ADVERTISEMENT

Teaching moment for my friends

Ace Boogie!

81,000,000%
Gold Member
Mar 23, 2015
First,

All praise do to Allah - the most merciful and beneficent.

I just wanted to help some of you out. It's obvious that some (not ALL) on here, and generally speaking don't know too much about Black people, except what they see on the news, or on the football field and basketball court.

Just a couple of quick hitters:

HBCU - Historically Black College and University. There was a time where colored folks weren't allowed to go to college; so that's why they exist. No, it isn't racist.

Kamala Harris, went to Howard University an HBCU.

Divine 9 - Black people have their own fraternities and sororities for the very same reason. Thy are called the Divine 9.

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, as we (we as in black folk) call "AKA's" are probably the most popular Black sorority. Their colors are pink and green. Kamala Harris crossed this sorority at Howard University in the 1980's. Sheila Jackson lee is also another member of Alpha Kappa Alpha.
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Fraternity, we call "Alphas". Martin Luther King Jr. was an Alpha. Their colors are black and gold.
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, we call "Kappa's". Mike Tomlin is a Kappa. Their colors are Crimson and Cream.
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, , we call "Delta's". Shirley Chisholm and Mary McLeod Bethune were also Delta's. Their colors are also Crimson and Cream
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, we call "Omegas", "Que's", or "Que Dawgs". A famous Omega being Shaquille O'Neal. Their colors are Purple and Gold.
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, we call "Sigma's". Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice, and John Lewis are famous Sigma's. Their colors are Royal Blue and White.
Zeta Phi Beta, a Sorority we call the "Zetas". Dionne Warrick, and Esther Rolle are famous Zetas. Their colors are also Royal Blue and White.
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, we call "S G Rho". Hattie McDaniels is a famous S G Rho. Their colors are Royal Blue and Gold.
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, as we call "Iota's". Elvin Hayes, Calvin Murphy and Bobby Rush are famous Iota's. Their colors are Charcoal Brown and Gilded Gold.

Complexion.

Just another reminder, Black people come in all types of shades and colors. There are those of us who have really dark skin, those of us who have really light complection. Some of us even look like we're not black. Or some of us are mixed. For example, in Jamaica, Trinidad, or Barbados you'll see a lot of Black people who look like they are Indian. Or in Louisiana you might see a black person who is whiter than your grandmother.

If you don't understand why this happens, let me know I'll be happy to answer.

But just do you're not confused let me illustrate with a couple of diagrams:

Thurgood Marshall. Yes he is a black man.

images

G.K. Butterfield. Yeah him too.

800px-GK_Butterfield%2C_Official_photo_116th_Congress.jpg

Colin Powell. Yes he is a black man.
gq-features-100107-GQfeature6v.jpg

Louis Farrakhan. Yeah, that guys black too

9252a73908dc35ce25428dc34dec2dfe9582e4dc-2560x1060.jpg

Just wanted to give you brothers some peace, and understanding.

Thank you, and if you have any questions, my DM is open. It's a safe space.

Bismillah.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News