ADVERTISEMENT

Texas BASEBALL: Around the HORNS Freshman Class & Roster Building + Written notes on 41 players!

ZachattheDisch

Texas Longhorn Baseball
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2006
Austin, Texas
While everyone is gearing up for Texas Football....ONE MORE WEEK.... I had the pleasure of sitting down with the always knowledgeable @DustinMcComas and @CarolAnn25 to talk Texas Baseball. The newest episode of Around the HORNS was focused on the 2023 recruiting class and what freshman are on campus for Fall ball. In addition, we also dive into some questions around recruiting philosophy and roster building.

Here is the link to the Spotify episode - Around the HORNS

Here is the link to the Apple podcast episode - Around the HORNS

Here is a link to the Youtube video in case you prefer that - Around the HORNS video

There will two more Around the HORNS coming out soon with guests Mike Rooney and Joe Doyle (Senior Analyst - FSS Plus) talking about college baseball in general and also looking ahead to the 2024 class for Texas.

Here is a list of the 2023 freshman class, their position and a few notes on them:

• Will Gasparino - OF
    • Texas staff had to sweat the draft as he had good numbers thrown at him, but he had a high price tag and told his family he wanted to go to college. Son of the Dodgers Scouting Director, he has been scouted a ton. Tulo being on staff played a massive role in helping bring Gaspo to campus. High level tools in a 6'6 frame that Coach Couch will add muscle and bulk to. Gaspo is a kid that oozes raw talent, who can really run. While there are some adjustments that need to be made in his hitting, Coach Longley will enjoy working with a kid that put up some eye popping numbers during the MLB Combine. Gaspo is a great example of a kid you typically see sign with an MLB team
  • Cole Selvig - RHP
    • Ball explodes out of his hand. Hard throwing RHP that has a FB around 92, with a slider in the low to mid 80s and high 70s change. Had a great prep career in Wisconsin and has played really well at a number of big events during the summer circuit. Medium build but has the frame to add more and throw harder as a result. Full swing arm action that could end up being a steal from the Midwest.
  • Easton Tumis - RHP
    • Really good slider and he is throwing hard again after his velo dipped a little a year ago. Up to 94 on his fastball with that plus slider, makes his really tough on the mound. Received a lot of scouting attention this past Spring. Thin kid that Matt Couch is going to love building into a guy that could be potential starter down the line. After coming out of the gates a little slow in the Spring, he really turned it on towards the end of the season and into summer.
  • Casey Borba - 3B
    • Advanced player. Got a lot of attention during last year's run with the USA 18U squad that won gold. Played for his dad at Orange Lutheran who has been around the game for a long time and is well regarded. Mature player that can really hit the ball from gap to gap with good bat speed and decent power.
  • Nik Sanders - C
    • May not be a catcher long term and end up in a corner OF spot. Plus bat speed with power and one of the sweetest RH swings in the class. When looking at projection, Sanders is right up there with ability.
  • Dee Kennedy - SS
    • Middle of the diamond player with a really nice swing. Good arm strength that has improved quite a bit, really good hands and has some natural pop. Could eventually end up in the outfield, a bit like Duplantier in that regard, but he has the potential to hit his way into the lineup. Needs to work on his strikeout ratio, but he is a pure hitter and pro scouts paid plenty of attention to it during the Spring. Was Texas A&M commit at one point, but with the staff change has made his way to Texas. He is a kid that has really impressed the staff early on.
  • Oliver Service - C
    • Multi-athlete sport that is super athletic. Played baseball, hockey, football and track in school. Texas has had success before with a hockey player in Mark Payton. Hockey really helps build eye hand coordination while also improving the physicality in hands and wrists. Service will have to adjust to the level of play, but he is a kid that came to a Texas camp and performed well and recruited Texas more so than the other way around. He set his goal and wasn't leaving till he got that coveted offer. Service is also a kid that everyone loves and everyone raves about after meeting him.
  • Hayden Morris - RHP
    • BIG kid, tall and frame wise. Had injury issues throughout the year, but when right is really really good. Physical presence on the mound that comes downhill at you with one of the best RHP breaking balls in the state. When his stuff is right, he might be the best of the entire group.
  • Sam Ardoin - SS
    • Super athletic kid that is a baseball player. If there is a come out of nowhere candidate in the class, it is Sam. Has great feel for the game, very smooth and has gotten stronger. Obviously, having a big brother like Silas and his father Danny who is a coach and played at a high level really helps as he has a competitive but mature mental makeup. Opportunity is going to be the only blocker as Flores is locked in at SS.
  • Hudson Hamilton - RHP
    • Mental makeup is plus plus. Throws a lot of strikes and has a competitive edge to him. He has impressed the staff early on and has the potential to be a factor early. Profile fits really well with what Coach Pierce has liked in the past. Middle relief early on and potential bridge guy that is a bulldog.
  • Lane Allen - SS
    • Played SS at a high level, but his body and growth will largely determine where he ends up long term. One of the best hitters in the state with a big physical presence. Impressed early on so far. Going from Jr to Sr year, became more fluid which is not usually the norm
  • Ean Czech - 3B
    • Big phyisical guy from Illinois, he has a really good feel for the barrel, played really well during the summer circuit and obviously bleeds burnt orange with his sister Estelle having played for Texas Softball
  • Blake Peterson - OF
    • Local kid from Westlake that has had some injuries, but when healthy can be one of the best bats in the state. Not just a contact based guy, he can really drive the ball well and has a good feel for the barrel. Focused fully on baseball his senior year after splitting time playing football, he is a physical RH hitter slotted to one of the corner OF spots
  • MJ Sweeney - 1B
    • MLB pedigree, which is always something to look for. Watch the movie Moneyball and his dad plays a prominent role in the famous Oakland v. Kansas City game to break the win streak. Big physical guy that can really hit the ball.
  • George Zaharias - RHP
    • Injured for part of the year and was on a strict pitch count during the year which limited the ability to get looks at him but did strike out 17 while giving up just 4 hits back in April. Could be a really sneaky add to the bullpen from the state of Cali
  • Tommy Farmer - OF
    • Farmer can really really run, built solididly, tools are loud and could be a really sneaky get out of Cali
  • Matt Zatopek - RHP
    • Late addition to the class, looked really good during the Connie Mack qualifier with a FB sitting in the low 90s, slider in the high 70s and changeup in the low 80s

Notes on two of the transfers:
  • Gage Boehm - RHP
    • Committed to Texas out of HS, but had an arm injury and ended up going elsewhere and then the JUCO route. He is coming from San Jac and the stuff is real, having hit 95mph with a good breaking ball.
  • Will Mercer - LHP
    • He has impressed since arriving on campus and will be a big weapon for the squad out of the pen as a lefty. Sneaky huge get for Texas that can play a big role, especially as the back end glue or bridge guy.

In addition, here are some notes on a few of the returning players from the 2023 baseball season by @AaronLittleOB :

Peyton Powell -- Redshirt Senior INF
  • Powell will be locked into the middle of the lineup after a breakout year last season (.339 AVG .979 OPS). Powell handles lefties and righties extremely well and plays a tremendous third base. He can move all over the diamond if needed, but as of now, I expect him to be the third baseman.

Porter Brown -- Redshirt Senior OF
  • Speaking of left-handed hitters that handle LHP and RHP with ease. Downtown Porter Brown will be back in the outfield. Coach Caleb Longley is convinced that Porter can be a 20+ HR guy after slugging .548 with 10 bombs in 2023. Look for Brown to be far more aggressive early in counts this upcoming season.

Heston Tole -- Senior RHP
  • Tole had the lowest ERA (1.90) on the team a season ago and was very reliable out of the bullpen in 23.2 IP. Tole’s season was cut short due to an injury, hopefully he will be back on the mound in some capacity this fall. Should he be healthy, Tole will be back chucking sliders in high-leverage spots in 2024.

Charlie Hurley -- Senior RHP
  • Hurley had a rollercoaster of a season in 2023. It’s fair to say he spent some time in David Pierce’s doghouse and yet, Hurley was on the mound when Texas clinched the Big 12 Title against West Virginia. Hurley should be in the mix for the Sunday starter job and can provide length out of the bullpen when necessary.

Jack O’Dowd -- Senior INF
  • I am pretty high on O’Dowd for this upcoming season. The quality of his at-bats increased throughout the year and I thought it was really coming together for him at the plate at the end of the season. He has sneaky pop to all parts of the park and is fine defensively at second base. I’m predicting a big year for O’Dowd in his second season as a full-time starter.

Andre Duplantier II -- Redshirt Junior RHP
  • Duplantier somehow managed a 2.40 ERA despite a poor WHIP of 1.73. It’s tough to get too excited about Duplantier at this point in his career, but I will say, the guy always seems to find his way into the bullpen equation. David Pierce likes his cutter/slider a lot. I’m keeping my expectations low, but I’m sure Duplantier will earn innings one way or another as he always does.

Lebarron Johnson Jr. -- Redshirt Junior RHP
  • LBJ made 20 appearances in 2023 and allowed more than 3 ER just twice. His command is no longer a question mark, it’s a strength. If such a market existed, I would make LBJ the betting favorite for 2024 Big 12 Pitcher of the Year. Going into 2024 the question is no longer talent, it is can he handle a full season of workload and lofty expectations.

Cam Constantine -- Redshirt Junior INF
  • The ultimate locker room guy is back. Having guys like Constantine around to keep the vibes high throughout a LONG college baseball season is more important than many might think.

Chase Lummus -- Redshirt Junior LHP
  • Lummus got some run last year when things got thin in the bullpen. Perhaps Lummus emerges as a lefty who can be an option against left-handed bats, but he’s not a guy who should be protected to get important outs as of now.

Tanner Witt -- Redshirt Junior RHP
  • Witt turned down A LOT of money to return to Austin for another season. I can’t decide if I should just consider Witt a lock to be awesome or if he falls into more of an “X-factor” category for me. I will be extremely eager to get reports on Witt’s velocity and effectiveness through the fall and spring leading up to the year.

Kimble Schuessler -- Redshirt Junior C
  • Schuessler missed all of 2023 with an injury and will now compete with Rylan Galvan, Nik Sanders and Oliver Service for innings behind the plate.

David Shaw -- Junior LHP
  • Shaw was great last season before his season ended with an elbow injury that was considered serious. We will get official word on Shaw before the season starts, but he might not be a factor in 2024.

Ace Whitehead -- Junior OF/LHP
  • Ace really emerged on the mound last season as an option to eat innings, start midweek games and get lefties out in big moments. I’d expect a similar role on the bump this year. Whitehead also will be a factor in what is currently an ambiguous Texas outfield aside from Porter Brown. I’m personally hoping for a David vs.Goliath CF battle between Whitehead and 6’6 freshman Will Gasparino.

Luke Harrison -- Sophomore LHP
  • Harrison missed all of 2023 with an elbow injury after a strong freshman campaign. We will need official word from David Pierce to be sure, but Harrison is unlikely to be available to start the year. An April/May return for Harrison is a safe projection for now.

Cody Howard -- Redshirt Sophomore RHP
  • Howard battled injuries his freshman year at Baylor and never seemed to be 100% healthy for the Horns in 2023. His stuff has potential, but it’s hard to develop as a pitcher without consistent innings due to injury/arm fatigue. Howard has shown his velo is back this summer, consistently hitting 94mph on the gun for the Victoria. Howard ended up with a 4-0 record in 9 games with a 3.12 ERA.

Max Grubbs -- Sophomore RHP
  • Grubbs struggled in just 8.2 IP last year as a freshman. He has a lot of work to do in order to be a factor in 2024.Grubbs went 0-1 this summer with a 4.05 ERA in 4 games. Grubbs struggled with his strike/walk ratio, so that will be something he must work on this Fall.

Cade O’Hara -- Sophomore INF
  • I famously said I would eat my hat if O’Hara made an error before his start in Arlington and then O’Hara made two errors early in the game. He has lost my trust, but I still love watching O’Hara take in-and-out before the games. He’s a nice defensive option off the bench.

Max Belyeu -- Sophomore OF
  • Belyeu hit .333 with an .888 OPS across 123 at-bats for the Santa Barbara Foresters this summer. Belyeu hits lefty and is a strong candidate for a second-year breakout in 2024. He should be a platoon bat at the very worst.

Jared Thomas -- Sophomore INF
  • *Insert ESPN 30 for 30 voice* -- “What if I told you that changing a Walk-Up Song could ignite a season, career, team and city?” I feel comfortable calling Thomas the best position player on this team. He should be on the shortlist for Big 12 Player of the Year after ending 2023 on an absolute tear.

Rylan Galvan -- Sophomore C
  • Galvan struggled with the Foresters over the summer but showed great potential during his freshman year with the Longhorns. He is still pretty raw in the batter’s box and behind the plate, but he could be a big-time player with the right development. The question is whether or not he can be good enough to earn the consistent playing time that he needs in order to develop.

Jalin Flores -- Sophomore IF
  • With Mitchell Daly transferring to Kentucky, the starting SS job is Jalin’s to lose. Flores took over at the end of last year and had some big moments down the stretch of what was a frustrating year for the big-time prospect. Is he making all of the routine plays? How is his eye at the plate? Flores hit .264 this summer for the Forresters. Is he ready to lead this team as the full-time SS? These are the questions that will be asked of Flores entering fall ball.

Jayden Duplantier -- Sophomore UTIL
  • One of the more fascinating players ahead of the 2024 season is Jayden Duplantier. The electric speedster can impact the game in many ways and can play infield and outfield. Based on the roster, I believe Duplantier is more likely to earn playing time in the outfield. He was over-aggressive at the plate at times last year, but that’s something that can be fixed. I’m eager to see what Duplantier brings to the table this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News