Dems need to take net of 3 of those to win control.

There are 5 tossup seats in CA that are all currently held by Pubs. These will decide it...which means that it will be close to Thanksgiving, or later, before we know who will control the House.

As an aside, I have no problem with mail-in ballots, but they need to be RECEIVED by Election Day. This 3-week counting process is asinine.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.