ADVERTISEMENT

Texas QB Sam Ehlinger requested evaluation from NFL College Advisory Committee

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
SAN ANTONIO -- Texas junior quarterback Sam Ehlinger said he requested an evaluation from the NFL College Advisory Committee.

Ehlinger said his main goal is to win the Alamo Bowl. After the bowl game, Ehlinger will determine if he will return for his senior season.

"What these coaches have done for me is unexplainable," Ehlinger said. "Obviously, with the God given talents that he blessed me with, and then you add that in with a combination of their expertise and the way that they coach. I mean, it's out of my control. I was blessed with the ability, and they have been able to fine tune those gifts, so all credit goes to them.

"They've helped me in every single way imaginable. As a person as a player, and I can't thank them enough. I love them to death, and obviously, the dream for every quarterback, or every college football player, is to have an opportunity to play in the NFL. I thank them for for giving me that opportunity to even discuss it. It's a blessing to be able to even talk about playing that game at the next level."

Here is my explanation of the process from a column in March:

The college advisory committee is comprised of five to eight NFL professionals. Those guys usually hold the job titles of general manager, director of player personnel, or head of college scouting. In other words, a scouting service does not have any input. This is strictly an NFL-run process.

A junior football player submits his name and requests that members of the committee watch their film and deliver a professional feedback. At that point, it is up to people on the committee to watch that player’s film. Three members of the committee could choose to watch it. Everybody could elect to critique the film. Nobody is required to watch every tape submitted by juniors.

The committee members are given the player’s height, weight and film. Nothing else.

Once the film is dissected, that junior receives notes a one-paragraph verdict.

Here are the draft grades players receive:

---- First round

--- Second round

--- Go back to school

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News