ADVERTISEMENT

Texas picks up OL commitment (story with quotes posted)

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
It's been a busy week for the Texas Longhorns. In the span of the last seven days, the Longhorns have now picked up four commitments, with offensive lineman Derek Kerstetter joining the Texas commitment list on Monday afternoon.

Kerstetter, out of San Antonio Reagan, had been committed to Oklahoma State before announcing his decision to flip to the Longhorns.

"After a lot of talks and prayers I have decided to commit to the University of Texas," Kerstetter said in a statement on Twitter.

The 6-5, 290-pound Kerstetter picked up a Texas offer earlier this month and the Longhorns immediately became a factor in his recruitment despite him having committed to Oklahoma State back in June. The current UT coaches, including OL coach Derek Warehime, had been recruiting Kerstetter when they were at Houston, and Kerstetter quickly set up an official visit once Texas offered. It turns out, Texas didn't need the visit to flip the Army All-American.

"The opportunity to represent the state of Texas and play close to my friends and family was something I couldn't pass up," Kerstetter said. "I'm very thankful of this opportunity."

When first offered by the Longhorns, Kerstetter said it was Texas' history and winning tradition that stood out the most. He'll now have a chance to experience the tradition of the UT football program first-hand.

"I'm excited to do my part to help bring Texas to the top with coach (Tom) Herman, coach Warehime and the rest of the new staff," Kerstetter said.

Up next, Kerstetter will begin practicing for the Army Bowl, where he'll have a chance to represent his home city in the nationally-televised game.

“I’m just looking forward to going out there, playing in front of the troops. It's a special time, getting to perform in front of my city,” Kerstetter said.

A projected tackle, Kerstetter said he's looking forward to the challenge of facing off with some of the nation's top talents in the Army Bowl, and he'll use that experience to continue to work on his craft.

"I have to improve on my overall game. I think I'm a physical player, I work hard and try to develop as a player every single day," Kerstetter said.

A three-star prospect, Kerstetter ranks No. 83 on the Lone Star Recruiting Top 100.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News