ADVERTISEMENT

Texas gives Keondre Coburn a lot to think about during his official visit (story)

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
zato4x4i0cyk95t2h710

Heading into last weekend’s official visits, one of the top priorities for the Texas Longhorn coaching staff was to zero in on the commitment of Keondre Coburn.

The Houston Westfield defensive tackle has been committed to Texas since August and while he has maintained all along that he’s solid with his pledge, he has also talked about the possibility of taking other official visits. The hope for Texas, of course, was that last weekend’s official visit would go well enough that Coburn would no longer feel the need to check out other schools.

It sounds like Texas definitely made a strong impression.

“I’m still committed to UT so I’m not really thinking about any other schools,” Coburn said following his Texas visit.

Originally, Coburn was not planning to sign in the December period. Instead, he wanted to take other visits and wait until February to sign his letter of intent. Now, he’s unsure what he’ll do.

“I don’t know. I’ve got a lot to think about right now,” Coburn said.

The Rivals250 defensive tackle said the highlight of the visit was being around the other recruits who were on campus. In his conversations with the Texas coaches, Coburn said the staff talked to him about the direction the program is heading and what it would mean to be a part of the Texas program.

“They talked about the future at Texas, talking about the usual stuff you have to go through to be a player at Texas,” Coburn said.

Needless to say, the Texas coaches would prefer Coburn to not visit other campuses – “They’re nervous I guess, but I don’t know,” Coburn said – as he’s the Longhorns’ only defensive line commitment. If Texas can hold onto his pledge, Coburn is the type of player who could contend for immediate playing time, making him one of the Horns’ more valuable commitments. Coburn is still a bit up in the air on when he’ll sign, but after spending the weekend in Austin, it’s looking more and more likely that it’s just a matter of when he signs with Texas, rather than if.

Coburn is a four-star prospect and is ranked as the nation’s 155th-best player regardless of position. He’s the eighth-ranked defensive tackle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News