Texas played a pretty good game overall

durty_nacho

Gold Member
Feb 6, 2008
Ellis County, TX
Vanderbilt was lucky to be in the game. They had two picks from tipped passes that they turned into touchdowns, which were on Quinn, but those things happen. That wasn't from shit play calling or head scratching decision making, just tough breaks that happen in football. And Vanderbilt is the type of team to stick around longer than they really should be able to. Reminded me of some Snyder K-State teams.

I didn't see any really questionable calls in the first three quarters except maybe the PI against Texas with 5:33~ left in the 3rd that led to Vanderbilt's second touchdown. Other than that, and through the first three quarters, Texas controlled the line of scrimmage and game. Gave up a couple sacks but the O-line didn't look bad to my eyes.

Quinn checked the ball down a lot up to that point, but why wouldn't he? Texas was picking up first down after first down on those plays. Sure you can go bigger, but if its working, don't fix it. Just take the safe completion and move the chains. If it wasn't for a couple untimely penalties and some unlucky turnovers, Texas has 35 points to Vanderbilt's 7 or less going into the 4th.

The first series of the 4th Texas got their first untimely holding call, and it was a legit call. Second series, Quin throws deep once and then picks up a big 3rd down conversion throwing to the middle despite that drive getting another hold that put them at 3rd and 20. The offense sputters after that for sure.

There's 8 minutes left in the game at this point and Texas has to punt. Then they get the ball back about 5 minutes left in the 4th and the hold on Helm is called, which was a real shit call. But they end up in the red zone nonetheless, and fail to punch it in. This series, in my opinion, was one of the only real black eyes on offense where I felt they came up short given the circumstances.

Then you have the pick-6 penalty, which was tough. Overall, I think Texas managed this game just fine and it was just one of those games. The score doesn't reflect how dominate Texas was in this game, and the offense played better than the score suggests. Vanderbilt was pretty much fighting for their lives the entire game.

It isn't like Texas was a shell of themselves all game. They ran well, Quin threw relatively well, defense played outstanding. Just a few things went against Texas and a team like Vanderbilt is the type of team that will stick you if that happens.

Last edited:

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.