ADVERTISEMENT

Texas named college football's second-best program

RoboCocks21

Sep 25, 2014
Dallas, Texas

Texas might have gone 6-7 in new coachCharlie Strong’s first year, but that hasn’t dented the Longhorns’ overall strength as a program, according to The Sporting News.

The publication picked Texas as the current No. 2 program in college football, writing:

So the Longhorns haven’t been relevant since 2009. Big deal. Walk around the football facilities in Austin; NFL teams are envious. Players (and coaches) lack for nothing, and have their own television network. They’re also the big dog (sorry, Texas A&M) in the state that pumps out more FBS talent than any other. When the Longhorns have it rolling with the right coach (see that?), recruits beg to play for them. Mack Brown was there in the early and mid 2000s; Charlie Strong will get there, too.

Defending national champion Ohio State was the only program ranked ahead of Texas.

Barring the Longhorns finding a franchise quarterback prior to the 2015 season, this next year could again be a bit of a rebuilding one, though Texas looks poised to make a potential major move in 2016 with a bevy of young talent that includes the No. 10 recruiting class according to the 247Sports Composite. That class in particular showed just how dangerous Strong could be … after a slow start, Strong and co. turned up the heat late, closing extremely well and inking the No. 1 player in the state in linebacker Malik Jefferson.

The Sporting News Top 10 College Football Programs

1. Ohio State 
2. Texas 
3. USC 
4. LSU 
5. Florida 
6. Michigan 
7. Alabama 
8. Florida State 
9. Oregon 
10. Notre Dame

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by dj701919:
This thread is going to be very interesting.

lol yup... gonna be a lot of butthurt, angry and envious aggys loser trolls trying to explain this away........ maybe a few others from other teams as well... but probably full blown aggy retard meltdown coming soon to this thread...

lol, I love how that article took a shot at the aggys as well.

As much as I hate OU they should be higher. They are a blueblood program.

This post was edited on 3/3 1:29 PM by Falko

Originally posted by dj701919:

Originally posted by bubba2023:
I would put OU before Oregon.
So OU at 9 and Oregon at 10?
I wouldn't put Oregon in the top 10 at this point. Nor would I have Texas that high. This looks more like an all time list than current. I don't really know the criteria for how the author ranked, but obviously there are some historic tie ins, as all of the programs are blue bloods of college football, but they certainly aren't all at their peak.

Texas is right were they need to be, top 5 because of Alumni, tradition, facilities, money, TV contract, recruits, City of Austin. I could go on.

This post was edited on 3/3 1:31 PM by Falko

Originally posted by Falko:
Texas is right were they need to be, top 5 because of Alumni, tradition, facilities, money, TV contract, recruits, City of Austin. I could go on.

This post was edited on 3/3 1:31 PM by Falko
I wouldn't put Texas ahead of Alabama as a football program either from a historic or current perspective. Certainly a better school, that's not debatable, but strictly speaking football programs it's very debatable.

Falco your list is right on, but you only said money once! You should have listed money between everything else you listed each time. Texas has money and makes money at a rate that makes everyone else jealous

Yes but, you font JUST go to college to play football.... i mean most athletes don't. It's your quality of education, the city the school is located in, facilities, the list goes on.

And we don't have to burn couches! Plus we are the 1st team ever to beat them at night in the Shoe!

Hook'em

Originally posted by RoboCocks21:
Â

Texas might have gone 6-7 in new coachCharlie Strong’s first year, but that hasn’t dented the Longhorns’ overall strength as a program, according to The Sporting News.

The publication picked Texas as the current No. 2 program in college football, writing:

So the Longhorns haven’t been relevant since 2009. Big deal. Walk around the football facilities in Austin; NFL teams are envious. Players (and coaches) lack for nothing, and have their own television network. They’re also the big dog (sorry, Texas A&M) in the state that pumps out more FBS talent than any other. When the Longhorns have it rolling with the right coach (see that?), recruits beg to play for them. Mack Brown was there in the early and mid 2000s; Charlie Strong will get there, too.

Defending national champion Ohio State was the only program ranked ahead of Texas.

Barring the Longhorns finding a franchise quarterback prior to the 2015 season, this next year could again be a bit of a rebuilding one, though Texas looks poised to make a potential major move in 2016 with a bevy of young talent that includes the No. 10 recruiting class according to the 247Sports Composite. That class in particular showed just how dangerous Strong could be … after a slow start, Strong and co. turned up the heat late, closing extremely well and inking the No. 1 player in the state in linebacker Malik Jefferson.

The Sporting News Top 10 College Football Programs

1. Ohio StateÂ
2. TexasÂ
3. USCÂ
4. LSUÂ
5. FloridaÂ
6. MichiganÂ
7. AlabamaÂ
8. Florida StateÂ
9. OregonÂ
10. Notre Dame

This article references current. Based on Current (I consider current to be last 10 Years). I would have the following in no particular order:

OU
UT
Bama
Oregon
FSU
tOSU
Michigan State
Baylor
Auburn
TCU
Florida

Originally posted by clob94:
Yes but, you font JUST go to college to play football.... i mean most athletes don't. It's your quality of education, the city the school is located in, facilities, the list goes on.
Oh yeah absolutely, if the list is framed as best programs for a recruit you include academics, city, facilities. If the list is framed as most accomplished then where it's located is irrelevant.

Originally posted by Falko:
Alabama Tuscaloosa < Texas Austin
Read my post above. If the list is ranking best schools/programs to attend, I absolutely agree. But location has no relevance to actual accomplishments. I don't know the intent of the authors.

Well the link mentioned recruiting so I figured being one the best cities in the nation it was part of the equation.

Lol. NFL teams are jealous of our facilities? But, but, barbershop? Where are all the delusional aggy idiots?

Sweet my thread got the best posters on here. Sir Scholz, Mr. Metcalf himself, and the all but famous hype guy FlourBluffHorn! Thanks guys! But where are those darn aggys?

Wow... has anyone else noticed that NO aggys have even bothered/dared to get involved in this thread yet? LMAO.. perhaps they are starting to understand tis tricky thing called reality.......

Not even being a homer, any list that doesnt have OU on the top 10 is a farce. I dont care where on the top 10 you put them, but they are there no doubt about it.

I'd define "best" as those programs that historically (ok, a few down years is ok) have talent that if all the stars align properly could win a national championship. Over the past few decades the programs on the list seem to fit the bill. #1, #2, #3 etc makes no sense to me.

and, Go Cats !!

Originally posted by Deweygolfer:
This article references current. Based on Current (I consider current to be last 10 Years). I would have the following in no particular order:
OU
UT
Bama
Oregon
FSU
tOSU
Michigan State
Baylor
Auburn
TCU
Florida
1) OU belongs on the list.

2) It belongs less on the list if you use your 'current' ie past 10 year criteria. And there are a bunch of teams that belong more than some of the programs you mentioned.
Take for instance BU. I mean BU has like what 1 conf champ in last 10 years and no NC sniffs. Surely 10 other programs can claim more than that. Hell they didn't even win that much with Robert Griffin a Heisman winner at QB. I love what Briles is doing, but you are letting last year cloud your judgement of a 10 year period. Hell I just looked it up and they have only finished ranked in 3 of those years. With a #7 finish and 2 #13s. Thats weak sauce for a 10 year period. Texas has been stinking up the joint and can claim better than that. Hell Texas has an NC in this 10 year period.

Sorry but I'd start my list of best of last 10 years by putting the last 10 NC winners there. So LSU belongs.
OSU
FSU
Bama
Auburn
Florida
LSU
(and 2005 Texas fits that criteria but I might not put them on the list due to a 2 bad years out of 10, but I'd have to look at overall wins during this period to see if they fit)
Now you can start adding your Oregon and OU and MSU....hell you can stop there, thats 10. Maybe TCU.

In my opinion the best programs in college football are:

Texas
Rice
Houston
TCU
SMU
Baylor
Arkansas
Texas Tech
Texas A&M

But I wish everyone was still running the wishbone, veer, and triple option.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT