ADVERTISEMENT

Strong's downfall

DHHorn

Dec 10, 2014
I know this has been discussed in several different threads but what was his biggest mistake, and why are the players not responding with improved play?

I'll go first. One thing that I always noticed was the way he interacts with the players. He seemed to be more of their friend and not their head coach. Joking around giving nicknames, etc... The players like him and I'm sure it helped with recruiting, but it seemed like there was no sense of superiority between him and the players. I noticed how it looked like players would argue with him on the sidelines similar to the way a father and son would. I don't really notice that type of relationship with other coaches, especially Saban and Meyer types. It's like in little league when the coaches son listens to everyone else except his father and throws a fit when is father corrects him only to do it again. Too close of a relationship can be counter productive.

It didn't help that Strong said Texas should never lose 5 games in a year... He has done it in all three of his as head coach.

Reactions: freeper
I know this has been discussed in several different threads but what was his biggest mistake, and why are the players not responding with improved play?

I'll go first. One thing that I always noticed was the way he interacts with the players. He seemed to be more of their friend and not their head coach. Joking around giving nicknames, etc... The players like him and I'm sure it helped with recruiting, but it seemed like there was no sense of superiority between him and the players. I noticed how it looked like players would argue with him on the sidelines similar to the way a father and son would. I don't really notice that type of relationship with other coaches, especially Saban and Meyer types. It's like in little league when the coaches son listens to everyone else except his father and throws a fit when is father corrects him only to do it again. Too close of a relationship can be counter productive.
Those are good points. He always did act like their friend. But as of next week no more crowd surfing for him

He seems similar to John Blake. Recruiting was good but if you know the story of Blake. I'd like for Texas to be good as far as the big 12 is concerned. Not as good as Oklahoma though.

Reactions: brushycreekhorn
He was more like an older brother than a coach/father figure. Young men need to respect AND fear their father. These kids just respected him.... there was no tinge of fear.

He's simply not ready for a head job yet, buuuttttt, I'd take him at OU as our defensive coach in a New York second. The guy is a grand master DC. Hope Stoops is kind to his brother as he hires Strong. jmho.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT